ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting truss base  (Read 5704 times)

John Fruits

Interesting truss base
« on: June 27, 2017, 03:02:00 PM »

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: Interesting truss base
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 06:59:40 PM »

I had assumed you were using "interesting" in an ironic way, and were posting pictures of things bolted to something like tractor or truck wheels.  The items you posted look cool, but I'm not part of that big-boy league.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 07:39:34 PM »

I can't say I've ever used something like that but thinking from logistics alone I can't see it scaling down too well.  At 1250 pounds it's hardly portable, at least without a forklift and a properly-sized truck.  I'm sure on big shows that's not much of a concern since the equipment would already be available, but I'd hate to need a forklift just to put up a simple 12" box totem or goal post!  I'd also be curious if they're more trouble than they're worth when trying to align the corners of a grid.  There must be a market for them though!

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 11:51:43 PM »

Makes sense for a big city rental house to have some. Not something to carry on tour, but I could sure see where they are going to be showing up on riders for name brand acts.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 07:57:54 AM »

Interesting....  could see the use on an arena tour... but at that weight, your truck is at capacity with 48 of them (or maybe less)...  more I could seee a venue that commonly needs ballast, like a very large convention center, arena, or stadium, having some on hand because they also have the forklifts to move them, and never have to put them on a truck....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick Earl

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 09:23:56 AM »

These look pretty well thought out.
http://www.in-houseproduction.com/equipment/imagineering/truss-base/
This is from Controlbooth.com post by KeepOnTruckin.
https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/concrete-truss-baseplate-for-20-5-truss.42286/
Mountain Productions uses a similar base for their roof towers, although theirs are close to 7000 lbs.  They also have a plate on top that allows for fine adjustment of placement.   
1500 lbs or 7000 lbs, I still want an engineer to look at the application and make sure it is set-up safely and that there is a weather action plan in place for outdoor events.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 01:13:18 PM »

Too heavy individually and too light when stacked and not enough footprint for most applications if you ask me. Plus, when you stack them you are shifting the center of gravity up.

For a roof system you need way more ballast than a stack of them will provide and for things like video walls you need a larger footprint plus more weight. I don't really see much uses for them except for the company to say "look, we made these". I'll stick with my bases and sandbags and ground stakes.

Craig

Sent from my iPad
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Spenser Hamilton

Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 03:47:33 PM »

http://tentwares.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/movercart-1030x1026.jpg

I'm used to seeing these personally.

For large stages I am used to seeing water ballast tanks with roof drains plumbed into them to keep them full in the event of rain.  Much lighter weight to transport as long as you have access to water onsite and the capacity to fill them in time.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 04:28:08 PM »

For large stages I am used to seeing water ballast tanks with roof drains plumbed into them to keep them full in the event of rain.  Much lighter weight to transport as long as you have access to water onsite and the capacity to fill them in time.

Lee

I've seen the large water tanks as well, nobody wants to deal with them at 3AM on loadout night thoug  ;D
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 04:28:08 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.