ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How much Haze?  (Read 9030 times)

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
How much Haze?
« on: June 09, 2017, 02:32:18 AM »

I've been slowly building up the light show for our band and would like to get some more atmosphere on stage with us.
I might get a pair of moving lights next year, but for now I've got 6 X LED parcans and 2 X 4LED Tree's (all in one).
I've been mounting them in different places each gig, trying to find the best placement between shows.

We play shows of pretty much all sizes.
This would be only needed for indoor, nighttime shows.

The biggest room we're booked in for next month, seats about 600 people, all around a dance floor area.
This is by far the biggest room my system will be used in, generally crowds of <150 would be the usual (standing room, seated room maybe 80?).

I've read a heap of threads on hazer this week, maybe of them talked about filling the whole room.
How long did it take, where was the air-con, air-flow, etc.
All great info.

What I'm not sure of though, is why the full room needs to be in a haze.
Could just the stage and dancefloor be covered?

I'm pondering buying a unit, maybe the Z350, but not having used one before I'm trying to gather a bit of detail first.

For our show next month, I will likely hire a unit to get a feel of how they work, what they look like, etc.
My local hire shop has the Martin Magnum 2500 Hazer, which is about 2.5 times the cost of the Z350

Any recommendations?

Cheers,
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 08:39:46 AM by Callan Browne »
Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: How much Haze?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 08:16:23 AM »

I've been slowly building up the light show for our band and would like to get some kind of more atmosphere on stage with us.
I might get a pair of moving lights next year, but for now I've got 6 X LED parcans and 2 X 4LED Tree's (all in one).
I've been mounting them in different places each gig, trying to find the best placement between shows.

We play shows of pretty much all sizes.
This would be only needed for indoor, nighttime shows.

The biggest room we're booked in for next month, seats about 600 people, all around a dance floor area.
This is by far the biggest room my system will be used in, generally crowds of <150 would be the usual (standing room, seated room maybe 80?).

I've read a heap of threads on hazer this week, maybe of them talked about filling the whole room.
How long did it take, where was the air-con, air-flow, etc.
All great info.

What I'm not sure of though, is why the full room needs to be in a haze.
Could just the stage and dancefloor be covered?

I'm pondering buying a unit, maybe the Z350, but not having used one before I'm trying to gather a bit of detail first.

For our show next month, I will likely hire a unit to get a feel of how they work, what they look like, etc.
My local hire shop has the Martin Magnum 2500 Hazer, which is about 2.5 times the cost of the Z350

Any recommendations?

Cheers,
Air flow is the key.  I did an event in a 450 seat theater with 35' ceilings and a moderate backstage area.  During setup the air was effectively off and I was running about 8% output on my Chauvet AmHaze II with plenty of haze.  When they kicked the air conditioning on, that sucked the room out so fast I went to 100% output and I wished for more.

As to where the haze goes/is necessary, you don't really have much control over that.  Put the hazer by your lights, and if possible, get a fan to spread it around.  If there isn't much airflow in the room, eventually the whole room will fill up, since you can't really contain the haze.  If there's a lot of airflow, you'll be struggling just to keep the haze where the lights are and it will never reach the rest of the room.

I would strongly suggest getting the biggest hazer you can if you're playing in 600 seat rooms.

By the way, make sure you clear haze use with the venue.  Some systems are just fine, others are fairly sensitive and you WILL set off the fire alarm.

Get the biggest hazer you can.  You can always turn it down.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 08:18:30 AM by TJ (Tom) Cornish »

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 08:41:26 AM »

We have a mobile stage and primarily do outdoor shows. We have been through a dozen hazers and foggers and have always had issues. I purchased the Antari F7 Smaze unit http://www.elationlighting.com/f-7-smaze-arena-fog-faze-hybrid and use Froggy's Faze fluid. The built in fan makes all the difference. You can direct it where you need it. Obviously it is it bit more expensive then the units listed above but it keeps up even outdoors in all but the heaviest wind.
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 08:29:08 AM »

Thanks TJ and Steve.
Can anybody else let me know what happens when your haze/faze machine doesn't have enough rig for the gig?
Is it patchy, non existent, or .. ?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Ric Arnold

• Melbourne, Vic, Australia
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 11:24:21 PM »

Thanks TJ and Steve.
Can anybody else let me know what happens when your haze/faze machine doesn't have enough rig for the gig?

If you're inside and your haze is disappearing then it's due to the air flow of the heating/cooling system.
Visibly you'll see haze near your machine and then it will thin out as it gets further away, so it makes sense to have your machine near to your lights. As haze is moved by air ( if you have no air flow at all in a room then you have a different problem) patchy, thin or non existent places are likely regardless of the size of the room.
Cheers,
Ric
Live Theatre, Lighting, & Sound
Melbourne, Australia

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 08:10:27 AM »

On a fun note, here is an image from last weeks show that shows how well the haze is working outdoors. This is with the hazer set to about 25%.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19105657_727697414079941_825011417273841644_n.jpg?oh=4c7d593b81feecff09a333bf28d92e78&oe=59D90BFB
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 09:34:46 AM »

Thanks TJ and Steve.

An update - I looked at my "Haze Full" board preset and it wasn't actually full output - it was more like 15% output.  In the above room I mentioned, around 20% was more than enough to maintain, but still 5X what was needed before the AC went on.

This past week I was in a large gym 100' x 220'.  I needed about 30% to maintain haze, but was grateful to have 100% available (the real 100%, not the wrongly labeled board preset I had before) to fill quickly.

I very much agree that putting the haze where you want the beams makes a big difference. 

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 09:35:29 AM »

On a fun note, here is an image from last weeks show that shows how well the haze is working outdoors. This is with the hazer set to about 25%.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/19105657_727697414079941_825011417273841644_n.jpg?oh=4c7d593b81feecff09a333bf28d92e78&oe=59D90BFB

If I can get that look in a room like below, I'd be happy.
And really, only the stage and directly in front I need to cover, at least that's what I'm thinking.

Steve Garris

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 12:13:32 PM »

If I can get that look in a room like below, I'd be happy.
And really, only the stage and directly in front I need to cover, at least that's what I'm thinking.

The Z350 will be more than enough. I actually want one to replace a fog machine I use in a 250 seat room.

In that room you need a couple of tree's upstage, a couple of speaker mounted front wash, and some haze would make for a great looking show.

These are mostly cheap $35 Chinese lights, Par 38 incandescent front wash and a high-output fog machine running on a timer.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 08:51:48 PM »

I'm frustrated because everywhere we play, I can't use my machine. All our outdoor shows have been daylight - so no luck so far!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 08:51:48 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.