ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha LS9 Patch question  (Read 2949 times)

Brian Strike

Yamaha LS9 Patch question
« on: June 25, 2017, 11:23:24 PM »

Hi all,

This sounds so ridiculously simple I'm embarassed to even ask.

Been mixing on a LS9 - 32 for many years.  The mix is for a live sound reinforcement use - rock band and concert band set ups in one performance, using about 25 inputs total and 6 monitor mixes, plus FX mixes in the aux buses. 

For the first time ever, I'm trying to duplicate the LRM (Big red slider) back into one of the aux sends so that I could send the live "total sound product into the XLR input of a digital video camera.  We record all of our gigs.  The camera has a nice Rode shotgun on it, but if I send an additional channel into the camera (camera accepts 2 channels of input.  Rode shotgun in channel 1, live feed from board in channel 2) then I can mix down an get a good blend when I process the video. 

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get the combined LR stereo (which is patched to output into sends 15 and 16 on the back of the board) to duplicate into one of the other mixes, say for instance, mix 12. 
Anyone have any tips on how to do this??  Looking for LS9 specific tips.  I figure there's some patch business somewhere that I'm missing and can't locate in the manual or on some help forums. 

Thanks!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Yamaha LS9 Patch question
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 11:32:01 PM »

What you want to use is a matrix.

The matrix busses are able to accept sends from the mains and/or auxes and derive a seperate output from that.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Ron Bolte

• Mmmmm.. ok...
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 11:38:40 PM »

Hi all,

This sounds so ridiculously simple I'm embarassed to even ask.

Been mixing on a LS9 - 32 for many years.  The mix is for a live sound reinforcement use - rock band and concert band set ups in one performance, using about 25 inputs total and 6 monitor mixes, plus FX mixes in the aux buses. 

For the first time ever, I'm trying to duplicate the LRM (Big red slider) back into one of the aux sends so that I could send the live "total sound product into the XLR input of a digital video camera.  We record all of our gigs.  The camera has a nice Rode shotgun on it, but if I send an additional channel into the camera (camera accepts 2 channels of input.  Rode shotgun in channel 1, live feed from board in channel 2) then I can mix down an get a good blend when I process the video. 

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get the combined LR stereo (which is patched to output into sends 15 and 16 on the back of the board) to duplicate into one of the other mixes, say for instance, mix 12. 
Anyone have any tips on how to do this??  Looking for LS9 specific tips.  I figure there's some patch business somewhere that I'm missing and can't locate in the manual or on some help forums. 

Thanks!

Usually, when needing a mono recording send, I use the Mono buss, patch it to one of your omnis, you'd have to turn on the "mono" buss send on each input you want include in the recording.  An easier way though if you want the whole R/L mix, would be to use a matrix.  Send the R&L to the matrix of choice, and patch the matrix to an omni.
(Tim beat me)

Brian Strike

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 11:42:57 PM »

Usually, when needing a mono recording send, I use the Mono buss, patch it to one of your omnis, you'd have to turn on the "mono" buss send on each input you want include in the recording.  An easier way though if you want the whole R/L mix, would be to use a matrix.  Send the R&L to the matrix of choice, and patch the matrix to an omni.
(Tim beat me)

Ahhhhhh
The Godforsaken Matrix.
Should have guessed.  Yeah, I don't use those currently, but certainly understand their purpose.  Thanks for the tips guys - will look into sending the L/R to a matrix and then patching the matrix to an omni out. 

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 11:14:12 AM »

(Tim beat me)

Usually when needing a mono recording send I use a mono aux send. With an aux I can rebalance the mix for the recording, adding back in things like guitars that are too loud from the amps to add much of to the PA, or reduce effects returns that sound great in the room but are too loud in the recording.

Mac

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 12:54:55 PM »

Put a transformer between the LS9 and the camera. Phantom, even by accident, is not pleasant when applied to the LS9 outputs. Mine survived it but the noise..
Not all desks survive though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 12:54:55 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.