ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: help needed  (Read 8052 times)

EMILIANO ECHEVERRIA ZAPATA

help needed
« on: June 06, 2017, 02:10:01 PM »

so im in charge of soud ystem at church and now very little of it, and i have no skilled people in this here little town, we are the biggest church with 400 members.
so i always find myself not satisfied with the soud quality of or system.
and we just finished some remodeling to the church, we removed celing paneling, platform walls and rear walls.
so the building its larger and taller, platfornm or stage its bigger.
and the sound changed drastically.
now the monitors over power the main speakers. and if i turn the monitors down we cant hear ourselfs i play guitar aswell.

i ran a phone app the other day its an RTA iphone app and acording to the app the frecuency curve in the church,
its to much low and low-mids. seems like a high cut from 500 and up.

i boosted the highs all the way up and cut all the way down from 500 all the way to 40hz in the 30band eq. just to look what it would do but its still not enough the lows and low-mids are still there the highs did go up a bit.

can any one help me send me links to look in to for speaker placement, acoutic treatment, building acoustics etc.

ps. i live in a little town in mexico so i have no access to companies for acoustic treatment i will have to DIY it.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: help needed
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 02:27:04 PM »

so im in charge of soud ystem at church and now very little of it, and i have no skilled people in this here little town, we are the biggest church with 400 members.

so i always find myself not satisfied with the soud quality of or system.

and we just finished some remodeling to the church, we removed celing paneling, platform walls and rear walls.
so the building its larger and taller, platfornm or stage its bigger.
and the sound changed drastically.

now the monitors over power the main speakers.
and if i turn the monitors down we cant hear ourselfs i play guitar aswell.

i ran a phone app the other day its an RTA iphone app and acording to the app the frecuency curve in the church,
its to much low and low-mids. seems like a high cut from 500 and up.

i boosted the highs all the way up and cut all the way down from 500 all the way to 40hz in the 30band eq. just to look what it would do but its still not enough the lows and low-mids are still there the highs did go up a bit.

can any one help me send me links to look in to for speaker placement, acoutic treatment, building acoustics etc.

ps. i live in a little town in mexico so i have no access to companies for acoustic treatment i will have to DIY it.

To start, welcome!

Second, can we get some pics of the space! :)

Third, you've come to the right place! Here's a starting point for you.

Fourth, basic speaker placement/aiming goes as follows.

-Each speaker covers a specific area and doesn't cover any other area.
-Speakers should be high and tilted down, a good starting point is aim the center at the back of the crowd
-subs generally should be clustered together either Left Center Right

Fifth, Acoustic treatment will help. Along with diffusion.

-Diffusors can be created via Sonotube and painting them.
-Absorption can be created with fabric, Rockwool, and wood.

[NOTE: this a brief overview, there are different BETTER methods and I have simplified and made assumptions. This does not replace a LOT of system design work, but merely is a quick starting point and to give OP an idea of what to do/where to start learning]

I would first ensure each part of the sound system is working correctly. Go through each monitor and main speaker by itself and ensure it is working. Play some pink noise and mute each one and check on your RTA app and ensure the response looks somewhat flat (rolling off at the LF (100Hz)/HF(12kHz) is fine).

After that position each speaker optimally so the speaker/monitor is hitting the intended person/area correctly. Do this individually playing pink noise and walk the pattern for where it sounds most full (most frequencies in the pattern). Then use the GEQ/PEQ to get the speakers to look flatish on the RTA (remaining on each individual speaker).
Don't boost any frequencies just cut any peaks.

Play some music and make sure you like the way it sounds starting with your EQ.

That's a gist, using what you have to get what you want sounding/working. It wont fix everything but it might start you off in a better place.

First thing is ensure your equipment is working properly. Then continue from there.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 03:03:35 PM »

Any such room will have standing waves at frequencies evenly divisable into the physical dimensions, mostly (but not limited to) between parallel surfaces.  EQ CANNOT CHANGE THIS.

As mentioned above, orienting your speakers properly and adding diffusers to break up any large, flat surfaces will yield the most improvement for the least investment.

More information is good:  pictures of the room, room dimensions, brand/type/location of loudspeakers, etc.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 03:35:59 PM »

Not to speak against anyone but by his own statement there is a low mid buildup in the room.

You can point speakers and apply diffusion until you blue and still to absolutely nothing to solve this problem, a standing wave has lobes and nulls, this is more a resonant cavity, the best way to decrease the Q(and intensity) of a resonant cavity is fill it with stuff.

The secret is to fill it with stuff near the edges where the pressure is quite high.

Look into membrane absorbers/panel absorbers. Will give you what you are looking for. After that the rockwool/fiberglass panels for absorption will help the problem even more.

You need to give us more information, what size(physical dimensions) is your room?

What materials are on the walls floors and ceiling?

Very often since good acoustic drapes could be all you need and will make a significant improvement to vocal intelligibility.

What source material are you putting through the speakers?

At what SPL are you running? (Please answer with weighting and averaging included in your answer)

What speakers do you have?

Have you got a live band?

What type of music does this band play?
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 03:58:29 PM »

Are the speakers working correctly.  If you run a test tone from the phone into the mixer and send out 400 hz.  do the speakers work equally.  Then try 5,000 hz this should be the horns.  Dont turn up really loud and dont leave it running long times.  less than 3 minutes should be good to walk and see if all the speakers working correct.  If horns are not working you may need some repair, or replace.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 04:10:23 PM »

Not to speak against anyone but by his own statement there is a low mid buildup in the room.

You can point speakers and apply diffusion until you blue and still to absolutely nothing to solve this problem, a standing wave has lobes and nulls, this is more a resonant cavity, the best way to decrease the Q(and intensity) of a resonant cavity is fill it with stuff.

I think your reply might be referencing my post. And I agree, my perspective was: "what can Emiliano do immediately to help his sound" and address his speaker positioning question, not the acoustical treatment question.

He can't build and work on acoustic treatment immediately. Also, IMO he needs to learn about the sound system and how it is setup and ensure it is working properly before working on the room. Rooms you can't easily fix, but you can setup the sound system well enough to get by until you can.

You & others are the expert in the acoustics regard/aspect, whereas I am simply learning/repeating what others have said/done, so I leave that part in y'all's hands :)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 04:39:05 PM »

His problem could not be acoustics at all TBH, with the limited information we've been given all his horns could be blown(although I doubt they crossover at 500Hz)

Until we have more information its purely speculation
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 06:44:01 PM »

His problem could not be acoustics at all TBH, with the limited information we've been given all his horns could be blown(although I doubt they crossover at 500Hz)

Until we have more information its purely speculation

I'll take pictures and give you dimensions tomorrow. For I need all the help I can get
Thanks you all see y'all tomorrow

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 02:15:04 AM »

I'll take pictures and give you dimensions tomorrow. For I need all the help I can get

Here's a link to the pics and a video
https://mega.nz/#F!WgVC2BhR!3w7lBcuX8E_2-_qPK3Y93A

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 02:21:57 AM »

More pics
https://mega.nz/#F!WgVC2BhR!3w7lBcuX8E_2-_qPK3Y93A

So the building mesures
10 meters wide
30 meters deep
4.64 meters high

Celing it's sheet metal, the construction al concrete and a walk of windows

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 02:21:57 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.