ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD player recommendation  (Read 6241 times)

Jon Roelfs

DVD player recommendation
« on: June 04, 2017, 11:54:15 PM »

I'm looking for a DVD player that outputs a 1080p video signal from the component outputs and stereo analog audio. Can you still get such an old piece of tech? We use this on an older rear projection tv. Component is the highest quality input connection the tv supports. Upgrading to a newer tv is not an option. We used the DVD player about once a month so consumer grade gear will be fine for this.

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Re: DVD player recommendation
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 06:33:30 AM »

Got to a retailer and buy one, I'm pretty sure you will be able to get one.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 07:04:36 AM »

I'm looking for a DVD player that outputs a 1080p video signal from the component outputs and stereo analog audio. Can you still get such an old piece of tech? We use this on an older rear projection tv. Component is the highest quality input connection the tv supports. Upgrading to a newer tv is not an option. We used the DVD player about once a month so consumer grade gear will be fine for this.
i think the HD over analog window closed about 10 years ago. I have a Sony XBR CRT TV from 2001 that takes some form of HD signal over component (not full 1080p), but doing that required an $800 HDTV tuner that was obsolete 10 years ago.

Keep in mind that DVDs were never close to 1080p resolution anyway.

A PlayStation 3 might be your best bet.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 07:15:57 AM »

Upgrading the TV is the real answer, plus will greatly increase brightness and image quality.  Prices on TV's have dropped so much it's crazy. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 10:06:57 AM »

Why a 1080p signal?  DVD isn't a 1080p format.  It's 480p.  Anything that's giving you 1080 output is just upscaling.  Just buy the cheapest DVD player that meets your connection requirements.  Probably buy 2 for one the first one breaks...

If you really do need 1080p then get an external scaler that will work on analog signals.

As others have alluded, a new TV with HDMI and a blu-ray player is going to be the best solution.

You could also just get a blu-ray player, send it's HDMI signal to any number of devices that will strip the HDCP and convert to SDI then convert back to analog with another device and go into your TV.  Your TV will take a 1080p signal via the component inputs right?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 10:06:57 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.