ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Are linear phase filters really the holy grail?  (Read 21179 times)

Peter Hvedstrup

• Disco-Flex
Are linear phase filters really the holy grail?
« on: June 29, 2017, 04:21:02 AM »

Hi all

I own a small tannoy VQ60 + VS218DR system using the factory DSP with the correct preset. I really like the system and it sounds great. I now have the possibility to get a Lake LM26 DSP so i can use Tannoys newest preset from the Lake Load Librery with linear phase filters in place. The thing is that i don't really have the possibility to test if it's a improvement worth the cash since there is no other VQ in Denmark. Does anyone have any expirience with this system or just moving to new settings with liniar phase filters on ther rig?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Are linear phase filters really the holy grail?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 07:44:27 AM »

Hi all

I own a small tannoy VQ60 + VS218DR system using the factory DSP with the correct preset. I really like the system and it sounds great. I now have the possibility to get a Lake LM26 DSP so i can use Tannoys newest preset from the Lake Load Librery with linear phase filters in place. The thing is that i don't really have the possibility to test if it's a improvement worth the cash since there is no other VQ in Denmark. Does anyone have any expirience with this system or just moving to new settings with liniar phase filters on ther rig?
Everything is a compromise.

Linear phase filters, FIR filters etc can improve the phase response of a system.

However-they will introduce additional delay to the signal, sometimes A LOT (depending on the freq).

Is this acceptable to YOUR situation?  In some case it is acceptable, in other cases not at all.

So it depends.

In many cases there is more to "the total answer" than what shows up on the computer screen.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Peter Morris

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 09:38:54 AM »

Hi all

Hi Peter,

As Ivan said the FIR filters will add some extra delay but in general for FOH application this is never an issue … and your VQ60 + VS218DR system is I assume, FOH.

You can achieve a flatter amplitude and phase response than you have ever had.  This will make your vocal sound more real and very clear. Each instrument and voice will be easier to separate in the mix. Your highs, mids and lows won’t really sound any better (I hope this makes sense), but things will be clearer and more natural, more defined and separate in the mix. I think it’s easier for your ears and brain to process these signals and separate the instruments when their phase response is relatively flat.

This is where most manufactures are going.

Last week I just up-grade our budget line-array boxes firmware, dB Technologies T12s and T8’s with FIR settings and they sounded and arrayed better than ever – amassing performance for what they are.  The upgrade added 2ms.  Today I measure the performance of our RCF TT22a-mk2’s which are now using FIR filters – very impressive.

I was also involved with the development of the FIR settings that Turbosound (before MG) use in their Flex Array, that add 2.5ms on the Lake.    At the moment I trying to develop new and improved settings for these … (I hope) … the initial test are promising.

I sure everyone’s mileage will differ, but for me I thinks it’s worth it. (I'm assuming Tannoy have done a good job)

BTW Ivan, I so want to put some FIR’s on some of your Danley speakers  :)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 09:41:32 AM by Peter Morris »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 12:29:37 PM »

BTW Ivan, I so want to put some FIR’s on some of your Danley speakers  :)
Then do it  :)
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 05:58:37 PM »

I have. For SH46HO and SH96HO.

To the OP, no. Linear phase filters have rather limited application to audio. General FIR filters have many useful properties that make them very useful for audio. Do not assume that FIR is only used to implement linear phase.

Best,

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 06:15:31 PM »

I have. For SH46HO and SH96HO.

To the OP, no. Linear phase filters have rather limited application to audio. General FIR filters have many useful properties that make them very useful for audio. Do not assume that FIR is only used to implement linear phase.

Best,

--Frank

And how much difference did it make?

Peter Hvedstrup

• Disco-Flex
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 01:46:35 AM »

I have arranged to borrow the Lake LM26 and try it out before purchase.

I will do a simple A/B test to decide if it's worth it for me.

I'm used to Armonia which I find very intuitive but the Lake software just baffles me. It pushes my i7, 16gb ram and SSD pc to a halt when doing simple stuff. I don't find it intuitive at all, but maybe it's just me.

Peter Morris

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 02:53:38 AM »

Just need some boxes.  Not a lot of them in Oz, I was even going to Fly to Singapore to check out the J94s ...

Peter Morris

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 03:09:25 AM »

I have arranged to borrow the Lake LM26 and try it out before purchase.

I will do a simple A/B test to decide if it's worth it for me.

I'm used to Armonia which I find very intuitive but the Lake software just baffles me. It pushes my i7, 16gb ram and SSD pc to a halt when doing simple stuff. I don't find it intuitive at all, but maybe it's just me.

As much as I want to love the Lake interface as it started life hear in Adelaide Australia … and I did know and respect the guy that wrote the software, I have to agree with you about the interface.

I suggest looking at some of the YouTube videos.  e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgK7k7iNjtc

It’s also worth remembering that the software was written to be driven on tablet out in the field.

I would be very interested in how the FIR processing goes on the Tannoys.

http://labgruppen.com/about/about-lake

Peter Hvedstrup

• Disco-Flex
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 04:46:02 AM »

As much as I want to love the Lake interface as it started life hear in Adelaide Australia … and I did know and respect the guy that wrote the software, I have to agree with you about the interface.

I suggest looking at some of the YouTube videos.  e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgK7k7iNjtc

It’s also worth remembering that the software was written to be driven on tablet out in the field.

I would be very interested in how the FIR processing goes on the Tannoys.

http://labgruppen.com/about/about-lake

Thanks!

Have been playing with virtual frames and think i understand the concept. I have loaded the correct preset from Load Librery and all looks good but i don't really understans why output channel gains are limited/locked to certain intervals that makes it impossible to reach the same gain structure as i have now.   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 04:46:02 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.