ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: "home" install  (Read 6802 times)

Mark Amber

"home" install
« on: July 06, 2017, 11:58:39 AM »

I'm looking for resources in getting in to the "home" market. I'm not talking about Sonos. I'm not talking about those overpriced "audiophile" systems.

I am talking about those houses that have all the rooms with individual control.

Now let me be clear: I have a good introduction. I filled in for a house install for a local company that uses control 4 and Bose. So like every speaker was Bose.

The resources I am looking for is who carries stuff other than Bose for the home market? And what other systems are available for control? Is Control 4 still a leader?

I'm going to also try AVS forums but I know folks here can be a good resource.

And yes I'm completely open to using pro lines in home although I must say a lot of more inexpensive pro lines focus on SI instead of full range. I'm looking for a BGM system not a emergency address. Obviously. I know QSC might be a good first step.

I'm in the Chicago area so if you could leave any business contacts for sales reps that would be cool.

Again sorry if this is not "pro" enough. It's just my main background is in pro. Maybe Ivan wants to tell me how danley works great in homes too?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: "home" install
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 12:39:06 PM »

Maybe Ivan wants to tell me how danley works great in homes too?

Well lots of people think so-even those not in the pro industry.

There is an install going in that has 50 or so SH50s for the home theater.

It is a Dolby atmos system for some of his "close friends".
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Mark Amber

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 12:41:17 PM »

Well lots of people think so-even those not in the pro industry.

There is an install going in that has 50 or so SH50s for the home theater.

It is a Dolby atmos system for some of his "close friends".
Hahahahahaha no. 50 SH50 would not even fit in the house nor would the AC be able to keep up with cooling the amps  (well maybe... Why don't you send over 50 and I can try it here in my own house)

But seriously I love danley I'll be checking it out.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 04:06:30 PM »

I'm looking for resources in getting in to the "home" market. I'm not talking about Sonos. I'm not talking about those overpriced "audiophile" systems.

I am talking about those houses that have all the rooms with individual control.

Now let me be clear: I have a good introduction. I filled in for a house install for a local company that uses control 4 and Bose. So like every speaker was Bose.

The resources I am looking for is who carries stuff other than Bose for the home market? And what other systems are available for control? Is Control 4 still a leader?

I'm going to also try AVS forums but I know folks here can be a good resource.

And yes I'm completely open to using pro lines in home although I must say a lot of more inexpensive pro lines focus on SI instead of full range. I'm looking for a BGM system not a emergency address. Obviously. I know QSC might be a good first step.

I'm in the Chicago area so if you could leave any business contacts for sales reps that would be cool.

Again sorry if this is not "pro" enough. It's just my main background is in pro. Maybe Ivan wants to tell me how danley works great in homes too?

I've got a Danley sub in my basement, it's pretty fantastic.  DTS-20.  I'm not running it anywhere near it's limit.  My wife was a little incredulous when she first saw it but then I played some of her music and turned the sub on/off.  I won her over very quick.  Plus it's a nice bench.

As far as the home stuff, figure out what lines you want to rep and get with a distributor (or a few) who carry those lines.  Most of my business is freelance and consultant work but I got accounts with distributors when I needed some dealer-only gear for personal use.  As a result I've been able to do some sales to my clients now and save them some money.  You'll need to have all your business paperwork in order as well as having tax ids.  If you're going to be buying for resale as a tax exempt entity then you'll have to start tangling with sales tax and quarterly filing (or whatever your state requires).

I've picked up additional relationships with distributors as clients have wanted equipment that I didn't have access too.

Some product lines just need the distributor relationship.  Others require additional mfgr approval.  I don't have anything that requires yearly sales minimums or buy-ins at this point.

Mark Amber

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 04:10:30 PM »

I've got a Danley sub in my basement, it's pretty fantastic.  DTS-20.  I'm not running it anywhere near it's limit.  My wife was a little incredulous when she first saw it but then I played some of her music and turned the sub on/off.  I won her over very quick.  Plus it's a nice bench.

As far as the home stuff, figure out what lines you want to rep and get with a distributor (or a few) who carry those lines.  Most of my business is freelance and consultant work but I got accounts with distributors when I needed some dealer-only gear for personal use.  As a result I've been able to do some sales to my clients now and save them some money.  You'll need to have all your business paperwork in order as well as having tax ids.  If you're going to be buying for resale as a tax exempt entity then you'll have to start tangling with sales tax and quarterly filing (or whatever your state requires).

I've picked up additional relationships with distributors as clients have wanted equipment that I didn't have access too.

Some product lines just need the distributor relationship.  Others require additional mfgr approval.  I don't have anything that requires yearly sales minimums or buy-ins at this point.
Right... I already have some of those relationships set up so I'm looking to try something that is more geared towards home. I am going to check out danley but I know they have some stringent requirements for dealing their products. I have a relationship with the sales rep for my area so it's possible he could set me up with that.

I am more looking for brand names to start my search with... Or brand names to avoid!

Lee Douglas

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 04:48:03 PM »

How much control do you want?  A house full  of rooms with a pair of speakers and a impedance matching volume control running off of a single second zone on a receiver with an RTI remote can be plenty for a lot of people.  If they're looking for multi-zone, multi-audio input systems like Control 4, then RTI, Niles, Audio Access and any number of other companies will offer a solution.  If they want to get really serious, you can start getting into iPads in every room that will also control a local system and bring in other information.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 07:20:49 PM by Lee Douglas »
My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot...

