ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Console Connectivity (QL1 vs GLD 80)  (Read 8818 times)

Matthias McCready

Console Connectivity (QL1 vs GLD 80)
« on: June 01, 2017, 06:00:39 PM »

So a friend and I are looking into getting a console. Its uses will be for smaller shows, but also for a smattering of events and recording down the road. The primary consoles we are looking at are the Allen & Heath GLD 80 and the Yamaha QL-1. Sound quality and connectivity are the most important factors.

My friend is a really big QL 1 fan, as it comes with Dante and has 2 additional card slots. Of course the QL 1 is a quite a bit more expensive, especially once you get into the RIO stage boxes, than the GLD.

The price on GLD 80 is much more attractive and it looks to have a better work flow, but it only has 1 card slot.

Question 1: How do the Yamaha QL-1 and the GLD 80 stack up sound wise? If you were recording would you prefer one over the other?

Question 2: While the Yamaha comes with Dante and can work easily with waves the A&H only has one card slot. What are the options? We would like to be able to use waves and to do multi track recording into a DAW, with virtual soundcheck. What card and system works best for these? Dante or Waves with Sound Grid? Something else? Would prefer an option which is stable and cost effective.

Thanks,
Matthias
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Console Connectivity (QL1 vs GLD 80)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 06:53:18 PM »

I have 2 GLD80s and I put the Dante card in the slot. Dante is just a super flexible interconnect. I have Dante cards in my LS9-32 also.
I can send direct outs from any of them to another or to my Macbook to record.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Matthias McCready

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 07:30:41 PM »

I have 2 GLD80s and I put the Dante card in the slot. Dante is just a super flexible interconnect. I have Dante cards in my LS9-32 also.
I can send direct outs from any of them to another or to my Macbook to record.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but can you run waves plugins over Dante? If so how is the latency?

Thanks,
Matthias
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 07:45:17 PM »

Sorry if this is a silly question, but can you run waves plugins over Dante? If so how is the latency?

Thanks,
Matthias

Dante is pretty quick. I would be concerned about the Waves server myself though I know nothing about waves.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 09:12:58 PM »

Dante is pretty quick. I would be concerned about the Waves server myself though I know nothing about waves.

Waves server can't talk Dante direct.  You have to get a Wavesgrid I/O for that.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jon Ross

• Virginia
    • RoTech Sound
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 10:45:31 PM »

With the GLD-80, you'll need either an M-waves card or a Dante/MADI card with either a MGB or MGO box. I have the M-waves card and a Server One. Pretty powerful setup for my multi act gigs. I might be wanting a Server Extreme if I was touring with it and stacking plugins. With only 1 AES out on the desk itself, it makes it a less desirable desk to tour with in my opinion.

One thing that I'm starting to think about now is how to create a digital split to a monitor desk when my only card slot is taken by a waves card. It seems my options are to be tied to using an Allen Heath desk for monitors and share gains from the monitor desk or now that there is a card coming out for the X/M32 it seems using Soundgrid Connect may be an option for a split to one of those. Not sure if Connect is available except in Native at this point.
Also if you get a Waves card, you have a pretty portable Waves setup that can now only be used in a desk with the waves card when plenty of desk have MADI or Dante out cards.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 07:36:35 AM »

So a friend and I are looking into getting a console. Its uses will be for smaller shows, but also for a smattering of events and recording down the road. The primary consoles we are looking at are the Allen & Heath GLD 80 and the Yamaha QL-1. Sound quality and connectivity are the most important factors.

My friend is a really big QL 1 fan, as it comes with Dante and has 2 additional card slots. Of course the QL 1 is a quite a bit more expensive, especially once you get into the RIO stage boxes, than the GLD.

The price on GLD 80 is much more attractive and it looks to have a better work flow, but it only has 1 card slot.

Question 1: How do the Yamaha QL-1 and the GLD 80 stack up sound wise? If you were recording would you prefer one over the other?

Question 2: While the Yamaha comes with Dante and can work easily with waves the A&H only has one card slot. What are the options? We would like to be able to use waves and to do multi track recording into a DAW, with virtual soundcheck. What card and system works best for these? Dante or Waves with Sound Grid? Something else? Would prefer an option which is stable and cost effective.

Thanks,
Matthias

You don't have to get a RiO you could get a TiO.  Significantly less expensive.  Typical street price around $1,000 for 16x8.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Thomas Dameron

• SR Forums
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 08:32:04 AM »

First off, the Ql-1 only has one expansion slot, but the larger Ql-5 has two.  Also keep in mind that Yamaha cards are limited to 16x16, where the A&H cards can do 64x64.

I work on both consoles regularly and would prefer the A&H any time that the slightly larger foot print isn't a concern.  I looked into putting the A&H into a fly package and it's just barely too big to do without getting hit with oversized baggage fees.  The sound quality of both is very good wouldn't be a deciding consideration to me.  What I like about the A&H are the workflow, especially because you can change the two fader banks independently.  I think the way you set up the custom banks on the A&H is slightly easier. 

The simple plug and play I/O on the A&H is a blessing and a curse.  It's great because there is zero setup and it really is idiot proof.  The downside of that there are very few options for how to lay out the boxes.  On the flip side with Yamaha the Dante boxes are super flexible and there is a huge variety of Dante enabled devices that you can use.   However you really need to understand networking for it to be reliable and there is a lot of additional packaging that you'll need, like patch panels to adapt rj45 to ethercon.

Last, +1 on the Tio vs. Rio.  I use both all the time and there is no compelling reason to get a Rio for a Cl/Ql console.

thomas d.

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 08:56:12 AM »

QL-1 has two card expansion slots.

First off, the Ql-1 only has one expansion slot, but the larger Ql-5 has two.  Also keep in mind that Yamaha cards are limited to 16x16, where the A&H cards can do 64x64.

I work on both consoles regularly and would prefer the A&H any time that the slightly larger foot print isn't a concern.  I looked into putting the A&H into a fly package and it's just barely too big to do without getting hit with oversized baggage fees.  The sound quality of both is very good wouldn't be a deciding consideration to me.  What I like about the A&H are the workflow, especially because you can change the two fader banks independently.  I think the way you set up the custom banks on the A&H is slightly easier. 

The simple plug and play I/O on the A&H is a blessing and a curse.  It's great because there is zero setup and it really is idiot proof.  The downside of that there are very few options for how to lay out the boxes.  On the flip side with Yamaha the Dante boxes are super flexible and there is a huge variety of Dante enabled devices that you can use.   However you really need to understand networking for it to be reliable and there is a lot of additional packaging that you'll need, like patch panels to adapt rj45 to ethercon.

Last, +1 on the Tio vs. Rio.  I use both all the time and there is no compelling reason to get a Rio for a Cl/Ql console.

thomas d.
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Thomas Dameron

• SR Forums
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 09:01:28 AM »

Whoops, my bad.  I didn't realize they added the second slot vs. the Ls9-16.  Thanks for the correction. 

thomas d.

QL-1 has two card expansion slots.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 09:01:28 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.