ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Best current WAP/Router for any consoles and Lab Gruppen amps these days  (Read 26749 times)

Jeff Stielau

• Shoreline Electronics & Sound

Didn't see a current / quick answer for this anywhere.

Curious what others are using for the latest/greatest ( not breaking the bank ! ) Router OR wireless access point ( WAP ) for basic iPad control of their consoles  ( Soundcraft Vi1 & family ) in my case. 

May even need one for wireless access to the Lake Processors in our Lab Gruppen amps.

Seems the market is flooded with options these days.

Any advise appreciated !
==========================
Jeff Stielau
Shoreline Electronics & Sound
344 East Main Street
Clinton,CT 06413
860-399-1861
http://shoreelxandsound.com/
www.facebook.com/SESAUDIO
[email protected]
========================

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services

Didn't see a current / quick answer for this anywhere.

Curious what others are using for the latest/greatest ( not breaking the bank ! ) Router OR wireless access point ( WAP ) for basic iPad control of their consoles  ( Soundcraft Vi1 & family ) in my case. 

May even need one for wireless access to the Lake Processors in our Lab Gruppen amps.

Seems the market is flooded with options these days.

Any advise appreciated !

How big is the bank?

Lots of solutions at about $100.

I am building a few hundred dollar system for my festival work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two

I use 3:

WRT54GC - compact and portable, sits in the bottom of my bag and with me always. Good for short distances and very convenient. Saved my bacon many times.
WRT54GS - flashed with DD-WRT which among other things, allows me to up the power output to 250mW, so it has great range, but only 2.4G
Ubiquiti NanoStation M5 - 5Ghz long-range AP for more critical and long-distance usage.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

I use 3:

WRT54GC - compact and portable, sits in the bottom of my bag and with me always. Good for short distances and very convenient. Saved my bacon many times.
WRT54GS - flashed with DD-WRT which among other things, allows me to up the power output to 250mW, so it has great range, but only 2.4G
Ubiquiti NanoStation M5 - 5Ghz long-range AP for more critical and long-distance usage.

Increasing broadcast power only changes half the path.  The return path is often the weakest link in the chain.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two

Increasing broadcast power only changes half the path.  The return path is often the weakest link in the chain.
Of course. Still get great range though. Certainly better when I upped it's power...
-Andy

Jeff Stielau

• Shoreline Electronics & Sound

I use 3:

I have one of these older G series Linksys routers....a bit clunky and big.

The Ubiquiti M5 looks small and more current technology.

Is the M5 easy to set up ?    Plug it and search it's specified network , enter password and go ?     Or do you have to configure it first with the Airmax OS software they show on their website?

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanostationm/

Thanks in advance for your help !

==========================
Jeff Stielau
Shoreline Electronics & Sound
344 East Main Street
Clinton,CT 06413
860-399-1861
http://shoreelxandsound.com/
www.facebook.com/SESAUDIO
[email protected]
========================

Keith Broughton

• Toronto

I have one of these older G series Linksys routers....a bit clunky and big.

The Ubiquiti M5 looks small and more current technology.

Is the M5 easy to set up ?    Plug it and search it's specified network , enter password and go ?     Or do you have to configure it first with the Airmax OS software they show on their website?

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/nanostationm/

Thanks in advance for your help !
I had no end of trouble setting up a Ubiquity M5 Bullet.
Gave up and tossed it.
Bought a used Netgear WNDR3400.
Perfect!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two

It's easy enough, but for some baffling reason it's not just plug-and-play. Every other router I've used typically you plug in, browse to it's IP, change a password and it just works. The M5 (and other Ubiquiti) are not that way. You power on, browse to it's IP and have to make some changes before it will work. It has no "wizard" like consumer grade stuff does.
Luckily there are people that have posted the required changes on the net that are needed to make them work.
I've no idea why they don't make the default settings the correct ones to make it "just work".
-Andy

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions

For off the shelf wireless routers I have had excellent results with both a TP Link Archer C7 (about a $100) and a Netgear R7000 (about $150).
I operate both only on 5g.

There are times I feel I get touch more range with the TP link.
I use them with a Allen Heath QU Pac 32.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 08:14:07 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions

I love my Linksys WRT1700AC with DD-WRT flashed on it. Working beautifully on QU24 with all band members on QU-You apps, Client-Bridge network to the local wifi for internet, network cables to amps, dsp, speakers, etc.

Plenty of horsepower. Amazon for ~100 warehouse deal.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.