ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Volume Control  (Read 12913 times)

Daniel Levi

Re: Wireless Volume Control
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2017, 10:11:39 AM »

The only thing I can think of is using either wireless MIDI with a single knob controller (if it exists) or a knob connected so some sort of microcontroller with a zigbee or similar radio interface and a receiver with a VCA for level control.
Sent from my Lumia 625 using Tapatalk

Steve Moland

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2017, 10:26:23 AM »

At this point you may need to look at hiring someone to operate the system when your out in the crowd doing the roving interviews,
someone qualified who will be paying attention.

I would set it up so the operator is listening to your mic via PFL with head phones while both of the mics are turned down in the system, you give them the heads up of an upcoming interview, then do a count down 5 4 3 2 1, they fade the music and bring up the wireless mics. That kind of thing is done in broadcast all the time.

I do have events where I hire some set up help, one in particular who is a great operator who has worked events with me and others for almost 20 years. He is generally ahead of my needs and those of the situation because he doesn't have to be distracted by a speaking role as as I do.

Since we are almost always dealing with amateurs on the mics he is real good at tweaking the squeakiness out of female or timid voices who are not projecting without yelling. 

However, most of the time, I'm on my own.

This thread has already gotten me to realize how I would design a device. The little control unit I would wear would not only have a rolling volume control for the music, but also 3 little click [for tactile feedback] on/off buttons for
1) the music.
2) my head mic
3) the handheld wireless mic in my pocket to hand to someone.

This way I wouldn't have move my hand to my belt pack to mute my mic or scramble so quickly to grab and mute the handheld mic before the one holding it forgets it's still live. Having a Mayor who just spoke turn to his aid and say "OK, let's get the hell out of here." doesn't play well. :)   I can't always be available to grab the live mic from a user because I'm often at the start line starting to speak myself immediately after the last of the VIPs speak.

All sorts of anxious moments will go away with what I'm looking for.
Steve Moland
Announcers/Emcee and sound systems
Endurance Sports Event Announcing & Management
Road Races  -Triathlons
Adventure Races - Open Water Swims

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 10:42:14 AM »

This thread has already gotten me to realize how I would design a device. The little control unit I would wear would not only have a rolling volume control for the music, but also 3 little click [for tactile feedback] on/off buttons for
1) the music.
2) my head mic

This way I wouldn't have move my hand to my belt pack to mute my mic or scramble so quickly to grab and mute the handheld mic before the one holding it forgets it's still live. Having a Mayor who just spoke turn to his aid and say "OK, let's get the hell out of here." doesn't play well. :)   I can't always be available to grab the live mic from a user because I'm often at the start line starting to speak myself immediately after the last of the VIPs speak.

With that idea your back to a digital mixer or a DSP  and re-calling presets remotely.

Steve Moland

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 10:43:45 AM »

The only thing I can think of is using either wireless MIDI with a single knob controller (if it exists) or a knob connected so some sort of microcontroller with a zigbee or similar radio interface and a receiver with a VCA for level control.

Never heard of zigbee but after some quick checking just now I see lots of potential. Searching on zigbee brings in references to all sorts of slick "control" devices, parts and ideas.

Fortunately, the way I'd be mixing my music it will already be boosted for the feed into my power amps. A simple VCA would be perfect for the attenuation function I need to turn down or stop the music volume feed.
Steve Moland
Road Races  -Triathlons

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 11:09:53 AM »

1) the music.
2) my head mic

Steve, you might be able to modify some of the Rapco "Blox" that have already be mentioned to do what you need.  Some models have a volume pot and a switch already installed.  It might require some gutting and rebuilding, but they could be small and rugged starting points for a passive personal control system.

Steve Moland

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2017, 11:14:35 AM »

With that idea your back to a digital mixer or a DSP  and re-calling presets remotely.

You may be correct in what you say, but I'm dealing with a totally amateur cast of script writers and time line choreographers at road races who change up things on the fly because they have to. A "preset" that works during those "I'll know what to do ONLY when presented with the situation" is by definition not something I could live with.

When the present works I almost don't need it. I'm sure this sounds strange but you'd have to be there with me.

Steve Moland
Road Races  -Triathlons

Steve Moland

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2017, 11:18:38 AM »

Steve, you might be able to modify some of the Rapco "Blox" that have already be mentioned to do what you need.  Some models have a volume pot and a switch already installed.  It might require some gutting and rebuilding, but they could be small and rugged starting points for a passive personal control system.

Thanks Don. I looked at the Blox specs quickly last night before I arrived at the "I may have to do my own wiring." place I am now. I'll revisit the Blox.
Steve Moland
Road Races  -Triathlons

Rick Earl

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 12:06:31 PM »

I need a wireless [non IR] volume control to place between my mixer and my power amp rack. I've been unable to find what I need.

Here is the context of the venue when I need it. 

I provide all the sound reinforcement gear when I'm the announcer/emcee for outdoor events, mostly road races and triathlons. Except for a few events I have no one at my mixer controlling the music volume while I'm out roving the venue using a wireless headset and belt pack worm behind my head inside my shirt collar. I get plenty of range because I mount my wireless receiver on an 8 foot stand that is above everyone's head height. IE. No bodies to get in the way to eat the wireless signal.

Given the 200-300' range I get, running back to the mixer when I need the music turned down is visually non-professional, especially when I'm interviewing people.

Sometimes I need only the music turned down and I realize what I'm asking for would turn down both voice and music but I operate with my voice volume always turned higher and just move my little mouth boom mic away or back in to control the level. Worse case I could also just feed the controlled music volume into a 2nd mini mixer and add my mic input at that point

Steve in NH

What if you look for a mechanical solution instead of an audio solution?  Maybe look on a RC Hobby Forum and find someone that could wire up a servo to a volume pot.  You then could carry a remote RC controller as a volume control.   Wired correctly you could add some laptop control too.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2017, 12:10:54 PM »

Why not just use a Ducker which automatically lowers the music volume when you speak?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Steve Moland

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 12:57:39 PM »

Why not just use a Ducker which automatically lowers the music volume when you speak?

I've used a ducking system and it's not really conducive to an outdoor endurance sport environment.  Read "Not really conducive" as it's very annoying for both me and the crowd.

Duckers make me the slave to how they work and but when i'm involved in being engaging and interactive with the crowd, I need to set the rules and I may decide to break them at will or necessity.
Steve Moland
Road Races  -Triathlons

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2017, 12:57:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.