ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need to enlarge cutout on power distro panel.  (Read 1327 times)

Ron Hebbard

Re: Need to enlarge cutout on power distro panel.
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2017, 12:12:43 am »

That harbor freight kit sucks.  I've got one, I don't use it.  The smaller size is especially bad because the small bolt shaft isn't a consistent size and as such it can move inside the pilot hole and screw up your placement.  I've taken to using the Kline split-slug punches, much higher quality, very easy to get great accuracy if you do your layout properly.
EVERY Greenlee punch I've ever owned has had center lines engraved into the die, EVERY ONE OF THEM.  All through my apprenticeship I couldn't believe how many journeymen never noticed the center lines and never knew of their existence.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 12:37:30 am »

Jon, do you have access to a drill press (even a table top sized one)?  If so, you can use a hole saw that fits the existing cutout as a centering jig for the new size. If you clamp your panel in place so the current sized hole saw is lined up with the existing hole, then you are lined up to make a concentric hole with a hole saw of the new size.  It is not a high-precision setup, but it is probably "good enough" for your purposes. Run the saw at the slowest speed available on the drill press, and go slowly with the downward feed on the hole saw. You can "check your work" by lightly sawing the panel just a little, and looking to see if the circles are concentric.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 02:45:20 pm »

Google this:    Unibit

Buy one.

I did not think they came in sizes over 1-3/8"?

iirc, Hubbel CS needs 2-3/16"
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 03:00:17 pm »

You can just buy a single punch die set with bolt.

I did that for my Neutrik panel mounts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 04:26:16 pm »

I did not think they came in sizes over 1-3/8"?

iirc, Hubbel CS needs 2-3/16"

My apologies! 

The Unibit is best thing since sliced bread for enlarging holes - until it's not big enough -   Duooooh!

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 06:06:27 pm »

Jon, do you have access to a drill press (even a table top sized one)?  If so, you can use a hole saw that fits the existing cutout as a centering jig for the new size. If you clamp your panel in place so the current sized hole saw is lined up with the existing hole, then you are lined up to make a concentric hole with a hole saw of the new size.  It is not a high-precision setup, but it is probably "good enough" for your purposes. Run the saw at the slowest speed available on the drill press, and go slowly with the downward feed on the hole saw. You can "check your work" by lightly sawing the panel just a little, and looking to see if the circles are concentric.

Along the same lines, but a slightly different technique:

Use a hole saw of the desired size to cut a hole in a piece of plywood or MDF. Then clamp the plywood to the panel with the hole that needs to be enlarged. You can then use the plywood as a guide for the hole saw. Use a low speed.

You can also clamp a piece of plywood (without a precut hole) on the inside as a backing plate to run the hole saw's pilot bit into. Better yet, do both.

This trick can work in places where a drill press won't. Make sure the plywood is clamped very securely, because if the bit catches it can cause the plywood to move and THAT will totally make a mess of things.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 18 queries.