ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1000' wireless connection?  (Read 5883 times)

jon.duffin

Re: 1000' wireless connection?
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2017, 06:12:11 PM »

I did something like this just recently.  I needed to get audio to a point 800 feet away from the source.  I used an AKG IVM4500 transmitter and an AKG SR4500 receiver.  At the transmit side, I had a 6-element home-brew Yagi antenna up about 10'.  At the receive side, I had two AKG passive paddle antennas up at 10'.

With the transmitter set to 50mW output, I had just a hair under full signal on the meter at the receiver.  The audio quality was excellent and there weren't any dropouts.

I believe this set up would work reliably over 2000+ feet as the transmitter can be bumped up to 100mW of output power.

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2017, 06:19:02 PM »

I did something like this just recently.  I needed to get audio to a point 800 feet away from the source.  I used an AKG IVM4500 transmitter and an AKG SR4500 receiver.  At the transmit side, I had a 6-element home-brew Yagi antenna up about 10'.  At the receive side, I had two AKG passive paddle antennas up at 10'.

With the transmitter set to 50mW output, I had just a hair under full signal on the meter at the receiver.  The audio quality was excellent and there weren't any dropouts.

I believe this set up would work reliably over 2000+ feet as the transmitter can be bumped up to 100mW of output power.

Nice! That was one possibility for sure. I think the wired route is going to work perfectly though.
Ryan Davis

Ryan C. Davis

• SL,UT
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2017, 06:24:59 PM »

Balanced cabling will go for miles. You are going 1/4 mile each direction. No biggy at all. You'll have a slight loss of high freq, but nothing a little eq won't fix. There's no way I'd wrestle with wireless or computer issues for such a simple gig.

In fact, if you bought some xlr breakout boxes you could do this with 1 run of CAT5. It would give you 2 channels each way.

http://www.ratsoundsales.com/p/soundtools-catsnake.html

Tim Just for FYI. I talked to RAT (really cool guys BTW). They had a guy support a foot race (5 or 10k) where they wanted a speaker every 800 ft or so so they could make announcements along the route. He was doing 6k ft runs with a single transmitter and dropping a receiver every 800-1000 ft for the speaker connection. pretty cool. He did say though that @ line level you'll have much better results with the long distances than with mic level.
Ryan Davis

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2017, 04:29:43 PM »

Several years ago I ran a mic cable a few hundred feet to an SM57 mic. It worked just fine. The cable was a combination of a 100 footer, a couple at 50 feet, few more at about 30 and bunch more 20 footers.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2017, 06:11:17 PM »

Several years ago I ran a mic cable a few hundred feet to an SM57 mic. It worked just fine. The cable was a combination of a 100 footer, a couple at 50 feet, few more at about 30 and bunch more 20 footers.
I used to keep a 1,000 ft. spool of Belden, with an XLR on each end.
Came in handy more than once. Even if I "only" needed 500', it got rolled out.
Mic or line level, never a problem.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Mike Karseboom

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2017, 03:02:37 PM »

I have wondered about this kind of situation myself but from the standpoint of AC power.  If you plug the distant speaker into a distant local outlet won't there be a likely differential in ground planes and a corresponding 60 cycle hum when the xlr cable ground lead starts flowing current? 
--Mike
"If you're not confused, you don't know what is going on"

Live Sound for the Mt. Shasta area
http://www.shastalivesound.com

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2017, 03:16:46 PM »

I have wondered about this kind of situation myself but from the standpoint of AC power.  If you plug the distant speaker into a distant local outlet won't there be a likely differential in ground planes and a corresponding 60 cycle hum when the xlr cable ground lead starts flowing current?

This is what transformer isolation boxes are for. Lift pin 1 and you are pretty bulletproof for 60 cycle problems.
Telescoping shield is always a good idea for this type of thing (and most line level situations). Pin 1 connected at the send end and lifted at the receive end.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2017, 03:16:46 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.