ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: More subs or more power  (Read 8662 times)

Steve Crump

Re: More subs or more power
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 04:21:23 PM »

Each tier (the "next level") involves improvements to every aspect of your operation:  If you get more/better subs to do larger audiences or different genres, you'll be upgrading your amp racks (or AC distribution if you use powered speakers) and the "higher level" of acts you work with may necessitate upgrades to your mixers, monitors and packaging/transportation.

I wrote a blog post over at Soundforums dot net back in 2013 that is still mostly accurate:

https://soundforums.net/blogs/tim-mcculloch/160970-the-next-level-the-unicorn-of-the-production-business

I think I am right where I need to be. I don't have the willingness to make the financial investment into gear to go to the next level. Not now.

The real story is that historically one of these community shows have at times attracted up to 500-600 people. Over the past few years marketing has dropped off and the attendance has too. We have a new group working these shows and hope to get the numbers back up and since I have jumped in the mix I don't won't to fall short on my system if the numbers reach that again. So, I am just planning ahead and trying to decide what my first move will be, if we are that fortunate. Heck if it goes to a 1000 we would have to move and re-think everything anyway.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 04:51:11 PM »

I think I am right where I need to be. I don't have the willingness to make the financial investment into gear to go to the next level. Not now.

The real story is that historically one of these community shows have at times attracted up to 500-600 people. Over the past few years marketing has dropped off and the attendance has too. We have a new group working these shows and hope to get the numbers back up and since I have jumped in the mix I don't won't to fall short on my system if the numbers reach that again. So, I am just planning ahead and trying to decide what my first move will be, if we are that fortunate. Heck if it goes to a 1000 we would have to move and re-think everything anyway.

I agree with your assessment of your position, and if the event grows your fee needs to grow as well if you're having to upgrade or expand.

There's a lot to be said for staying a relatively small operation, especially if production isn't your primary source of income.

The real question is "does my rig sound tonally balanced for the program material being played?"  If the answer is yes, then you can get as loud as the first pass band to go into hard limit or approach mechanical failure.  If you need more SPL you'll need additional or different loudspeakers; ditto if your coverage angles change.

The question your event organizers need to answer for themselves (and you) is if they want a "concert experience" over the entire area or would rather have some space where the SPL isn't as high, concentrating the "experience" closer to the stage.  In the latter is the case you may need to do nothing at all...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Crump

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 06:58:09 PM »

I agree with your assessment of your position, and if the event grows your fee needs to grow as well if you're having to upgrade or expand.

There's a lot to be said for staying a relatively small operation, especially if production isn't your primary source of income.

The real question is "does my rig sound tonally balanced for the program material being played?"  If the answer is yes, then you can get as loud as the first pass band to go into hard limit or approach mechanical failure.  If you need more SPL you'll need additional or different loudspeakers; ditto if your coverage angles change.

The question your event organizers need to answer for themselves (and you) is if they want a "concert experience" over the entire area or would rather have some space where the SPL isn't as high, concentrating the "experience" closer to the stage.  In the latter is the case you may need to do nothing at all...

I actually spend my days cost estimating electrical construction and my nights not wanting to grow up and at 50, I really think it is too late to want to put the effort into changing either.

I won't even go into the comments I have heard from the event director.

I can easily answer the last question. They want a concert experience covering the area, but at my price.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 03:17:55 PM »

I won't even go into the comments I have heard from the event director.

Please tell us the comments, I need something to laugh about today!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 04:07:28 PM »

Steve, buy 4 Danley TH115 or TH118 cabs and use the same amps.
More output, better sound and still packs in a truck.
Done!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Jeff Permanian

• JTR Speakers Inc.
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 05:04:25 PM »

I had been using (4) Yorkville UCS1s for about 5 years

I recently purchased (4) of the JTR Captivator 212 pros and a Crown Macrotech 5000i to run them. I just had my first opportunity to use them at one of our outdoor community events with a Country/Southern Rock band and was pleasantly happy with the performance of the JTRs.
Honestly I didn't miss my Yorkvilles. But, of course we really didn't have (100-150) many people come to this one and I really didn't have to push the JTRs at all. The area was 80' x 140' and for some reason a lot of people decided to set around the perimeter instead of close to the stage. I was mixing from about 70-80' out.

I don't do Hip-Hop, EDM, Metal etc., it's mostly Folk, Indie Country, and Blues/Acoustic Blues, a little Motown. I only agree to help bands doing styles I want to listen to for an afternoon.

Steve,

Sounds like you haven't even tested out the boundaries of your Captivator 212s. The four should be able to handle 1000 people shows without a problem.

Steve Crump

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 08:23:13 PM »

Please tell us the comments, I need something to laugh about today!

"we are paying the sound and staging company more than the band!" 

Steve Crump

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2017, 08:29:45 PM »

Steve, buy 4 Danley TH115 or TH118 cabs and use the same amps.
More output, better sound and still packs in a truck.
Done!

Brand loyalty aside, I was just was wanting to really understand the basics, more power versus more speakers, which I feel Art, Tim and Ivan explained very well.

I do completely respect what Danley does, but I just started with Jeff, so I will probably expand as needed with Jeff.

Steve Crump

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 09:11:35 PM »

Steve,

Sounds like you haven't even tested out the boundaries of your Captivator 212s. The four should be able to handle 1000 people shows without a problem.

Jeff,

You are correct. I have not had the opportunity. Hopefully I will have the opportunity soon. I really do like the sub, compact and light.
Jerry, who works the shows with me and the band playing that night were really impressed with the output and sound quality of the whole JTR system.
Actually the band playing that night had just done a similar show in the neighboring town with a regional Motown band who brings their on sound (because they are particular about the quality of sound at their shows).  The band that played our show went on and on how much better our system sounded versus the system the night before. They asked about us doing sound for their larger events, so I felt like JTR, Allen & Heath, EV, Crown, Jerry and I made a good impression.
I am have a R&B act coming up for the same show which should give me a better opportunity to test the subs.

But, I really didn't post this to compare equipment. I was just looking for general input, more power versus more speakers.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 09:37:49 PM »

But, I really didn't post this to compare equipment. I was just looking for general input, more power versus more speakers.

In that case the best answer is "YES! More of both!"   ;D

I've not heard Jeff's more recent subwoofer offerings but have no reason to think they'd not perform as he represents them to be.  Plus you can get him on the phone when you have questions, whether that's before or after your purchase.

What I hear him saying is "try your subs with a bigger amp."  How big, Jeff?  Any particular protective limiting or HPF you'd recommend?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 09:37:49 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.