ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Working in a RF nightmare  (Read 6756 times)

Ryan Michener

Working in a RF nightmare
« on: June 14, 2017, 02:36:21 AM »

Hey guys I've been in quite a predicament lately and could use some advice. I work in a small venue (seats about 400) with a small presenium that employs the use of a 12'x32' thrust to compensate for the small stage. We host a wide variety of events ranging from concerts to corporate events, but the most troublesome of all is community theater. Most community theater troops will rent out venues like mine to host their productions. They provide all the wireless lavalier mics for their productions. It's my job to set up the mics and run sound for the shows. So here's where it gets bad... naturally these theater troops are one a budget. They alll seem to have the same mics. Maybe this is just in my local theater community bacause I assume the Same people are recommending the same products to all the play directors. I can't recall the model number, but they are audio technica mics. One channel per unit. They operate on frequencies from 482 a 506. Incraments of .025. They have no network compatibility, so I can't use audio technica's RF control software. I think it's called artist elite or something. Even buying a spectrum anylizer is out of the question because I can't go spending company money just to accomadate one client when there's plenty of upgrades that we hold at a greater priority. The auto scan function works on 9 different groups and has worked terribly. The last time I reset all the frequencies using it I got tons of drop outs and even local television broadcasting interference. So I've just been stuck in a tragic loop of trial and error. Based on the placement of our stage box, I can't think of any other place to place the receivers than right on top of the stage box, stacked on top of each other, right behind the persenium.(stage right) but because of the small stage most of the action is on the thrust. So I can't even have a line of sight between transmitters and receivers half the time. And there's no way to get them any higher than 5 ft off the ground. At least I can't think of any. They all run off Omni directional antennas. These guys can't afford a Log periodic antennas or really any RF distribution, and again we can't go buying that stuff just for one or two clients. I'm sick of getting bad results and being looked at like I don't know what I'm doing. In reality I don't know what I'm doing! I've had formal training in all this stuff, but it's like how can you cut a steak with spoon? I've thought about building a DIY log periodic antenna, but how am I going to know I'm getting the frequency response I need? the house wireless system is all sennhieser G3 with a sennheiser splitter and it works flawlessly. But we're talking 12 wireless units working in tandum with stock Omni antennas stacked on top of each other with a wall full of all sorts of metal and no distribution. I'm all out of ideas. I always have at least two mics experiencing interference and dropouts. It is extremely frustrating and I've been racking my brain for months. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Cailen Waddell

Re: Working in a RF nightmare
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 08:07:49 AM »

Have you checked the frequencies of the mics against one of the databases to makes sure you are avoiding tv stations?  Maybe I'm missing that but didn't see it in your post...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 08:30:16 AM »

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?
Shure Wireless Workbench

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 10:52:53 AM »

Hey guys I've been in quite a predicament lately ...
"These guys can't afford a Log periodic antennas or really any RF distribution"

Then they can't afford 12ch of wireless. Period. Insist that they allow you to do the job right or refuse to take responsibility for the impossible task they are forcing on you.

With that said, offer a compromise and suggest that they budget a modest amount for short term rental of antennas and distribution. VER has everything you need and the cost is small compared to purchase. Considering that the street price of a pair of superb LPDA antennas can be under $330 and distribution under $500, the small fraction of that spent on rental should be considered a required cost of production.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/352354-REG/Audio_Technica_ATW_A49_ATW_A49_UHF_LPDA.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891423-REG/rfvenue_distro4_rf_and_dc_4_channel.html

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 10:55:11 AM by Jason Glass »

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 11:15:36 AM »

Insist that they allow you to do the job right or refuse to take responsibility for the impossible task they are forcing on you.

Couldn't agree more.

Lee Douglas

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 11:27:35 AM »

I'm no wireless guru (but there are a couple of them on the forum) but I would imagine that stacking all of those antennas on right on top of each other could be the problem.  Using the correct antenna distribution system may clear up your problems.  Separating them may also help.  Although not as organized, it might help you determine if the antenna farm is part of your issue.  I'm also wondering why you're being held responsible for your clients equipment? 
My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot...

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 11:59:53 AM »

"These guys can't afford a Log periodic antennas or really any RF distribution"

Then they can't afford 12ch of wireless. Period. Insist that they allow you to do the job right or refuse to take responsibility for the impossible task they are forcing on you.

With that said, offer a compromise and suggest that they budget a modest amount for short term rental of antennas and distribution. VER has everything you need and the cost is small compared to purchase. Considering that the street price of a pair of superb LPDA antennas can be under $330 and distribution under $500, the small fraction of that spent on rental should be considered a required cost of production.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/352354-REG/Audio_Technica_ATW_A49_ATW_A49_UHF_LPDA.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891423-REG/rfvenue_distro4_rf_and_dc_4_channel.html

You'd need 3 of the distribution units.  But I disagree with the antenna recommendation.  At that close distance the Omni should be fine (or at least 1/2 wave).  High gain antennas will overload the inputs to the receiver's and increase distortion.

I also agree with the commenter who said stacking the units can have an effect.  Hopefully the antennas aren't touching, but even if close, can cause issues.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 12:05:56 PM »

You'd need 3 of the distribution units.  But I disagree with the antenna recommendation.  At that close distance the Omni should be fine (or at least 1/2 wave).  High gain antennas will overload the inputs to the receiver's and increase distortion.

I also agree with the commenter who said stacking the units can have an effect.  Hopefully the antennas aren't touching, but even if close, can cause issues.
As the OP stated, the problem is not distance, it's objects between the RX location and performance area, encroaching on Fresnel zones. The remedy is remote antennas placed outside the proscenium, while the passive paddles recommended are the simplest to deploy and have appropriate gain to overcome cable losses.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 12:08:17 PM by Jason Glass »

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 12:28:07 PM »

As the OP stated, the problem is not distance, it's objects between the RX location and performance area, encroaching on Fresnel zones. The remedy is remote antennas placed outside the proscenium, while the passive paddles recommended are the simplest to deploy and have appropriate gain to overcome cable losses.

I missed that part.  Thanks.  You'd still need to calculate cable size/length/gain to make sure of no overload.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 08:16:30 PM »

I missed that part.

Paragraphs and formatting are wonderful things.  I stopped reading the OP and read the responses to get an understand what was going on.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 08:16:30 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.