ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Clair 1 Series Wedges  (Read 11647 times)

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
Clair 1 Series Wedges
« on: June 16, 2017, 10:26:13 PM »

Anyone have any real world experience with these? Either the 1AM or 1.5AM

I got a very brief listen and was VERY impressed.
We are a regional company looking to upgrade our wedges in the next year. These seem to fit the bill and I like the form factor, size, and coaxial response. Clair is also a known quantity and I can't see anyone turning them down.
They also have the option to jump a passive wedge off an active and pole mounts for utility speakers, both useful features for the variety of work we do.

Any experience, thoughts, opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: Clair 1 Series Wedges
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 11:37:05 PM »

They also have the option to jump a passive wedge off an active

I personally feel this is kind of a moot point, as it would mean building an inventory of both active and passive versions of the same speaker, requiring different cabling for different setups, amp racks if you want to use passive speakers standalone, etc. All of a sudden a "convenient feature" has now turned into something much more difficult than just sending out a monitor package for a show.

Haven't heard or seen the Clair wedges, so can't really add anything there.

We upgraded wedges last summer from XTi powered Radian APEX 1200s (microwedges) to d&b Max2 powered by d&b D20s. One perk of the Max2 is it is one of the few boxes d&b makes that can be paired with, in d&b's words, "any linear amplifier." We still own the XTis and the Radians, so we now have two monitor packages that can easily cross-pollinate as needed. Each amp can drive each speaker, same cabling required, power demands, etc. We've never done this, because we have enough amps and wedges in each package to handle what they need to do, but it's nice to know if we ever get in that situation we can do so without having to think about it.

And when you've just worked an all-day, outdoor festival and have to turn over a rig to go to a theatre show the next day, sometimes not having to think about your gear is a very valuable feature.

eric lenasbunt

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 09:11:55 AM »

While I hear what you are saying there is a significant price difference with the passive and active, so doing a few front line pairs in the active/passive combo could be cost effective. The cabling could be kept in the case for a pair. Seems helpful to me for many situations.
I'm probably going to demo the wedges in the passive version though, as I do have a few amp racks floating around already.

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 10:58:22 AM »

Anyone have any real world experience with these? Either the 1AM or 1.5AM

I got a very brief listen and was VERY impressed.
We are a regional company looking to upgrade our wedges in the next year. These seem to fit the bill and I like the form factor, size, and coaxial response. Clair is also a known quantity and I can't see anyone turning them down.
They also have the option to jump a passive wedge off an active and pole mounts for utility speakers, both useful features for the variety of work we do.

Any experience, thoughts, opinions?

L Acoustics X12 is also worth a look, very light weight, and good sounding... Also very useful for PA on a stick gigs.

Thomas Dameron

• SR Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 02:59:15 PM »

I don't have any experience with the new Clair stuff, so I can't help you there.  I agree that their name would be helpful meeting riders, but I also get the impression that are getting easier to please in that department.

If you're looking for a new co-ax wedge, I would take a long look at the new Martin XE stuff.  I haven't heard them, but people I trust have said they sound amazing.  The price is right compared to some of the other top shelf options.  I don't know your inventory but it may be a deal breaker that they're a wedge only and won't go on a pole.  However, the flip side of that is that they're smaller than a lot of similar speakers that let you have it both ways.  I've found that especially in theaters where the front row is seated and VIP a short wedge can be a crucial feature.

thomas d.

eric lenasbunt

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 09:54:46 PM »

I don't have any experience with the new Clair stuff, so I can't help you there.  I agree that their name would be helpful meeting riders, but I also get the impression that are getting easier to please in that department.

If you're looking for a new co-ax wedge, I would take a long look at the new Martin XE stuff.  I haven't heard them, but people I trust have said they sound amazing.  The price is right compared to some of the other top shelf options.  I don't know your inventory but it may be a deal breaker that they're a wedge only and won't go on a pole.  However, the flip side of that is that they're smaller than a lot of similar speakers that let you have it both ways.  I've found that especially in theaters where the front row is seated and VIP a short wedge can be a crucial feature.

thomas d.

I appreciate the suggestion and definitely like the form factor of the Martin. I saw them at Infocomm but didn't get to hear them.

While the ability to pole mount is not a deal breaker it is certainly a desired feature. 
Right now we are mostly a JBL house but none of their higher end wedges are really drawing me in compared to to L Acoustics 115xt or Clair 1 or 1.5

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 11:27:24 PM »

I appreciate the suggestion and definitely like the form factor of the Martin. I saw them at Infocomm but didn't get to hear them.

While the ability to pole mount is not a deal breaker it is certainly a desired feature. 
Right now we are mostly a JBL house but none of their higher end wedges are really drawing me in compared to to L Acoustics 115xt or Clair 1 or 1.5

Because of the Differential Dispersion characteristic of the XE series combined with the additional waveguide (compared to CDD, CDD-LIVE, and the new LE series monitors) the XE series really cannot be utilized properly in a vertical (pole mount) configuration.  They do have rigging fittings.  The LE100 monitor is the only monitor format speaker (from Martin Audio) that offers a pole mount socket.  The entire CDD-LIVE range offers a monitor angle cut and a pole mount plus rigging fittings, built in power, DSP, and DANTE integration.

Lee

Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

jason misterka

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 11:29:16 PM »

I heard then at infocomm and of course they do sound great.  Also I am pretty sure they said there was a pole mount hidden in the front pocket. But maybe I am mistaken them for their other model line, I heard them both.

Edit: to clarify I am talking about the Martin boxes.

Jason

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 11:48:06 PM by jason misterka »

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 11:56:38 PM »

I heard then at infocomm and of course they do sound great.  Also I am pretty sure they said there was a pole mount hidden in the front pocket. But maybe I am mistaken them for their other model line, I heard them both.

Edit: to clarify I am talking about the Martin boxes.

Jason

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jason,
I am sure there is not a front mounted pole socket as that would be backwards for Differential Dispersion characteristics.  On the LE100 the socket is on the tall edge of the monitor.  Think of it as the side away from the performer.  If the XE series had a mount it would need to be located similarly.
I will check and see if one has been added to XE but none of the preliminary literature showed it.  Unfortunately I didn't make it to InfoComm this year.

Lee
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 01:19:56 AM by Lee Buckalew »
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 01:05:51 AM »

While I hear what you are saying there is a significant price difference with the passive and active, so doing a few front line pairs in the active/passive combo could be cost effective. The cabling could be kept in the case for a pair. Seems helpful to me for many situations.

Totally makes sense regarding the active/passive pair in one case with cable. However, when using "big boy" wedges, I find I very rarely ever need to provide pairs unless it's just a comfort thing for a particular artist or dealing with a supercard lead vocal or something. I feel like I'd just end up carrying around twice as many wedges all the time and rarely needing the second speaker. But hey, if it works for what you do in your neck of the woods, then by all means that's an excellent feature!

Do take the time to consider the d&b Max2 along with those. A 15" box with the same size/form factor (re: compact-ness) as the 12" loaded M4 and a fair amount less expensive. Pole mount, coax, gets loud and sound great doing it. Most tours we put them in front of think they're M4s until I tell them otherwise. (Before anyone says anything, yes I advance the fact that they're Max2s, but people forget and when they see the box just assume they're M4s....not a bad thing  ;)).

I originally had my heart set on 12" wedges, but am very happy with the decision.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 01:05:51 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.