ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Roger Waters uses SM58  (Read 16019 times)

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
Roger Waters uses SM58
« on: June 21, 2017, 09:51:20 AM »

A guy who can afford any mic he wants, using an SM58.
Concert program says sound is by Clair Global.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Roger Waters uses SM58
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 10:22:47 AM »

Yeah, it's a shame that such no-talents and wanna-be sound companies use inferior microphones (nudge, wink).  /sarcasm for the mic snobs

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Chiara

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 10:36:33 AM »

Yeah, it's a shame that such no-talents and wanna-be sound companies use inferior microphones (nudge, wink).  /sarcasm for the mic snobs

Hey, if it works for him that's fine. I can sing in a 58 and be fine. Some voices work better with something else. I prefer the 86 for myself and many other singers. Heil PR35 pretty much works for anyone and takes EQ very well.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 11:28:33 AM »

I think you'll find the humble 58 being used by many, if not most of the biggest acts in the world. There's a simple reason for it too. It works everytime. It can sound great on the deepest bass to the highest alto. Screamer to whisperer. The proximity effect is a known quality that these performers have used to their benefit their whole careers.

Most artists I know aren't interested in changing what they know. Strats, Teles, and Les Pauls are still used for the same reasons. Sure the Parker Fly is a whizz bang guitar with lots of "improvements" but who uses it?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 11:31:22 AM »

Is this supposed to be some great revelation?!!!

Steve.

John Chiara

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 11:47:30 AM »

I think you'll find the humble 58 being used by many, if not most of the biggest acts in the world. There's a simple reason for it too. It works everytime. It can sound great on the deepest bass to the highest alto. Screamer to whisperer. The proximity effect is a known quality that these performers have used to their benefit their whole careers.

Most artists I know aren't interested in changing what they know. Strats, Teles, and Les Pauls are still used for the same reasons. Sure the Parker Fly is a whizz bang guitar with lots of "improvements" but who uses it?

This is all true. My biggest complaint is with the cheaper Shure wireless offerings. I do many lower end shows and guys come in with their PGX
58's, and INSIST on using them. All the cheaper units seem to have serious gain stage issues that I never get with other less expensive wireless mics.

David Allred

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 12:10:24 PM »

This is either "Fake News" or insidious propaganda put out by Shure.

David Allred

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 12:16:26 PM »

For decades POTUS used SM57's while most middle eastern leaders used Sen 421's.    421's are renowned for accurately capturing that phlegm in the throat sound.  You would think the 58 would be a better choice.  After all, they are "Bullet-proof".

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 12:23:27 PM »

This is all true. My biggest complaint is with the cheaper Shure wireless offerings. I do many lower end shows and guys come in with their PGX
58's, and INSIST on using them. All the cheaper units seem to have serious gain stage issues that I never get with other less expensive wireless mics.

Cheap wireless is not something Shure does very well. Sennheiser has the cheap wireless game on lock down.

The ULX-D is really quite good though.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

John Chiara

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 12:40:36 PM »

Cheap wireless is not something Shure does very well. Sennheiser has the cheap wireless game on lock down.

The ULX-D is really quite good though.

I have 2 of those and they work well, although the new KSM 8 capsules  are not my favorite.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2017, 12:40:36 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.