ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost my cool -  (Read 6096 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Lost my cool -
« on: June 17, 2017, 02:23:54 AM »

I really need to learn to say no.

A guitar player for a band I occasionally work with dry rents from me.  All my gear was out tonight so as a favor I rented a PRX system from another shop and had it delivered to his gig.

I was making my round and decided to stop by and say hi.  I got to the gig and there were 4 PRX 728's and 2 735's plugged into one outlet with a crappy home warehouse extension cord.  The guitar player was using a two wire extension cord and they are playing on a trailer underneath an easy up.  I started to get really worked up.  I pointed it out and he was oblivious.

The winds started to pick up and I asked where the tarps are.  No tarps to be found.  I threatened to toss the mains on top of the drum kit and made mention to the band my name was on the line for this system.

I barely got the covers on and the rig put up before I was drenched.  To top it off the band is paid out and he made no gesture to settle up with me.

Once the band left I lit him up. 

No matter what the circumstances I should not let someone get to me.  To top it off I have to learn to say no.  No good deed goes unpunished.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Lost my cool -
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 01:01:55 PM »

Scott,

So the "dry rental" turned out to be "all wet"...

Art

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 04:30:52 PM »

No matter what the circumstances I should not let someone get to me.  To top it off I have to learn to say no.  No good deed goes unpunished.
What a pain in the ass...

No matter how long you work with someone, it needs to be business only, especially if it involves anything related to your business.  Too often, emotions get involved with the situation, when we should actually look at it from a business perspective and treat it as a management-problem.  I find this helps when keeping personal/emotional issues under control during business related matters.

Just like investing... never invest in a stock based on your emotions (how you feel about the stock).  Invest based only on expected results and risk.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 06:08:16 PM »

Scott,
There will be times when the customer deserves a good verbal kick in the ass. Obviously you did right by this guy, and obviously he didn't care. It's your company, your wallet, and you did the right thing
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 07:23:03 PM »

Only one way to walk:

https://youtu.be/-874e-JWo9g
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 07:58:32 PM »

Only one way to walk:

https://youtu.be/-874e-JWo9g

I feel for you Scott; been there.

This predicament makes me think of JJW's "Up Against Wall..." -just kickin' hippie's. a**es and raisin' h***.

-D

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 08:32:48 PM »

I feel for you Scott; been there.

This predicament makes me think of JJW's "Up Against Wall..." -just kickin' hippie's. a**es and raisin' h***.

-D

Thanks guys....Cooler heads prevailed today.  I first apologized for my conduct (not my position) then engaged in a helpful discussion of powering.  I still don't get the guy, he said that powering was "on him" and he knows minimum one circuit per stack.  To me there is no adequate explanation for abdicating your responsibility. 

This is another reason why cover bands (generalizing) and low compensation events truly suck.  Professionalism is all but devoid in the mirk at the bottom of the barrel.  The problem is if you get a little taste of the clean water at the top it is hard to go back to the bottom.

Frankly I would rather be grilling burgers at the shop, working on gear, making contacts etc. then going out on marginally profitable gigs.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 02:49:41 PM »

Frankly I would rather be grilling burgers at the shop, working on gear, making contacts etc. then going out on marginally profitable gigs.

As in "I lose money on every sale, but make up for it in volume".

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 06:32:27 PM »

I think one of the hardest lesson's to live by, in most any new business, is that just because a job ( sale) is profitable does not mean it is a job you should be doing.
Steve Swaffer

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 10:21:34 PM »

I think one of the hardest lesson's to live by, in most any new business, is that just because a job ( sale) is profitable does not mean it is a job you should be doing.

Absolutely and when you have a partner and lean toward consensus (keep my bargaining chips in reserve for important stuff) you end up doing running in the margins and managing by exception.

To me going off process has to be wildly profitable or it's usually not worth the time effort.

It's funny how these conversations all end up to small business workshops.  One of my goals is to hope to have time as I "age out" to work with SCORE.  Passing on and nurturing young entrepreneurs is critical.  The mentors I have had over the years have been priceless.

I get accused all the time of not being hungry anymore and forgetting what it's like to live check to check.  I have no doubt that's true but it also gives me the bandwidth to build better business. 

My partner is 20 years younger than I am.  We have some interesting discussions.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 10:26:45 PM »

As heard in Alaska:  "Remember, we cheat the other guy, and pass the savings on to YOU!"
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Ron Hebbard

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 12:07:32 AM »

As heard in Alaska:  "Remember, we cheat the other guy, and pass the savings on to YOU!"
Where's that 'Like' button?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 01:17:37 AM »

I do not work on certain motorcycles for these reasons. It costs more than you made to keep the end user happy. Sometimes it is hard to find that fine line.

Tom Burgess

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2017, 11:56:41 AM »

I just want to know where you got some PRX 728's.  I'd kill for some of those!  :)
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2017, 12:14:49 PM »

I just want to know where you got some PRX 728's.  I'd kill for some of those!  :)

Typo 718xlf

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jack Arnott

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 01:19:11 PM »

No matter how long you work with someone, it needs to be business only, especially if it involves anything related to your business.  Too often, emotions get involved with the situation, when we should actually look at it from a business perspective and treat it as a management-problem.  I find this helps when keeping personal/emotional issues under control during business related matters.

I am a bit in disagreement. Generally speaking you are of course correct. But if Scott is like me, he does make decisions based on emotion rather than business. This in the manner of helping out people that you like, and want to succeed, but will not bring a lot of revenue your way. I also agree with Bob Leonard that an ass kicking is in line. (Verbally) I don't think Scott crossed any line here. Sometimes (Scott's call on this one) an emotional response will get through better than a carefully worded businesslike response. This in a situation where when Scott gets angry, he gets the clients attention in a way he would not have without doing so.

Scott got angry, was emotionally aware to understand this, and seemed to get his point across to the client by doing so. Also it made Scott have to come to terms with what the client is about, in his business model.
No harm, no foul.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2017, 02:24:42 PM »

I said this to a finance manager once and she replied "Exactly".  "No, it's a joke" I told her.  Then she explained (this was in the late '90s just before the dot com crash) that the stock market (at that time) responded to top line revenue.  And that by making more sales, even though some were losers, the increase in revenue was driving up the stock price.  Thereby making the company (and it's executives) more valuable.  I kind of see a bit of a return to this mentality with the stock market flying under the assumption that corporate taxes will go down and the financial sector will have looser regulations.  That was a real lesson in funny money back then.  If tech busts again, I may need to hustle sound gigs for awhile.  But not being publicly traded would have to make money the old fashioned way, with actual profit.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2017, 11:20:08 PM »

Some good points.  My kind comments went unnoticed. 

3 weeks have passed now.  In retrospect I should have simply said we need to correct these safety violations at the break or we can't continue.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2017, 11:20:08 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.