ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Electro Voice ETX-12P review  (Read 21493 times)

Brandon Wright

Re: Electro Voice ETX-12P review
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 02:36:06 PM »

EV uses the term FIR-drive to describe the processing suite. They may be using the FIR block to implement the minimum phase (normal PEQ), because these filters have all of their energy up front and therefore do not impart any additional delay.

However, they are not using FIR filters for phase correction in the sub (non-minimum phase). When FIR filters  are used in this way, the resulting latency is directly tied to the frequency of interests and no fancy new maths can fix that.

Guy Graham

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 10:59:37 PM »

EV uses the term FIR-drive to describe the processing suite. They may be using the FIR block to implement the minimum phase (normal PEQ), because these filters have all of their energy up front and therefore do not impart any additional delay.

However, they are not using FIR filters for phase correction in the sub (non-minimum phase). When FIR filters  are used in this way, the resulting latency is directly tied to the frequency of interests and no fancy new maths can fix that.

I originally suspected the "FIR Drive" was referring to the same DSP module used in each box in the range, and thus could be justified in terms of its presence on the subs - even if they did not use FIR filter capability.

When you refer to the EV processing potentially used for minimum phase, do you mean as correction for the effects of high and low pass crossovers on the sub? Or would it reduce the phase shift inherent in the design reflex subwoofers?

I assume you mean the phase shift caused by normal PEQ, to achieve correction in a similar way to an all pass filter used to correct phase shifts - such as those caused by IIR crossover filters?

I have somewhere interesting learning materials, separate from the MLA stuff. These describe how FIR filter creation  involves calculating numbers of "taps" - which determined unavoidable issues, such as how latency increases as FIR filters are applied to decreasing frequencies.

Unfortunately right now I can't find those papers on the science, theory and practical uses for modern digital filters. However they would have been written some time ago now.

I appreciate this is relatively young technology, that could have been improved in recent years - such as via the "better maths" suggested above.

Yet I had a strong impression that the latency increase as frequency decreases issue with FIR audio filters, was not a characteristic expected to improve as the technology used to create / implement them advanced.

Sadly my understanding is compromised through not using this in any practical way right now. However I expect to in the future, and I find these subjects interesting in their own right!

Sent from my GT-I8160

Sydney Snyder

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 10:03:57 PM »

Hey, im thinking of getting 2 ZLX 12P's with 2 EKX 12SSP as my new set up. I know those are not the ones you have but from your experience of doing the same brand and same 2 tops with 2 subs set up, how good is it? Too much wiring? too heavy to carry in a SUV?

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 10:43:30 PM »

EV makes great stuff in all of there lines. They do not produce duds. The ZLX and EKX are their lower tier lines and will be about the same in weight and performance to any similarly priced and like marketed product. I think for the money, the EV lines have the best performance to dollar ratio. They are not the best, but they are also not very expensive.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Neil Cox

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 08:50:27 AM »

EV makes great stuff in all of there lines. They do not produce duds. The ZLX and EKX are their lower tier lines and will be about the same in weight and performance to any similarly priced and like marketed product. I think for the money, the EV lines have the best performance to dollar ratio. They are not the best, but they are also not very expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neil Cox

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 08:56:12 AM »

Hi Luke,

When I first purchased these speakers EV ETX 12p I had problems with clipping but after researching and loads of help in this great forum, I found that I was sending to much of a hot signal to the mix, also I wasn't using the DSP on the back properly I would keep it on 0DB
But after learning about setting gain structure from helpful people in this forum and then using the DSP theses Speakers are Amazing I had a room full with around 90 people in maybe more, it was a charity night, anyway I had nothing but compliments of other performers and even the compare said they are brilliant speakers he said I can here them crystal clear at the rear of the room which was about from the stage 25ft away

I love these speakers they are fantastic once you run them correctly with the gain structure set properly and the DSP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Elsdon

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 03:56:02 PM »

Hi,
Does anyone know were I could obtain a circuit diagram for the electrovoice ETX-12 P
Regards,
Peter

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber