ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Vibrio or Luminair?  (Read 10143 times)

Roch Lafleur

• Ottawa, ONTARIO
Vibrio or Luminair?
« on: June 12, 2017, 12:43:03 PM »

I have a small lighting rig that I use for live bands. It consists of 10 SlimPar Pro Tri on a back truss and 4 VW on front T-bars. I mostly run sounds for my own bands, but also provide for other bands and  smaller festivals from time to time. I have a Danley p.a. and concentrate my efforts on sound. If clients require more than what I have for lights, I send them to a friend with a bigger lighting rig. That being said, I may add a few movers at some point. I currently run lights with an SD1 but find it hard to program as it take me a few hours to get back into figuring it out every time I need to add some shows/scenes/chases. I would like something more user-friendly that I could also control from iPad.

I've been thinking about getting the Luminair app for a while as it seems much simpler to program. While reading up (again) on it recently, I came across Vibrio. It seems perfect for what I want to do but I can't find much info/reviews on it except for what is on their website.

Anyone here using Vibrio? Any suggestions between it vs Luminair?

Thanks,
R
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 01:44:18 PM by Roch Lafleur »
DSL SM80 (2), DSL TH118 (4), db Technologies DVX DM-12, JBL PRX615M, Behringer X32, X32-C, Crown MAi, QSC PLX

Brian_Henry

• NJ
    • Mountainside Studios, LLC
Re: Vibrio or Luminair?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 06:36:34 PM »

I have not used Vibrio, but I stayed away from Luminaire due to lack of palettes. If that changes/has changed it might be something to consider. Not being able to make quick global changes to my looks was a deal breaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graham Spice

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 10:50:34 PM »

I have a small lighting rig that I use for live bands. It consists of 10 SlimPar Pro Tri on a back truss and 4 VW on front T-bars. I mostly run sounds for my own bands, but also provide for other bands and  smaller festivals from time to time. I have a Danley p.a. and concentrate my efforts on sound. If clients require more than what I have for lights, I send them to a friend with a bigger lighting rig. That being said, I may add a few movers at some point. I currently run lights with an SD1 but find it hard to program as it take me a few hours to get back into figuring it out every time I need to add some shows/scenes/chases. I would like something more user-friendly that I could also control from iPad.

I've been thinking about getting the Luminair app for a while as it seems much simpler to program. While reading up (again) on it recently, I came across Vibrio. It seems perfect for what I want to do but I can't find much info/reviews on it except for what is on their website.

Anyone here using Vibrio? Any suggestions between it vs Luminair?

Thanks,
R
Would a small hardware controller work for you or do you need moving light control? I wouldn't look forward to running a show with Luminair or Vibrio (I do own both, btw). The perfect iOS-controlled DMX app is not yet available IMHO

Roch Lafleur

• Ottawa, ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 02:03:53 PM »

Would a small hardware controller work for you or do you need moving light control? I wouldn't look forward to running a show with Luminair or Vibrio (I do own both, btw). The perfect iOS-controlled DMX app is not yet available IMHO

I don't need anything fancy as I don't currently have movers, although I do plan on adding a few at some point. I currently use a Show Designer 1, but I find it complicated to program. Everytime I decide to change something, it takes me hours just to remember how to do it. I almost pulled the plug on Luminair last year and was about to again when I came across Vibrio. It seems a bit more powerful than Luminair, but there isn't a ton of info or videos on it.

I often run sound from the stage for my own band(s), but also provide sound for other bands and smaller festivals. For my bands, I usually program a few shows and run through them during our sets. However, when I'm at FOH, I tend to "play" a bit more with chases to match to the music better. I don't like to bring a laptop (things sometimes end up on the floor), but always have my ipad.

I have some friends that used Luminair for about a year. They have since added a bunch of movers and now control via PC.

