ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lithonia WF4 LED Downlight & DMX Control  (Read 3659 times)

Steven Mason

Lithonia WF4 LED Downlight & DMX Control
« on: June 15, 2017, 10:42:36 PM »

Hi,

Forgive my ignorance on this topic, my church recently installed these (http://www.lithonia.com/commercial/wf4+downlight.html#.WT8dAmgrJaQ) fixtures as mechanically dimmable house lights. Ideally, we want to dim them via the DMX controller. They're 120V LED lights and I'm trying to figure any way possible to get these connected to dimmer packs or some sort of dimmable LED driver system. Any help or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Cailen Waddell

Re: Lithonia WF4 LED Downlight & DMX Control
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 08:14:35 AM »

Well, you would need a qualified electrician to wire them to dimmer packs not to a wall switch or whatever they are wired to now.  That said, test first, as different dimmers will react differently and the results may not be what you want. 

Additionally building code may require some interesting things if you wire them to dimmers.  Generally you have to be able to turn lights on if you go in a room, so those wall switches may need to be replaced with an architectural control system.  They also may be required to turn on at full when the fire alarm goes off.  These things are all possible but add expense.  You may be better off finding a purpose made dimmable LED product and having two systems of light in your sanctuary. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 12:32:13 PM »

Dimmable LED needs to be designed in advance.  Typically non-dimmed power goes to the fixtures, and DMX, sACN, or DMX via 0-10V converter goes via low voltage wiring. 

As a general rule, trying to dim LED's from a dimmer doesn't work well. 

You may need to go back, redesign the dimming/control aspect, and swap out the lights.  Why spend many $K to dim a few $hundred in bulbs to an unknown degree of quality?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 02:46:06 PM »

The spec sheet lists approved dimmers for these fixtures.  They are all standard architectural products, not the sort that integrates with any pro lighting protocol.  I didn't look to see if any of the dimmers are part of an automation product line.  I could with some effort craft an art-net to lutron radiora2 bridge but it would be rather hacky.

If you're looking for the kind of dimming performance you're used to with theatrical fixtures you'll never get it with these lights.  If you need that performance then you have to go back to square one.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 02:46:06 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.