ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Console Connectivity (QL1 vs GLD 80)  (Read 8777 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Console Connectivity (QL1 vs GLD 80)
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 09:22:15 AM »

Whoops, my bad.  I didn't realize they added the second slot vs. the Ls9-16.  Thanks for the correction. 

thomas d.
Yamaha is still using the Mini-YGDAI cards that date all the way back to the 01v96 released in 2003, and in 8 channel form that date back to the late '90's (original silver 01v).  Whether that is a good thing or not depends on your perspective.  Dante seems to be the "one protocol to rule them all", which greatly reduces the need for other I/O.  The card slots made more sense when we were trying to juggle AES/ADAT/SpDif/T-Dif/Analog/Ethersound. 

Matthias McCready

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 10:37:49 AM »

With the GLD-80, you'll need either an M-waves card or a Dante/MADI card with either a MGB or MGO box. I have the M-waves card and a Server One. Pretty powerful setup for my multi act gigs. I might be wanting a Server Extreme if I was touring with it and stacking plugins. With only 1 AES out on the desk itself, it makes it a less desirable desk to tour with in my opinion.

One thing that I'm starting to think about now is how to create a digital split to a monitor desk when my only card slot is taken by a waves card. It seems my options are to be tied to using an Allen Heath desk for monitors and share gains from the monitor desk or now that there is a card coming out for the X/M32 it seems using Soundgrid Connect may be an option for a split to one of those. Not sure if Connect is available except in Native at this point.
Also if you get a Waves card, you have a pretty portable Waves setup that can now only be used in a desk with the waves card when plenty of desk have MADI or Dante out cards.

This is good to know. Thanks for the input.

If I understand your setup correctly it is M-card connected to a server one which does the processing power and then this is connected to a computer which runs waves? Sorry just trying to understand, I am new to all of this  :)

While Dante seems like it would have more options in the long run would it be safe to assume the waves would be quicker, cheaper, easier, and more stable for the needs of running plugins and multitracking?  Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks, Matthias
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 10:40:36 AM »

You don't have to get a RiO you could get a TiO.  Significantly less expensive.  Typical street price around $1,000 for 16x8.

Lee

I am aware, my friend is more interested in the Rio (for the long run) which would mean getting a good price on a QL1 now and being limited on channels or getting a TiO meanwhile. My only frustration, correct me if I am wrong, is that by the time a QL-1 has 3x RiO stage boxes that is about the price to get into a Dlive C-Class, which would be a fun console to look into. Personally I think the GLD 80 might be best route, but depends on sound and connectivity. I shall see.

Thanks,
Matthias

Matthias McCready

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 10:44:16 AM »

Also keep in mind that Yamaha cards are limited to 16x16, where the A&H cards can do 64x64.

I work on both consoles regularly and would prefer the A&H any time that the slightly larger foot print isn't a concern.  I looked into putting the A&H into a fly package and it's just barely too big to do without getting hit with oversized baggage fees.  The sound quality of both is very good wouldn't be a deciding consideration to me.  What I like about the A&H are the workflow, especially because you can change the two fader banks independently.  I think the way you set up the custom banks on the A&H is slightly easier. 

The simple plug and play I/O on the A&H is a blessing and a curse.  It's great because there is zero setup and it really is idiot proof.  The downside of that there are very few options for how to lay out the boxes.  On the flip side with Yamaha the Dante boxes are super flexible and there is a huge variety of Dante enabled devices that you can use.   However you really need to understand networking for it to be reliable and there is a lot of additional packaging that you'll need, like patch panels to adapt rj45 to ethercon.

Last, +1 on the Tio vs. Rio.  I use both all the time and there is no compelling reason to get a Rio for a Cl/Ql console.

thomas d.

Is it still true that Yamaha can only do 16x16 over dante? i was under the impression this had changed with the QL/CL lines, but I could totally be wrong. I am going to look into this.

Thanks for the comparison between the A&H and the Yamaha. Good to know about the TiO and RiO also.
Thanks,
Matthias

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Console Connectivity (QL1 vs GLD 80)
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2017, 12:59:56 PM »

Is it still true that Yamaha can only do 16x16 over dante? i was under the impression this had changed with the QL/CL lines, but I could totally be wrong. I am going to look into this.

Thanks for the comparison between the A&H and the Yamaha. Good to know about the TiO and RiO also.
Thanks,
Matthias
Using the Dante card slot (not at all needed on the QL series) yes. The QL1 does 32/32 over Dante where the QL5 does 64/64 via the onboard (native) Dante chipset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Mark Amber

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2017, 01:46:32 PM »

I use both consoles regularly.

The Allen Heath has two banks of faders which makes monitor mixing easier. It also allows for more flexible channel strip arrangements due to this and the few extra faders.

The single card slot is a bit of a let down though. Although Dante can do so much it is not a big deal. Except waves... If that's a big deal to you. Dante integration on the Yamaha is very impressive.

FWIW I prefer the Yamaha but I own and use Allen and Heath because of the cost. The CL1 would be a quicker pick over a GLD too but it's even more expensive.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Wichak Chanmuang

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2017, 03:41:23 PM »

If you can go a little bit more budget than QL1, you are about to start at Allen-Heath's smallest model of "dlive C class C1500 + CDM32 ...  it have 2 slots of optional cards. You can add a Dante card for both monitor splitting and multitrack recording at the same time (64 ch.)

With dlive, I recommend you try their 16 effect engines and all processors they have, you may not need Wave plugin card anymore.  But if you do, there's a slot at the surface, you can add Wave Card later.

And if you are serious about the sound quality, it's already beyond the CL5. 

Pay around twice of GLD budget, and you will stop thinking about upgrade your mixer in the next 5 year.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2017, 06:21:34 PM »

Quick forum-related question for users:

Are you guys seeing all the posts in this thread?  The index page shows only 9 replies (including this post) but there are 16 so far (Wichak is #16).  There is still some forum SQL database funniness going on that is causing the admins a lot of head scratching....
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 06:37:58 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Matthias McCready

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2017, 11:02:35 PM »

No not seeing the posts, noticed them in the replies though  :)

Thanks for all the input. I think we are going to go for a GLD 80. I had not realized before that the QL-1 was limited to 16 channels a card slot. While dante is cool I am thinking waves should effectively meet all of the needs. The Ql-1 is simply in a different price range and agreed it is pretty close to D-live territory.

Also thanks to TJ for showing his console and sweet rig.

Thanks,
Matthias McCready

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2017, 11:26:06 PM »

No not seeing the posts, noticed them in the replies though  :)

Thanks for all the input. I think we are going to go for a GLD 80. I had not realized before that the QL-1 was limited to 16 channels a card slot. While dante is cool I am thinking waves should effectively meet all of the needs. The Ql-1 is simply in a different price range and agreed it is pretty close to D-live territory.

Also thanks to TJ for showing his console and sweet rig.

Thanks,
Matthias McCready

I think you will like the GLD. I do.

FYI, I use 2 Dante cards in my LS9-32 to get 32x32. Works fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2017, 11:26:06 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.