Any recommendations? Thanks!
R
DSL SM80 (2), DSL TH118 (4), db Technologies DVX DM-12, JBL PRX615M, Behringer X32, X32-C, Crown MAi, QSC PLX

Steve Garris

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 03:39:28 PM »

I don't need anything fancy as I don't currently have movers, although I do plan on adding a few at some point. I currently use a Show Designer 1, but I find it complicated to program. Everytime I decide to change something, it takes me hours just to remember how to do it. I almost pulled the plug on Luminair last year and was about to again when I came across Vibrio. It seems a bit more powerful than Luminair, but there isn't a ton of info or videos on it.

I often run sound from the stage for my own band(s), but also provide sound for other bands and smaller festivals. For my bands, I usually program a few shows and run through them during our sets. However, when I'm at FOH, I tend to "play" a bit more with chases to match to the music better. I don't like to bring a laptop (things sometimes end up on the floor), but always have my ipad.

I have some friends that used Luminair for about a year. They have since added a bunch of movers and now control via PC.

Any recommendations? Thanks!
R

I'm currently in the process of learning & programming a Luminair-3 show. I remember looking at Vibrio but cannot recall why I decided against it. I'm coming from a hardware controller (Magic 260) that I really like, but I need something even more portable.

I'll be running Luminair on an iPad mini II. I've go it connected via a dedicated Airport Express, and I'm using the dmx1-Pro from dmx King. Once I get some scenes programmed I can comment further. I have some real cheap movers that I am going to attempted programming. Right now, I just use their "auto program" function in the light for movement, but I'm hoping I can control the movement in Luminair. I'll post an update once I get further along.

Edit: The Luminair documentation is pretty poor IMO. There is a lot that could be explained better - and some things that aren't explained at all. I also struggled to find user videos or forum posts that were helpful.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 03:43:27 PM by Steve Garris »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 06:56:27 PM »

And that might be what you end up needing to do.  If you've already hit the wall with your SD1, I don't think Luminair will really offer that much potential growth before you hit the wall yet again.  The last time I used a Luminair rig they still hadn't yet implemented palettes, which was a major downfall of the product for any sort of advanced programming with moving lights.  Is that still the case Steve?  If so, I'd be afraid you'll end up in the exact same situation you're in right now sooner rather than later...

While I get that you're not keen on bringing a laptop along to run your lights with, why not build up a rackmount PC with a MIDI wing for control?  Either something like an M-Touch if you like the feel of it or maybe a more conventional wing or MIDI controller if you don't?  That way you're not constrained by the limits of a product, or any product at all for that matter!

Graham Spice

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 12:36:12 AM »

The last time I used a Luminair rig they still hadn't yet implemented palettes, which was a major downfall of the product for any sort of advanced programming with moving lights. 
This is still the case, no palettes in Luminair

While I get that you're not keen on bringing a laptop along to run your lights with, why not build up a rackmount PC with a MIDI wing for control?  Either something like an M-Touch if you like the feel of it or maybe a more conventional wing or MIDI controller if you don't?  That way you're not constrained by the limits of a product, or any product at all for that matter!
This is exactly what I did, purchased an M-Touch and learned the M-PC software. It has taken me quite a bit of time to feel comfortable with the rig but I'm starting to get the hang of it. M-PC is pretty cool (Windows only) and free to download and play around with.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 11:09:06 AM »

I've been using the older Luminair program for a couple of years now and t has been fantastic. I only control floods - no moving heads (the current Luminair program accommodates easier moving head control than the old one). Easy set -up.
Same router I use for sound - Enttec NODE - fixture.

I am so familiar with Luminair now that I can program and reprogram very quickly.
I have had zero problems over the past 2 years.
My only complaint ( which is more against Apple according to Synthe FX the developers) is that when I purchased the app, it was only a few months before the new Luminair program was launched. I was not afforded the opportunity to upgrade at a lesser cost and didn't want to pay full price again after having just done so - so I have continued to use the old version. One day I'll upgrade.

A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

mac90

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 03:12:39 AM »

Ever tried Photon iOS?

I really like it. Works great for me.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber