ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Clair 1 Series Wedges  (Read 11638 times)

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
Re: Clair 1 Series Wedges
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 01:06:52 PM »

Totally makes sense regarding the active/passive pair in one case with cable. However, when using "big boy" wedges, I find I very rarely ever need to provide pairs unless it's just a comfort thing for a particular artist or dealing with a supercard lead vocal or something. I feel like I'd just end up carrying around twice as many wedges all the time and rarely needing the second speaker. But hey, if it works for what you do in your neck of the woods, then by all means that's an excellent feature!

Do take the time to consider the d&b Max2 along with those. A 15" box with the same size/form factor (re: compact-ness) as the 12" loaded M4 and a fair amount less expensive. Pole mount, coax, gets loud and sound great doing it. Most tours we put them in front of think they're M4s until I tell them otherwise. (Before anyone says anything, yes I advance the fact that they're Max2s, but people forget and when they see the box just assume they're M4s....not a bad thing  ;)).

I originally had my heart set on 12" wedges, but am very happy with the decision.

Thanks for the suggestion on the d&b. I'll see if I can audition some. I also have no idea on price, as I have seen some d&b product pricing and they may be one tier above what I'm wanting, but maybe the Max series is more budget friendly. And yes, I know any pro type wedge is going to be $2-4K.

I like 15" wedges if I can because they satisfy a larger number of clients. However with the Clair I could get some 12" and some 15" with the same basic form factor, so that's nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rick Alan

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 03:09:17 PM »

I looked and listened to them too.  Very impressive speaker that gets loud and sound good, plus price competitively.  I am currently in the market for new monitors too.  The 1am+ hit all my check offs; 130+ db, wood, active, power-con power cord, pole cup and price.  I like the fact that one active can power one passive 1am. My only hesitation is Clair just got into the active box market.  I think this speaker is a great multi use speaker for me.  Plus I have a good relationship with there rep firm in FL so I know there will be opportunity to demo products.  Another big plus for you would be brand recognition for bands.  Don't know how rider friendly they are but can't see to many bands passing on Clair monitors.   

Rick

Anyone have any real world experience with these? Either the 1AM or 1.5AM

I got a very brief listen and was VERY impressed.
We are a regional company looking to upgrade our wedges in the next year. These seem to fit the bill and I like the form factor, size, and coaxial response. Clair is also a known quantity and I can't see anyone turning them down.
They also have the option to jump a passive wedge off an active and pole mounts for utility speakers, both useful features for the variety of work we do.

Any experience, thoughts, opinions?

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 09:08:28 PM »

Swerving my own topic, but a lot of EV XW12a wedges just came up locally for a good price. They seem to check most of my boxes, though power handling seems rather low on paper.
I remember seeing these on riders, are these considered a big boy wedge by most?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 01:52:25 AM »

Swerving my own topic, but a lot of EV XW12a wedges just came up locally for a good price. They seem to check most of my boxes, though power handling seems rather low on paper.
I remember seeing these on riders, are these considered a big boy wedge by most?

With the DX38 or KT processing you're golden.  We have xW15 and they've been routinely accepted as substitutes for Clair-level wedges.

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 03:24:13 AM »

I run EAW MW12 on Powersoft X8. It's very nice.

Never had a rider issue with them.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 03:07:16 PM »

With the DX38 or KT processing you're golden.  We have xW15 and they've been routinely accepted as substitutes for Clair-level wedges.

xW15 is still one of the great bargains out there.  Loud AF, sounds good while doing.  I got my hands on the FIR processed version at Infocomm when it first appeared.  Felt like the sky was the limit SPL-wise.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Nitin Thakur

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2017, 04:04:37 AM »

Had a listen to both the models Clair 1+ and 1.5+ at PL&S. Real nice I love them. One of the best monitors I've ever heard for sure. Totally recommend them.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2017, 11:52:05 AM »

I like the fact that one active can power one passive 1am.

That's a great feature!  Wonder why more manufacturers don't offer that capability.  Perhaps their internal amps are pushed to the limit under their current loads?

The 12AM emulation mode is interesting.  Is it there for a comfort-level thing or to allow a mixture of old and new wedges?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2017, 01:00:27 PM »

That's a great feature!  Wonder why more manufacturers don't offer that capability.  Perhaps their internal amps are pushed to the limit under their current loads?

The 12AM emulation mode is interesting.  Is it there for a comfort-level thing or to allow a mixture of old and new wedges?

Dave

I think your speculation about amps is partly correct, plus every time you sell an amp, you're hopefully making a profit.  Clair is buying bigger/more robust bucket amps and I suspect they have some 'excess capacity' available.  The way Clair cases their wedges in pairs also makes sense with this powered box/slave box config.

And for the emulation mode?  Yeah, because there's A Whole Bunch of 12AM out there and likely will be for some time.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jason Phair

• Marketplace
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 02:11:25 PM »

Clair isn't the only one with a 12am emulation mode:

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/tour-sound/vtx-m-series#.WV0rX8aZO7o

And for the emulation mode?  Yeah, because there's A Whole Bunch of 12AM out there and likely will be for some time.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 02:11:25 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.