ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: RE-20 on sax  (Read 6875 times)

John J.R. Bogle

Re: RE-20 on sax
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 04:34:46 PM »

I have an RE20. Love it on sax but in a live situation, yes I'd use the HPF. Unless it's a bari sax or Bass Clarinet, is there anything close to the freq that is being rolled off? Yes you can use the HPF on the strip but why put any extra junk into the front end (I'd probably have both engaged). This could allow you an extra db or two front end gain (better S/N in the end). You shouldn't loose any warmth as below 80 hz is more like plosive booms and bleed from the bass & kick.

In the live arena I use HPF on just about everything other than Kick, Bass, Some keys and other bass register instruments (if the console offers variable freq HPF I'll even use it on these instruments but way down at 30 - 40 hz). It really cleans up your mix (better depth & distinction without the mud).

FWIW they weigh a ton and are huge (as I'm sure you know). Use a heavy weigh stand & boom and secure it well.

Just my .02 worth

John J.R. Bogle

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 08:29:39 PM »

Love the RE20 on 'bones and the bigger saxes. What I intensely dislike is the stupid high price of the clips, which are quite fragile for such an elephant of a mic.
M

John J.R. Bogle

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 06:26:27 PM »

Love the RE20 on 'bones and the bigger saxes. What I intensely dislike is the stupid high price of the clips, which are quite fragile for such an elephant of a mic.
M
No kidding. And the cheap rubberized clips that will fit it won't hold the weight properly.

John J.R. Bogle

Michael Lascuola

• WoodlawnSound.com
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 09:20:56 AM »

I just bit the bullet and paid the cost of an Audix mic for a replacement clip, but I love my RE/PL-20s
Not to derail the thread, but one of them does rattle slightly.  I've never heard it in isolated tracks, but does anyone recommend a repair person, or self-repair method?
Colorado Springs, CO

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 06:52:56 PM »

I just bit the bullet and paid the cost of an Audix mic for a replacement clip, but I love my RE/PL-20s
Not to derail the thread, but one of them does rattle slightly.  I've never heard it in isolated tracks, but does anyone recommend a repair person, or self-repair method?

As the RE-20 is current production I think EV will repair/rebuild them.  EV used to do that service in Lincoln, NE but may have moved it to Minnesota.  Call EV.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 06:52:56 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.