ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Water Electrocution at Put-in-Bay Ohio  (Read 4876 times)

Kevin Graf

Water Electrocution at Put-in-Bay Ohio
« on: June 18, 2017, 07:17:17 AM »

Water Electrocution at Put-in-Bay Ohio

The dog fell into the water and started to struggle, the report says. Currie's father jumped into the water and struggled too. He slipped under the water's surface. His two sons jumped into the water to help, but also struggled, the report says.

A 19-year-old man died Friday evening after he was shocked from an electrical current in the water at Put-in-Bay, officials say.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/06/19-year-old_boy_dies_from_elec.html
Speedskater

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
Re: Water Electrocution at Put-in-Bay Ohio
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 07:22:02 PM »

Unfortunately here is another one.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/06/18/nj-girl-11-electrocuted-while-swimming-with-friends/

Would a NCVT used on the dock/lift indicate the problem in a situation like this?
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 09:02:12 PM »

Unfortunately here is another one.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2017/06/18/nj-girl-11-electrocuted-while-swimming-with-friends/

Would a NCVT used on the dock/lift indicate the problem in a situation like this?

Yes, absolutely! I've mocked this up and it works perfectly to detect a hot handrail around a dock or pool. It will also find if the water itself was electrified, such as a baptismal pool. I've mocked that up and verified it as well.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 10:08:46 PM »

I never realized the irony of the way my theater tool belt is set up. The NCVT and its case are right next the the pouch with the nitrile gloves and CPR mask.  Maybe my unconscious recognized it before I put 2+2 together.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Mike Sokol

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 08:23:27 PM »

Since this is such an important topic, I wrote an article this morning on ESD (Electric Shock Drowning), had it vetted by David Rifkin (the leading authority on ESD) this afternoon, and submitted it this evening for publication in the RVtravel.com newsletter on Saturday morning to 50K+ readers. Hopefully it will save a few lives.

http://rvtravel.com/beware-of-electric-shock-drowning/

Lance Rectanus

• NW Ohio
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 03:58:07 PM »

re: the Port Clinton incident, various local outlets are reporting that all the shore power points and the boat checked out fine. Seems that somebody's wrong. Ohio DNR Watercraft Division say that they will be announcing the cause this afternoon (Wednesday).

Mike Sokol

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 05:26:32 PM »

re: the Port Clinton incident, various local outlets are reporting that all the shore power points and the boat checked out fine. Seems that somebody's wrong. Ohio DNR Watercraft Division say that they will be announcing the cause this afternoon (Wednesday).

The problem is that most electricians are pretty poor at figuring out incorrect wiring. They're taught to wire things one particular way, so they can't think outside the box. Something is obviously wrong somewhere, so it could take some sleuthing to deduce the failure mode.

Kevin Graf

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 12:35:29 PM »

Put-in-Bay is on an island in Lake Erie. So an examiner would need to fly or boat in.
Speedskater

David Allred

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 12:59:05 PM »

So, was the one that died, electrocuted?   Or did he drown from lack of muscular control due to electrical shock?  Or is it yet to be determined?

Lance Rectanus

• NW Ohio
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 02:19:41 PM »

So, was the one that died, electrocuted?   Or did he drown from lack of muscular control due to electrical shock?  Or is it yet to be determined?

As far as I can tell the cause of death is yet to be determined. The various articles state that the young man reported from the water he was feeling an electrical shock. There were multiple people and one animal in the water, all experiencing some level of this shock. Once the boat was unplugged from the shore power everyone got out of the water safely but the 19 year old.

http://www.cleveland19.com/story/35696277/how-could-the-fatal-put-in-bay-electrocution-happen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 02:19:41 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.