ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ULX diversity scheme  (Read 2524 times)

DavidTurner

ULX diversity scheme
« on: June 22, 2017, 12:18:51 PM »

I remember reading in a thread here somewhere that the Shure ULX units have an unconventional diversity scheme...something about only one receiver switching between antennae and possibly having dropouts as a result.

Is there anyone here who can shed some light on this?

Based on my recent reading here and in Live Sound International, I have come to the conclusion that I must replace 11 of my 17 wireless units immediately and am considering all options.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: ULX diversity scheme
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 12:48:04 PM »

I'm not sure about ULX you might be thinking of ULX-D.  The description you're thinking of was possibly this post by Dave Stevens that described it very well:

The D series method is such that when the device senses the performance of an antenna dropping, it switches to the the other antenna. It's a single receiver device that uses predictive switching baked into the chip.  The caveat is that the other antenna isn't monitored or polled prior to the switch.  That can lead to being switched to an antenna that has worse performance.  That is a contrast to the dual receiver diversity where the signals are actively polled where in theory the active circuit is the strongest.

If your app is a traditional side of stage or backstage set up, even with an antenna remote, it will likely work well for you.  For our primary show, it wasn't the right solution.  My understanding is that while our situation is not unheard of, others have experienced it, it's not common either.

DavidTurner

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 01:25:50 PM »

I'm not sure about ULX you might be thinking of ULX-D.  The description you're thinking of was possibly this post by Dave Stevens that described it very well:
That's it. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 02:41:31 PM »

I remember reading in a thread here somewhere that the Shure ULX units have an unconventional diversity scheme...something about only one receiver switching between antennae and possibly having dropouts as a result.

Is there anyone here who can shed some light on this?

What Dave was describing was the way most diversity antennas work. Each receiver switches individually to the stronger antenna. I'm not positive about exactly how the ULX-D switches between antennas, but if it switches blindly to the second antenna because the current antenna is losing signal, what is the harm in that? Chances are the other antenna has a better signal, if not, no switching scheme could do better.

Unless you need to package systems with fewer than blocks of 4, the ULX-DQ is a great solution.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 02:41:31 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.