ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Restricting WWB frequency coordination to pre-existing groups/channels?  (Read 6494 times)

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF

There isn't anything "incorrect" about using the manufacturer-assigned groups and channels to coordinate units in the same band... that's what they are there for and I trust manufacturers to know how to properly space frequencies and intermods on their own equipment.

An example of a common scenario where I would like to restrict my coordination to groups/channels in WWB:

I have Multiple Shure ULX units will be setup throughout a GS and multiple breakout rooms all in close proximity.  I need to coordinate them all before sending them out to their respective rooms.  I also would like to have backup freqs on hand incase of unexpected interference, or if extra units end up being added last minute. 

I import a .csv scan into WWB so it can avoid any local RF transmissions, and do a coordination.  It gives me my list of frequencies, but they all need to be "manually" entered into the receivers and transmitters (ULXs don't even have an IR sync) since none of them are group/channel freqs.   

This is very time consuming to deploy.  If I could stick with groups/channels, it would save time programming them and it would be easier to tell the breakout techs what freqs to use (i.e. "G3 C2" instead of "525.125").  Also, if someone ended up taking hits and needed to make an "emergency" change, or needed to add a mic, they could just do a quick channel scan and find a clean one that wouldn't invalidate my whole coordination.
See my first post in this thread and my second. Enter the data in WWB and then import the scan and see if everything is working together. Then save that setup. Then if you need to add more or move to a different place lock the existing wireless in WWB and then import your scan and see if in this location everything plays nice together. Then add the additional units and if it is possible it will give you coordinated frequencies for the new ones. It also makes sense to put some spares into your initial coordination then the only variable will be the scan and of course the look up for local frequencies.

You can enter all of the data using the Group and Channel in WWB 6.12. Also when you have WWB calculate (add) more channels it will display the Group and the Channel besides the frequency.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber

There isn't anything "incorrect" about using the manufacturer-assigned groups and channels to coordinate units in the same band... that's what they are there for and I trust manufacturers to know how to properly space frequencies and intermods on their own equipment.

An example of a common scenario where I would like to restrict my coordination to groups/channels in WWB:

I have Multiple Shure ULX units will be setup throughout a GS and multiple breakout rooms all in close proximity.  I need to coordinate them all before sending them out to their respective rooms.  I also would like to have backup freqs on hand incase of unexpected interference, or if extra units end up being added last minute. 

I import a .csv scan into WWB so it can avoid any local RF transmissions, and do a coordination.  It gives me my list of frequencies, but they all need to be "manually" entered into the receivers and transmitters (ULXs don't even have an IR sync) since none of them are group/channel freqs.   

This is very time consuming to deploy.  If I could stick with groups/channels, it would save time programming them and it would be easier to tell the breakout techs what freqs to use (i.e. "G3 C2" instead of "525.125").  Also, if someone ended up taking hits and needed to make an "emergency" change, or needed to add a mic, they could just do a quick channel scan and find a clean one that wouldn't invalidate my whole coordination.

Unless all the RF in the room is in that 1 group there is no coordination. Since there is usually only 8-10 frequencies in those groups doing a coord that includes spares is an effort in futility. Also anyone doing a scan to chose a clear frequency will invalidate your coord.

Mac

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio

In IAS, you can select the frequency list for a unit to show ALL tunable frequencies, or only frequencies that exist as a channel in a group. 

Is there a way to set WWB to only use pre-existing group/channel frequencies in a coordination?

Sometimes I am in a situation where the devices aren't networked, and it would save time to only have to assign group/channels to them instead of scrolling through frequency settings 25kHz at a time.

This thread has been interesting but I think the effect is moot.  Your desire is to give your techs the group/channels numbers rather than frequencies when using WWB.

As john pointed out above, Go ahead and do your coordination for all your spaces.  As you can see below WWB and IAS both list the group and channel numbers for the frequencies.  Since you are using WWB the freqs will be properly IM coordinated even if they use freqs from different groups -  Just keep all your coords in an RF area in the same zone and the freqs can be backups for any mic in the area, just by giving the group/channel numbers to your techs.  Do not allow any local scans since there is no control and you cannot be sure that it will not effect other rooms which might not be on at the time.

First shot is WWB and second is IAS  (don't compare the two they were different shows.)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 09:31:47 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Jordan Wolf

...As you can see below WWB and IAS both list the group and channel numbers for the frequencies.  Since you are using WWB the freqs will be properly IM coordinated even if they use freqs from different groups -  Just keep all your coords in an RF area in the same zone and the freqs can be backups for any mic in the area, just by giving the group/channel numbers to your techs.  Do not allow any local scans since there is no control and you cannot be sure that it will not effect other rooms which might not be on at the time.
Pete,

From my experience, WWB will not constrain its calculations to using ONLY Gr/Ch presets when calculating UHF-R units; more often than not, the coordinated freqs. do not line up with a Gr/Ch preset.

In WWB Inventory, ULX units can be constrained to Gr/Ch presets OR used in Master List mode for more frequency agility.

Only sticking with Gr/Ch presets limits the amount of freqs. you can make work, but if that number works for the OP, it cpuld save some time.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.