ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Si Impact vs. X32 for volunteer operators  (Read 13471 times)

Tim Barber

• Eastern Washington State
Re: Si Impact vs. X32 for volunteer operators
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2017, 12:39:04 PM »

I would also highly recommend looking at a Qu-32 in this price range. I find the A&H interface to be more intuitive, especially for those coming from analog consoles.

Good point. I have had a chance to play with a Qu-32 and had eliminated it for an odd reason: the audible sound of the faders snapping to position is loud enough to be distracting at quiet points in the service. It sounded like someone doing a drum fill with knitting needles on a tabletop :)

Tim Barber

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2017, 12:41:57 PM »

Good thoughts all. You may be swaying me to the B-side.

I noticed Sweetwater is bundling the M32r + DL16 for $3900. That would be a budget stretch but if the head amps and better faders vs X32 are enough of an upgrade, I'd be willing to go to bat for it with the committee.

Kyle Waters

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2017, 11:29:35 PM »

Not a big fan of the layout and input routing abilities of the x32. (I'm use to Yamaha) Since your crew sounds like they will be new to digital anyways, that's a moot point, you'll learn to work with what you have.  The x32 is super simple to operate, and like someone else already said, the online learning support is second to none. I vote x32   

Tim Barber

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 11:29:05 AM »

I think Si is out of the running at this point. So it's down to full X32 vs. M32R. Any additional thoughts? I'm not asking for the decision to be made for me, but having never mixed on either board your experience is valuable.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 11:33:31 AM »

The only person that can tel the difference between the M and the X is the person behind the console.

If that is worth the extra money to you, then go ahead. Personally I've had more reliability out of the x32's I've owned. I know I'm a small sampling, but its been enough to convince me that the M isn't worth the price premium.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Barber

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 03:37:55 PM »

Welp, I just pulled the trigger on an X32 and DL16 from Mike Pyle at AudioPyle. Can't wait to start playing around with the new toys/join the 21st century!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 07:00:51 PM by Tim Barber »

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2017, 05:04:08 AM »

IMO Soundcraft is not user friendly, but I have net seen the model you mention.  I find (and sell more of)  Allen & Heath and the end users seem to pick up on the operations pretty quickly.

Have you checked out their Qu series?

I haven't used the QU but I have used X32 and Si.  However, of the digital mixers in this price bracket, the QU looks to be the most intuitive to use with a fader for every channel and a single button press for most functions.

There are some features I like on the X32 which are not on the Si and some Si features I like which are not on the X32.  It comes down to experience and getting used to it as neither can be said to be better, but the QU looks like it would be easier to get the hang of if you have never used a digital mixer before.

Steve.

John Chiara

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2017, 11:02:57 AM »

I haven't used the QU but I have used X32 and Si.  However, of the digital mixers in this price bracket, the QU looks to be the most intuitive to use with a fader for every channel and a single button press for most functions.

There are some features I like on the X32 which are not on the Si and some Si features I like which are not on the X32.  It comes down to experience and getting used to it as neither can be said to be better, but the QU looks like it would be easier to get the hang of if you have never used a digital mixer before.

Steve.
For me the problem with the QU is the same as the iPad apps for Mackie or the X Air series...the right hand column of buttons that assign which mix the faders affect. SO many times I will find myself adjusting a bus send instead of a FOH fader. Really don't like that kind of setup. YMMV

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2017, 12:52:44 PM »

Really don't like that kind of setup. YMMV

As I said, I have no experience of it.  Just what I have read and reports from a couple of people who have used them, so I have no mileage to vary.

Actual experience always trumps speculation!

SO many times I will find myself adjusting a bus send instead of a FOH fader.

The first time I used a Soundcraft Si, I was doing monitors on stage whilst someone else mixed FOH on an iPad.  Quite a few times I moved a fader only to see it move back to its original position.  This was a sign that I hadn't selected the bus I wanted to adjust!

Steve.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:55:52 PM by Steve M Smith »

John Chiara

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 10:22:01 PM »

As I said, I have no experience of it.  Just what I have read and reports from a couple of people who have used them, so I have no mileage to vary.

Actual experience always trumps speculation!

The first time I used a Soundcraft Si, I was doing monitors on stage whilst someone else mixed FOH on an iPad.  Quite a few times I moved a fader only to see it move back to its original position.  This was a sign that I hadn't selected the bus I wanted to adjust!

Steve.

Right! And this will never happen on an X32 unless 'sends on faders' is selected...and an LED signals that process.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 10:22:01 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.