ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Samsung and the Future of Harman???  (Read 8540 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Samsung and the Future of Harman???
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 02:17:15 PM »

Harman is (was?) huge in automotive sound and increasingly more as cars become more computerized. The brand still has some juice in consumer audio, which these days means home theater. Pro sound is unlikely to be of interest to Samsung unless they use it for marketing consumer gear (like JBL has for decades).

caverat lector.... pure speculation on my part... 8)

JR

I foresee more "Powered by Crown" and "JBL Inside" types of marketing.  The brands still have some consumer cachet and Samsung could leverage their expanded use of the technologies to expand the brand recognition.  I don't pretend that the top of end of JBL's portable catalog is hugely profitable but Id bet the install side makes a decent return for Harman.

What Harman is figuring out is how to cross-pollinate technologies and products across brand lines.  Sometimes it works well and sometimes it doesn't (Soundcraft remote apps, anyone?) but it's coming together.

Time will tell.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Stelios Mac

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 03:28:30 PM »

They'd have to be absolutely crazy to do so, imo.
JBL, Crown & Soundcraft are amongst the most popular Pro-Audio brands - Especially JBL.
I mean, everyone (pro or not) will instantly recognize the look of Vertec, even if they don't know it's JBL or even a speaker!

It would be like saying "Right, we bought VW Group for x y z reasons, but we don't care about Lamborghini or Bugatti so we're shutting them down."

Every single cabinet JBL makes includes their own drivers, their own amps, their own DSP, even their own paint finish... They get maximum profit on every single sale they make, and I assume it's been like this for a decade or two.
If L'Acoustics or Nexo are profitable, I can only imagine what JBL is.

John J.R. Bogle

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 09:13:20 PM »

Every single cabinet JBL makes includes their own drivers, their own amps, their own DSP, even their own paint finish...

Just an interesting side note: I believe the Mpro line used Crown power amps.

Also (not to derail the thread) does anyone remember the old JBL/UREI power amps? Sounded great but not very road worthy (owned a couple - both died an early death :( ).

Back to the OP. I don't think Samsung is that awful of a company (they seem to be quality minded (never mind the burning cell phones :)). I would doubt they'll tinker too much with Harmon as it seems to be an overall profitable group of products as it is. My gut feeling is that I'd have no problem buying a new JBL or DBX product. I understand your point though as when I tried to get crossover info & parts for some old EAW boxes, dealing with LOUD technology was a serious pain. OTOH I'd bet Samsung will leave Harmon as it's own division and just make use of some of it's R&D occasionally.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 12:29:38 PM »

Samsung not a bad company? Samsung is known as the most respected brand in flat screen TV's, even to the point where many other brands use or license their technology. Their build quality is beyond reproach, and their support is well above the norm. Their home appliances are built like a brick shithouse, and just about everything made by the company says quality. One of the few Asian companies I don't mind buying from.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2017, 02:34:28 PM »

Samsung not a bad company? Samsung is known as the most respected brand in flat screen TV's, even to the point where many other brands use or license their technology. Their build quality is beyond reproach, and their support is well above the norm. Their home appliances are built like a brick shithouse, and just about everything made by the company says quality. One of the few Asian companies I don't mind buying from.
Here hold my galaxy note 7 phone for a minute... :o

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 03:40:20 PM »

JR

Sure thing, pal. ;)

While it was a very public failure I think Samsung handled it about as well as could be done:  they found the problem, thought they'd fixed it and finally recalled and refunded/replaced every purchase.  This level of engagement probably kept the problem from becoming an even bigger publicity issue for them.

A small handful of problem SKUs in a company with so many divisions, products and markets is not the end of world for Samsung and I'd assert that for most consumers the Note 7 fiasco is already a faded memory.

And right now I'd rather have stock in Samsung than in Toshiba...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 04:45:41 PM »

Sure thing, pal. ;)

While it was a very public failure I think Samsung handled it about as well as could be done:  they found the problem, thought they'd fixed it and finally recalled and refunded/replaced every purchase.  This level of engagement probably kept the problem from becoming an even bigger publicity issue for them.
Yes, the "thought they fixed" was the interesting part to me (because I'm a technology nerd). The phone had two different battery vendors and their initial ASSumption was that the fault condition was only occurring with one vendor's batteries... BZZT wrongo.

Turns out the fault vector was two fold... the mechanical packaging was too tight around the battery, and size tolerance of batteries was sloppy enough that the lack of clearance caused some batteries to overheat and fail. Once they melt the fireworks really start  :o . Besides cutting back to just one battery vendor, IIRC they also tried using a slower charging rate to keep battery temperature down, but no luck.  :-[

The decisions to axe the entire model was surely a difficult decision involving millions of dollars loss, and an unexpected sales/market share bump for their competitors.

Yes they eventually got it right, and I completely understand the foot dragging and "hail mary" attempts to rescue the valuable program. 
A small handful of problem SKUs in a company with so many divisions, products and markets is not the end of world for Samsung and I'd assert that for most consumers the Note 7 fiasco is already a faded memory.

And right now I'd rather have stock in Samsung than in Toshiba...
I'd rather not own stock in either...

Toshiba, where to begin?  I recall when Toshiba was caught selling secret submarine concealment technology to Russia back in the 80s (quiet prop design). More recently they are in the news because their Westinghouse subsidiary (they bought to get an inroad into the US nuclear power plant business) has recently declared bankruptcy due to reverses in that industry.  ::)

Probably not a good time for nuclear power plants or clean coal. My local clean coal power plant has been running on natural gas since 2015 because A) it's cheaper and B) it actually works reliably...  The >$7B they spent building the (not yet) SOTA clean coal power plant looks like a massive white elephant. The new technology was not close to operational when project started (maybe not even now after years of delays), and clean coal is not cheaper than gas, so why spend the extra $B?. After multiple announcements every several months that they would be bringing the clean coal plant on line any day now, the local utility rate commissions finally said "no mas" they can't charge us rate payers for the extra $B that they wasted, or run the more expensive clean coal. I suspect we ratepayers will still pay one way or the other.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 07:54:50 PM »

JR

I have a few that I'll be using while on vacation. I'll be away from my much loved Weber Genesis and using charcoal. They make great starters and no lighter fluid needed.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 07:58:30 PM »

I have a few that I'll be using while on vacation. I'll be away from my much loved Weber Genesis and using charcoal. They make great starters and no lighter fluid needed.

They leave a nasty aftertaste.  Ask Samsung...

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 10:01:59 PM »

Not if you coat them with hickory flavored BBQ sauce. Best part is that you can put them under the charcoal and remote start the grill from the house by dialing the phone number.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 10:01:59 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.