Mark Amber

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 05:02:40 PM »

How much control do you want?  A house full  of rooms with a pair of speakers and a impedance matching volume control running of a single second zone on a receiver with an RTI remote can be plenty for a lot of people.  If they're looking for multi-zone, multi-audio input systems like Control 4, then RTI, Niles, Audio Access and any number of other companies will offer a solution.  If they want to get really serious, you can start getting into iPads in every room that will also control a local system and bring in other information.
Those are all great suggestions. I'm also wondering about speakers themselves too. How do the QSC A(X) and other products like that work in a home setting. They tend to be more designed for wall mount which is fine but is the SI focused voicing something that is just in my head? Can you get good home audio with pro speakers? (I know that's a loaded question) I love a lot of pro speakers but I wouldn't for a moment think they are good for mid field listening.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 09:57:07 PM »

Frankly I find most professional, as well as many upper end consumer, level in-ceiling speakers to be over-kill for a speaker pointed straight down into furniture and thick carpet from a ten foot ceiling.  Sure it probably sounds pretty good if you can manage to be under both of them while lying on the floor or something.  Meanwhile anybody actually using the room will be listening to most or all of them off-axis elsewhere in the room.  Like most distributed audio, you can get better coverage with more speakers spread around.  A small room won't need it, but a room that sees a lot of use will benefit more with two pairs of modest speakers and provisions for a small sub with speaker level inputs, than a single better pair of speakers.  Highly subject to the laws of diminishing returns.  Again, you have to define the expectation of your end user before you can really design a home system.  Or any system for that matter.
This space for rent

Mark Amber

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 10:01:16 PM »

Frankly I find most professional, as well as many upper end consumer, level in-ceiling speakers to be over-kill for a speaker pointed straight down into furniture and thick carpet from a ten foot ceiling.  Sure it probably sounds pretty good if you can manage to be under both of them while lying on the floor or something.  Meanwhile anybody actually using the room will be listening to most or all of them off-axis elsewhere in the room.  Like most distributed audio, you can get better coverage with more speakers spread around.  A small room won't need it, but a room that sees a lot of use will benefit more with two pairs of modest speakers and provisions for a small sub with speaker level inputs, than a single better pair of speakers.  Highly subject to the laws of diminishing returns.  Again, you have to define the expectation of your end user before you can really design a home system.  Or any system for that matter.
That makes sense. I'm really a sit and listen kind of person. I listen to music and radio program as an activity that takes all my focus. Obviously for a commercial system that's not what is going on. But I have to wrap my head around the fact that people are not going to be "laying on the floor equidistant from the ceiling speakers" cause if all I had were ceiling speakers I sure as hell would be. Although I do like laying on the floor a bit much... Anyone who knows me would tell you that

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2017, 02:54:03 AM »

Home stuff for homes and Commercial for commercial unless there's a reason for it, which there sometimes is. Most of the time commercial equipment is a good bit more money than home and for good reason but at the rate most homeowners use their equipment home goods are the perfect match. We install pro gear in peoples home gyms all the time, we also install pro outdoor speakers whenever we need to build a system thats really hard to blow up cause the guys wants to have a pool party with the entire zip code.

Do yourself a favor and fly to San Diego in Sept for CEDIA. You'll get most of your questions answered, and come away with a few too. If you don't want to spend the $ to attend the CEDIA Expo I wouldn't get in the biz. There's work out there for legit operations, I suppose for trunk slammers too, but people respect legitimacy and they know when you've put in your homework.

Oh, and ease up on Sonos. I've been a GOLD level sonos dealer for years now and I can't tell you how many times a rep has shown up telling me they have the "next sonos killer" and they're laughable at best. Of course there are compromises but you'll NEVER beat the ease of use and long term reliability. We buy $5k-20k/ month in sonos and I haven't sent a defective unit back to them in 4 years, maybe more.
Ryan Davis

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 05:26:46 PM »

Those are all great suggestions. I'm also wondering about speakers themselves too. How do the QSC A(X) and other products like that work in a home setting. They tend to be more designed for wall mount which is fine but is the SI focused voicing something that is just in my head? Can you get good home audio with pro speakers? (I know that's a loaded question) I love a lot of pro speakers but I wouldn't for a moment think they are good for mid field listening.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "SI voicing"
-SI always means this to me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_System_of_Units

Anyways to answer your question, I've had high-end home clients rave about how "clear and better sounding" the ceiling speakers I put in for them are. 
They were just EVID c8.2's in black. 
Perhaps the consumer grade manufacturers are focusing too much on critical listening in a precision environment but don't accommodate for large spaces, cocktail parties and rooms that open-up to the outside shoreline like many of the high-end builds I've had to deal with.  Many of them resembled "commercial" spaces more than residential. 
One other aspect is that consumer stuff tends to be open-chassis, relying much more on the building type and insulation whereas the pro stuff comes with backboxes and is much more consistent.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Lee Douglas

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2017, 05:35:20 PM »

One other aspect is that consumer stuff tends to be open-chassis, relying much more on the building type and insulation whereas the pro stuff comes with backboxes and is much more consistent.

Speaking of this, local codes have gotten much more strict with the installation methods of residential systems. Many of them require that you have an 06 Journeyman license to install and an Admin for the business.  When they come around looking for your permit, you may want to have your duck in a row.
My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot...

MikeHarris

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 04:23:52 AM »

The gorilla in the room is Crestron
It costs the same to properly integrate a $20k Denon system as a $200k Genelec. As most at Infocomm have seen they are waist deep in our side of contracting.
I see the going rate at $175 hr...so skip med school

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 02:56:03 PM »

For high end Home Theater speakers, don't forget JTR:
http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio.html
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 02:56:03 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 20 queries.