ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: QU32 vs X32  (Read 19098 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: QU32 vs X32
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2017, 11:30:34 PM »

Ahhhhh....The ME-1's aren't wireless. That's the part I wasn't understanding. Ok that changes things a bit. I am the keyboard player. I'm the lead musician and the lead singer. Me having a wire running from my ears to an ME-1 would look weird. And  if I felt led to move away from my instrument, that wouldn't work.  I would prefer to be wireless.

So that brings me to another question. Can I be wireless AND have my own mixing ME-1?

I was figuring around $10k for all monitor stuff.

If it was me? I'd grab the ~$3k QU24/32 (depending on input needs), ~$2.5k 4x ME-1's for the backline. Leaving $4k for some wireless gear and $500 for accessories/misc/fluff. Buy 3 transmitters and 7 receivers (of whatever wireless IEM system you like with the 4k).

You now have 6 mono wireless mixes or 3 stereo.
You can tune packs to the same freq so multiple packs have the same mix.

Run 6 mono mixes.
Put two people on one mix, perhaps a male/female (bass, baritone, tenor and contralto, mezzo, soprano).

Run 2 mono mixes and 2 stereo.

Experiment with combinations.

If you want to spend less than 10k forgo the wireless and get the rolls (I'd rather get the presonus hp2 or something similar)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2017, 11:50:17 PM »

Thank you, Nathan. Actually, the mixer is separate from the $10k. We are definitely getting an X32 or a QU32.  The $10k is for monitor stuff alone.

Having said that, what would be your recommendation now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 12:33:18 AM »

The X32 CAN do this....as often as you want so...if I want a 'clean' vocal channel and a distorted one for say a hardcore show...or a straight guitar channel and a lead channel for a one guitar band. A compressed and uncompressed version of something...or just ba straight up separate monitor mix with its own EQ and dynamics. If I buy a digital console I sure as hell am NOT using a y-cable! I don't want the expense, weight or space of an analog split...I carry my club system rides in an Astrovan so every bit of space is crucial. For the same or less money the X32 provides more capability...IMO.
Plus...EVERYONE knows how to use them. I am the A1 at a local 750 cap club and almost all visiting BE's have their own scenes on USB.

Not to argue-you make some good points for your situation.  Club use-take it home with you and  set it up each time, etc.  The OP is looking at a church install-space/weight for an analog split isn't a big deal.  Just because it's a deal breaker for your situation doesn't mean it would be a problem in a different scenario.  Same with "everyone knows how to use them".  In a church situation, I have found the QU to be a good fit for the "odd" situation-say a funeral with just a mic or 2 on a weekday when maaybe only pastoral staff can make it.  I can teach someone to get by in a pinch very quickly.

The number of mixes on the QU can become a bottleneck fairly quickly-again depending on what you have going on-the option to use groups as mixes in the latest software upgrade was a huge help to us.
Steve Swaffer

Isaac South

• Central Kentucky
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 11:02:15 AM »

Thank you everyone for your replies.  You have given me good information about the X32 and QU32.  I'm still not sure which one to choose.  haha.  But I'll just have to set down and make that decision.

I got off topic a bit with the IEM's.  That's mostly my fault.  I'll start another topic for that sometime today.

Thank you again.

John Chiara

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2017, 11:42:46 AM »

Not to argue-you make some good points for your situation.  Club use-take it home with you and  set it up each time, etc.  The OP is looking at a church install-space/weight for an analog split isn't a big deal.  Just because it's a deal breaker for your situation doesn't mean it would be a problem in a different scenario.  Same with "everyone knows how to use them".  In a church situation, I have found the QU to be a good fit for the "odd" situation-say a funeral with just a mic or 2 on a weekday when maaybe only pastoral staff can make it.  I can teach someone to get by in a pinch very quickly.

The number of mixes on the QU can become a bottleneck fairly quickly-again depending on what you have going on-the option to use groups as mixes in the latest software upgrade was a huge help to us.

I am not looking at 'problems' I am accessing options. I want as many as possible because if I want to do something in the future...and I can't, because I chose a console without them...usually through ignorance or lack of more advanced skills...that seems to be a big part of why I moved to a digital console. First, the X32 channel/bus compressors all have amuxcontrol...which allows parallel..NYC type compression on every in and out. THATS a big deal from a real mixing perspective. Also, ANY mixer can do the simple things. That's not the point. If I have people that will hopefully be improving their skills, why would I want less options? I don't have to use them. All the modeled FX in the X32 are great for teaching about
the operation of classic processors, how exciter and enhancers function, how adding harmonics and saturation to things affects them in a mix, how different limiting schemes function, how different compressor models work...etc...basically giving options to actually
LEARN a lot of useful stuff. And if you don't have those options, you NEVER learn those things.
I mix music for a living, in studio and live, and have tried all the inexpensive offerings, and my professional opinion is that the X/M 32 platform lets me do a more thorough job...closer to what I could do in the studio, than the others. And, it is usually a cheaper option. I only wish the X32 had 8 more FX slots. Obviously YMMV.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 10:08:47 PM »

Depending on budget for the mixer, perhaps an A&H GLD might work better?
Same ability to use the personal mixes and digital stage snake but with a very flexible buss configuration and surface layout.

User profiles can be used to lock down certain configuration options while leaving operational functions available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2017, 10:08:47 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.