ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Misting Tent near Air-Co units  (Read 12109 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: Misting Tent near Air-Co units
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 06:06:43 PM »

True, but a group of people hanging around them in w wet mist isn't a "normal condition"
Why take any risk when the tent could be relocated?

Will there be any power used in the tent?
Steve Swaffer

John Fruits

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 06:09:52 PM »

Have the people at the fire hall been made aware of possible safety issues?
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 09:05:16 PM »

Have the people at the fire hall been made aware of possible safety issues?

You should see the wall outlets and stove connections in this fire hall. They neither understand, nor care about electrical hookups and safety.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 09:53:54 PM »

You should see the wall outlets and stove connections in this fire hall. They neither understand, nor care about electrical hookups and safety.

It's job security.  ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 01:27:51 AM »

Besides the safety issues, putting a misting tent near outdoor A/C units seems pretty stupid.

The purpose of the misting tent is to provide a spot to COOL OFF. Air conditioning units give off a lot of heat when running. So the two are at cross purposes. Besides, the units can be quite noisy. (So can kids.)

Seems to be the misting tent would be more pleasant somewhere else.

Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 02:50:19 PM »

So it's a catering company your wife works for that is putting up the misting tent and she is, in a way, responsible for it? If not, and she goes around with a NCVT checking things, does that act make her somewhat responsible?
Just trying to understand if a person who has a concern can suddenly become a "responsible party" should something bad happen. I understand that anyone can be sued for anything at any time.

Scott,
I do appreciate the realities of your observation, and thank you for expressing them.  My rant is more about our litigious society.

[Rant]
Why is it when someone plays stupid (or is genuinely stupid), society gives them a pass, but when someone tries to do something right, i.e., using a NCVT to allay someone's own fears, one becomes "more responsible" than if they were totally clueless.  Something is upside down, imo. Maybe it's me that's upside down in my thinking...
[/Rant]

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 06:12:22 PM »

[Rant]
Why is it when someone plays stupid (or is genuinely stupid), society gives them a pass, but when someone tries to do something right, i.e., using a NCVT to allay someone's own fears, one becomes "more responsible" than if they were totally clueless.  Something is upside down, imo. Maybe it's me that's upside down in my thinking...
[/Rant]

While stupidity may not be illegal, crimes of stupidity do tend to be self-prosecuting.

The "more responsible" aspect comes down to "doing something" when you become aware of a problem. If you're not qualified to "do something" then if you know of a problem you have a responsibility to inform someone who IS qualified to do something -- you have done your "something." And being "qualified to do something" may simply mean that the person has the authority to stop an activity or secure an area where a hazard is present.

If you are aware of a problem and do nothing (and "doing nothing" could mean that you didn't tell anyone who could do something), a court COULD find you responsible for negligence. This comes from the principle that a person with reasonable knowledge has a social responsibility to protect those without that knowledge, whether or not the problem is within the person's realm of authority.

For example, if the bridge washes out and you just stand there waiting to see who drives into the river, it seems that you could be found negligent for not making any attempt to warn unsuspecting drivers, even though you are not a police officer or public works employee.

It's kind of like how some states have mandatory reporters for suspected child abuse: even though they are not a party to it nor have the ability to stop it, a schoolteacher who suspects a child may be abused may suffer legal repercussions if they do not report the suspected abuse to an agency that CAN engage in direct intervention. When providing professional services, we are held (by society) to a higher standard of professionalism, because it is expected that we have a greater awareness and understanding of potential dangers. While we may not be "mandatory reporters" in a codified sense, the general public expects us to protect them from dangers we are aware of. When we are aware of dangers but do nothing, society finds us culpable in harm that may occur.

At the minimum, there is a societal expectation of "see something say something."

This is starting to veer into politics and social issues, so I should probably stop here.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 06:19:07 PM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 06:21:11 PM »

I note that the law of negligence varies from country to country, and among the several states in the USA. In addition, the common law developes and changes over time. YMMV, etc.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 06:43:04 PM »

Also you don't declare an object or situation to be "safe".  In Mike's example, if my NCVT did not indicate the presence of voltage, that's what I'd say - "my voltage detector does not show the presence of voltage".  Never say "yeah, it's safe" because there may be other hazards you are unaware of.  Speak only to what you observe.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 07:04:17 PM »

When in doubt do what's right.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 07:04:17 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.