ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Roger Waters uses SM58  (Read 16051 times)

Scott Helmke

Re: Roger Waters uses SM58
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2017, 10:15:16 AM »

FWIW, I always find SM58s (and 57s) sound fine. Rarely better than "fine", but rarely worse, too.

The money quote from the recording world (I believe from Fletcher himself) is that the SM57 is amazing in that it doesn't suck on absolutely *any* instrument or application.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2017, 10:03:23 PM »

I think maybe you should reread my post. I said nothing about bottom end- the midrange and highs have been my issue. I always start with a zeroed out eq, not sure why I would start with anything else.

I'm of the opinion that less is more. If I can use a mic that I have to do very little with by way of EQ and still sounds great with predictable results then why am I going to choose the other one that's apparently a science project every time it gets plugged in? If it's so damned outstanding why doesn't it sound better without an eq? Oh, right, to prove how good we are at using EQ's!

I have no doubt that Bob H is as nice as they come, and I truly have the utmost respect for him. I just haven't been that enthused about what I've experienced so far and no one has seemed to offer any worthwhile suggestion on what I'm doing wrong or others are doing right.

And Bob L- why don't you share some of your super duper trade secret eq curves or some kind of suggestion other than "start with a flat eq curve". Surely you must have some trick up your sleeve if you're using the PR35 90% of the time and when you're "not feeling lazy" which seems to suggest it's work for even yourself to make them sound right.

I actually read your post three (3) times Ryan, and to be honest, with no mention of an external system EQ or DSP of any type I wonder if you actually understand "flat". If you want to work with different mics then try to EQ your system to a point where the system is flat first. Then and only then will a flat channel strip have any realistic meaning.

I read where you use an SL24 and I'll assume you're using a Carvin SL24. My experience with those boards leads me to think you're doing nothing really wrong, other than maybe using that board with a system that's not tuned properly. To my ear they sound very clouded regardless of the channel strip EQ settings, and very much like some of the old Mackie analog boards, much like there's a blanket covering your speakers. In that case there are no "magic" EQ settings I could give you that will help. "Zeroing" an EQ is not a term I've heard, so once again I'll have to assume, and in this case I'll assume that your "zeroing" is the equivalent of a flat or bypassed EQ. However, and as I've already said, there's no concept of "flat" until the system has been properly tuned and processed.

The Heil mics have a very neutral sound through most boards. They have their own quirks and nuances, and like any other mic they're not for everyone and everything. Too each his own, good luck in your quest.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Chiara

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2017, 08:40:55 AM »

Thanks Tim, I'm following you.

I only have one 35 and one 22. So I think part of the issue is when I have the lead on the 35 and 4 other vocalists on 58's the 35 just sounds so completely different with way more highs and nowhere near enough midrange and it's hard to make the voices blend.

I guess this is the fun thing (and frustrating thing) about audio though. Everyone hears these things differently and everyone has an opinion. You learn what you like and what you don't. Just like me saying I prefer In-N-Out over 5 guys or a Martin over a Taylor.

Try recording the different mics and compare them over studio monitors. Much better chance of a balanced reference that way..

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2017, 08:40:55 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.