ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dead Scribble Strip X32  (Read 11042 times)

Philip Norman

• Lab Lounge
Dead Scribble Strip X32
« on: June 27, 2017, 03:01:03 AM »

Hello all,

I have an X32 +-3 years old with a blank/dead scribble strip on the "15th" channel. The back light is on but there are NO numbers/letters being displayed no matter what fader bank you select no matter if you recycle power or do factory resets or load other shows or try every conceivable variation to that channel. That scribble strip DOES change colors when you attempt to do so but DOES NOT display ANY letters/numbers.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Is it an easy fix? I am based in Cape Town South Africa and Behringer support/spare parts here is limited.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
Re: Dead Scribble Strip X32
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 03:13:49 PM »

Hello all,

I have an X32 +-3 years old with a blank/dead scribble strip on the "15th" channel. The back light is on but there are NO numbers/letters being displayed no matter what fader bank you select no matter if you recycle power or do factory resets or load other shows or try every conceivable variation to that channel. That scribble strip DOES change colors when you attempt to do so but DOES NOT display ANY letters/numbers.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Is it an easy fix? I am based in Cape Town South Africa and Behringer support/spare parts here is limited.

There are a couple of ways to turn off the scribble strip. Hit the home button, then under the config tab you will see the source, if the source is set to off that will turn off the scribble strip. Also under the setup button, then under the scribble strip tab, if you have the color set to black it will look like the scribble strip is off. I don’t know if a routing error will also turn off a scribble strip.

But since you said that no matter what bank you are on it is still dead then maybe it has died. I saw a YouTube video once about how to take it apart and get to the scribble strip. To problem they were having had to do with not having all of the colors working and it turned out to be a solder joint issue. It is not for the faint of heart. In other words it is only for someone very skilled in dissecting this type of equipment.

If you post a scene here we can take a look and see if it is a setup problem.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 06:38:01 PM »

Since you've done a factory reset, it's most likely a hardware problem.  As Kevin said, take apart isn't super easy, but it's not impossible either.

This video shows take apart quite well.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en84LnnGmjE

As you can see, each LCD connects to the main board with its own little connector.  It's possible that it's just a loose connection that could be reseated. If that doesn't work, the problem is either an LCD, or the board itself.  You should be able to swap the LCDs around to see if the problem moves with it to confirm that.

Not sure if Music group sells those parts individually or not.
Brian Jojade

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 02:02:46 AM »

Hello all,

. . .

Definitely

Possibly

Try these spots:

http://www.prosound.co.za/contact-us/
Seems to be the place nearest you.

https://www.stageaudioworks.com
In Jo burg. . .

I don't know anything about the parts variations between US and International models. Both of those places are MG service centers and would be your best resource. You have to get the parts direct from a service center, anyway.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Patrick Karv

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 08:21:15 AM »

Hello all,

Hi Phillip,

Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm Patrick from the MUSIC Group (Behringer). If you purchased in SA then it may be worth contacting the shop/dealer from which you purchased who may be able to help directing you to the regional partner or a service center. Otherwise here is the link to our Partner List, the SA partner may be able to help with your query:

http://www.music-group.com/partners

Best Regards,
Patrick Karv
CARE
MUSIC Group

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 09:56:22 AM »

I will repeat this. If you post a scene here we can take a look and see if it is a setup problem. Here are the instructions how to do that.
http://behringerwiki.music-group.com/index.php?title=Uploading_files_to_the_forum

He must be busy, according to his profile he hasn't been back here since he posted this.

Philip Norman

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 12:06:48 PM »

Apologies for the delay. Yes I have been busy. It is most definitely a hardware issue - I am very familiar with the X32 system. I was just checking if anyone else has had this same issue as it would help the local agents repair the desk - they know as much/little about the problem as I do.

I am hoping that it is just a loose connection and not a problem in the board. I will report back once it has been opened and checked.

To the man from Music Group - are scribble strips sold as parts (anywhere in the world) or not?

Tom Marshall

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 09:24:15 PM »

Apologies for the delay. Yes I have been busy. It is most definitely a hardware issue - I am very familiar with the X32 system. I was just checking if anyone else has had this same issue as it would help the local agents repair the desk - they know as much/little about the problem as I do.

I am hoping that it is just a loose connection and not a problem in the board. I will report back once it has been opened and checked.

To the man from Music Group - are scribble strips sold as parts (anywhere in the world) or not?

Hello, what did the fault turn out to be please?

This has just happened to mine today whilst in use, I noticed on the 'center section' fader 3 was incorrectly displaying 'Bus3' when it should have been "3" for a DCA. No matter what I did, load scene, change layer etc etc it was stuck displaying 'Bus3' I actually took a photo of it. Thought a soft reboot would fix it but no, it still said 'Bus3'. Hard power cycle = blank strip :(

It's now permanently blank.

I'm not optimistic that it's a loose connection as it was just sitting there when it happened, no vibrations or knocks etc.

cheers,
Tom

Tom Marshall

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 05:25:20 PM »

Follow up for anyone else who has this problem....

I have repaired it. Even though there was no sign of dirt/misalignment/bad connection it seems that it must have been the LCD ribbon. The PCB is difficult to trace but it appears that all 9 LCDs in the master section are driven by one driver so if one screen fails it can only be the screen, ribbon cable or connector.

My plan was to swap the failed LCD from master position 3 with the "L&R" LCD which is functionally much less important. However on doing so, both screens worked again so that's a massive bonus.

Disassembly was straightforward (just lots of screws), there's a sneaky screw in the base near the centre foot that must be removed. Plastic side cheeks come off, then all screws around the edge of the top panel down the sides, rear and under the palm-rest. No need to remove cables other than for the board you need to remove, the to panel will pivot up at the back and there's plenty of space to work without removing connectors. If you've worked on similar electronics previously you will have no problems at all and no tools are required beyond PH1 and PH2 screwdriver (I'd recommend a plastic prizing tool for the ribbon connectors though).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 05:25:20 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 19 queries.