ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: The fifth wedge  (Read 7662 times)

John Roll

The fifth wedge
« on: June 08, 2017, 11:02:54 AM »

I'm currently providing a four way monitor mix for the bands I work with, which consists of 3 PRX612Ms and 1 PRX615. Occasionally, there has been a need for "the fifth wedge". This would be for sporadic use and would be placed in a non-critical path. I am looking for suggestions for a powered 12" cabinet. I don't want to shell out a lot of cash for this because of the frequency of use.I was thinking a JBL EON or an Alto TS212. Thoughts?

John
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

QSC, JBL, Presonus, Audix, K&M, EWI, Furman

Rob Gow

Re: The fifth wedge
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 11:19:58 AM »

I'd just get another PRX612M. Keep it simple

Stelios Mac

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 11:33:17 AM »

Got to agree, I'd go for another PRX612M.
Matching wedges, and you'll also have 4 identical speakers you could split up to two SOS systems.
Second-hand they shouldn't be too far-off from a TS212 price-wise, and honestly I'd expect them to sound better.

That being said, the Alto offerings get good reviews against the ZLX 12P they mainly compete against.
The powered ZLX boxes sound quite good for what they cost (AGES ahead of a similarly-priced Behringer box), if the Altos are as good or better than that they might just do the job.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 12:53:51 PM »

+1 on tracking down another 612M.  Way better to have matching gear than to have a mishmash.  That way, if one fails, you've got an instant backup ready to rock.
Brian Jojade

Steve Garris

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 01:53:49 PM »

I'm currently providing a four way monitor mix for the bands I work with, which consists of 3 PRX612Ms and 1 PRX615. Occasionally, there has been a need for "the fifth wedge". This would be for sporadic use and would be placed in a non-critical path. I am looking for suggestions for a powered 12" cabinet. I don't want to shell out a lot of cash for this because of the frequency of use.I was thinking a JBL EON or an Alto TS212. Thoughts?

John

You should have grabbed one of those PRX710's that were on sale for $400 last week!

If you budget is really tight, I would go the Alto. I'm hearing great things about those new, cheap boxes but haven't heard one myself. I would not expect it to be very durable though.

John Roll

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 02:01:43 PM »

+1 on tracking down another 612M.  Way better to have matching gear than to have a mishmash.  That way, if one fails, you've got an instant backup ready to rock.

I'll keep looking. There don't seem to be any out there....
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

John Roll

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 02:02:39 PM »

You should have grabbed one of those PRX710's that were on sale for $400 last week!

If you budget is really tight, I would go the Alto. I'm hearing great things about those new, cheap boxes but haven't heard one myself. I would not expect it to be very durable though.

It would have to be as the use will be minimal......
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

jesseweiss

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 03:37:00 PM »

I would look at the ZLX12 if you can't find a 612. It's a great speaker for the money.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

jesseweiss

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 03:38:00 PM »

FYI you can still get the 710 from Proaudiostar for 399 via the app. At least it still shows on the app.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 01:22:59 AM »

Guessing that the 5th wedge will be paralled with another.  So you definitely want to match the voicing.  I'm assuming that your 15 is the drum monitor.  Which is the one thing you might tolerate to sound different.

jesseweiss

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 06:42:42 AM »

I'll keep looking. There don't seem to be any out there....
There's a pair of them for sale on Reverb but for 1,100 which seems very high.

John Roll

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 08:08:46 AM »

Guessing that the 5th wedge will be paralled with another.  So you definitely want to match the voicing.  I'm assuming that your 15 is the drum monitor.  Which is the one thing you might tolerate to sound different.
No, it would be an entirely separate mix.
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

John Roll

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 09:42:08 AM »

FYI you can still get the 710 from Proaudiostar for 399 via the app. At least it still shows on the app.

Jesse,
Sweetwater is also offering the 710 for $399. Now it's a question of ," Do I need to do this?" Nobody has complained so far. I think that I might be just itching to buy something......
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 09:47:18 AM »

I think that I might be just itching to buy something......

Buy a microphone!
They're usually cheaper, easy to justify, and small enough to sneak in when nobody's looking.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 02:45:45 PM »

Jesse,
Sweetwater is also offering the 710 for $399. Now it's a question of ," Do I need to do this?" Nobody has complained so far. I think that I might be just itching to buy something......

There will come a time when you need that 5th wedge (and probably sooner than you think). 
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2017, 03:28:45 PM »

I agree with the majority that you should keep all your monitors the same boxes.
My most common set up is six 12" wedges and a 15" for the drummer.
I purchased six new FBT Verve 12" coaxial monitors and one of the 15" models.
FBT discontinued this series which made me think, if one fails and is not repairable, what are my options?
I wouldn't want to have to sell off the other five and buy a lot of six new monitors. I kept an eye out and bought 2 used monitors in very good condition and at half the price I paid for the new ones. I am now safeguarded in case of a failure and I have 8 matching wedges if I ever do need that many.

jesseweiss

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2017, 05:40:19 PM »

Jesse,
Why did you tell me that? My Sweetwater card always seems to call to me! I just bought 2 DBR10's a few months ago.

Don't know what the 710's would be for, but such a good deal. Right now I have the DBR's and a ZLX12 for monitors, with Mackie SRM stuff for mains.

Hmmmm.... Would a switch to a PRX system be worth it?????

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 06:24:28 PM »

Sounds like you need to find a GASanon meeting..
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

jesseweiss

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2017, 06:36:35 PM »

Jesse,
Why did you tell me that? My Sweetwater card always seems to call to me! I just bought 2 DBR10's a few months ago.

Don't know what the 710's would be for, but such a good deal. Right now I have the DBR's and a ZLX12 for monitors, with Mackie SRM stuff for mains.

Paul Kerber

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2017, 04:28:19 PM »

Prx710 - nice little box but doesn't have a monitor angle position

Thomas Le

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2017, 11:26:58 PM »

Hmmmm.... Would a switch to a PRX system be worth it? ??? ?

If it matters, the wood has better bass response compared to molded plastic. PRX is a step up from DBR & ZLX. No experience with the Mackie stuff given the failure track record around here.

Prx710 - nice little box but doesn't have a monitor angle position

Yeah it would be a very versatile box if JBL factored in the design... A workaround is to use a DI or "2x4" to prop it up.

jesseweiss

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2017, 10:33:43 AM »

If it matters, the wood has better bass response compared to molded plastic. PRX is a step up from DBR & ZLX. No experience with the Mackie stuff given the failure track record around here.

Yeah it would be a very versatile box if JBL factored in the design... A workaround is to use a DI or "2x4" to prop it up.

The PRX would replace the Mackie's (which are also wood) for FOH, so that's really what I'm trying to figure out.  I only paid $400 used for each SRM550 2 years ago, so wouldn't take much of a hit if I sold them (and for 2 years use even $100 each was worthwhile).

John Roll

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2017, 09:55:25 AM »

Your card must've been talking to my card. I sprung for the 710. Should arrive tomorrow.
John Roll
JMR Pro Audio

jesseweiss

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 10:04:21 AM »

Your card must've been talking to my card. I sprung for the 710. Should arrive tomorrow.

Arrrgh!  I've still held off, but am really leaning towards it.  I've heard the PRX's before but can't A/B with my SRM's (other than buying and possibly returning).

Selling the Mackie's (or using them as monitors when I need more of the band in them) is a possibility.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 10:04:21 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.