ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Waves Soundgrid VS DANTE  (Read 27152 times)

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Waves Soundgrid VS DANTE
« on: June 11, 2017, 05:26:24 AM »

Have any of you noticed any potential issues with Waves Soundgrid as opposed to DANTE? I know its layer 2 vs layer 3, this would pretty much be for audio transport to broadcast and recording as well as plugin processing not for primary snake usage so don't really need HA control.

Would probably be 64-128 channels being transported and 48 kHz.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: Waves Soundgrid VS DANTE
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 08:50:22 AM »

Have any of you noticed any potential issues with Waves Soundgrid as opposed to DANTE? I know its layer 2 vs layer 3, this would pretty much be for audio transport to broadcast and recording as well as plugin processing not for primary snake usage so don't really need HA control.

Would probably be 64-128 channels being transported and 48 kHz.

I was not aware the Waves Soundgrid could be utilized as a general audio transport.  I thought it was dedicated to interconnecting with a Waves Soundgrid Server. 

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 10:03:03 AM »

I was not aware the Waves Soundgrid could be utilized as a general audio transport.  I thought it was dedicated to interconnecting with a Waves Soundgrid Server. 

Lee

This is correct. The Soundgrid "servers" process the network packets.

Basic networking 101 tells you the first layer of the ISO model is the physical layer, so in effect the server has added another process with the need to have every packet read by the Soundgrid server prior to being forwarded to the intended networked device, the DAW or board.

With Dante the packets are read at the Dante compatible device the packet was intended to be received by , the mixer, the DAW, etc. Additionally Soundgrid is a new player to the network audio hardware world and compatibly suffers greatly. I work on the leading edge and stay away from the bleeding edge.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 10:59:46 AM »

It could be used for transport. It lets you assign audio paths to whatever is hooked up to it and is SG compatible. It would probably work well with Avid desks.

It would however lock you into using Waves software and hardware for a lot of things and that will never be the "cost effective" choice.

Dante seems well on it's way to becoming an industry standard. You can interface almost anything with Dante, including little 2 channel problem-solving interfaces. To do that with soundgrid wouldn't be as easy.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 12:45:32 PM »

Seems valid. My reason for wanting to use soundgrid is that I need to run soundgrid between the FOH,MON and broadcast anyway for plugin processing.

The soundgrid driver does allow non waves hardware to be implemented into the network so not sure if that is just old information.

Was more looking at protocol level pitfalls I should be looking at. All my current hardware and future upgrade paths are SG compatible so not too worried about compatibility with hardware.

I would hardly consider SG bleeding edge have seen a few systems deployed for audio transport in studio complexes and it seems to work quite well.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

- Ivan Beaver

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 01:02:54 PM »

In the x-wsg docs it is shown that in native mode you can use multirack and that you also can record. No soundgrid hardware required.

I have pre-ordered one of those x-wsg cards but they are not in stock yet.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 01:10:10 PM »

Yeah just need to install the soundgrid software on pc. Let me know hoe it goes.

From what I've read it would alloe you to do the plugin processing as well as the transport simultaneously depending on how music group has worked out the firmware.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

- Ivan Beaver

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 01:39:56 PM »

In the x-wsg docs it is shown that in native mode you can use multirack and that you also can record. No soundgrid hardware required.

I have pre-ordered one of those x-wsg cards but they are not in stock yet.

It looks to me like the choice to use Soundgrid as your audio transport protocol would be very limiting unless you were utilizing a limited track count and possibly limit yourself to Waves plugins as your interfacing device within your DAW.

If your needs do not exceed these limitations then it should be fine.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 02:29:48 PM »

For me the m32 wouldn't be near the main console in use. Each device is limited to 128 channels but most manufactures only allow 64 bi directional. The waves network can handle 512 channels at 48kHz just like Dante and uses normal x86 processing and not FPGA processors just to give some background.

With the waves soundgrid driver installed on a pc you can access 128 channels into the DAW simultaneously, as I stated this is on the top end of my future predictions.

Latency isn't compromised with increased channel from what I've read either.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

- Ivan Beaver

Art Nadelman

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 02:32:19 PM »

You will find in this forum that you will get a lot of answers from people who don't use Soundgrid.  For a better answer, you should go the the Facebook Soundgrid Connection.  There you'll find expertise from lots of people who do what you're trying to do.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 02:32:19 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 20 queries.