ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Options for covering our stage. pros cons of carpet vs wood or something else?  (Read 5975 times)

chris johnson

hey hey all. not sure if this is the place to discuss this. we are redoing our stage at the music venue i work at. 900 cap old movie theatre renovated into a music venue. we have always had a carpeted stage, but my coworker wants to go without carpet, and i have really never heard much about the pros and cons of either, so i was wondering if anyone had any opinion on this. thanks for your time.

also looking for recommendations on other things to cover the stage in besides carpet, if anyone has ideas.

Robert Healey

hey hey all. not sure if this is the place to discuss this. we are redoing our stage at the music venue i work at. 900 cap old movie theatre renovated into a music venue. we have always had a carpeted stage, but my coworker wants to go without carpet, and i have really never heard much about the pros and cons of either, so i was wondering if anyone had any opinion on this. thanks for your time.

also looking for recommendations on other things to cover the stage in besides carpet, if anyone has ideas.

There are not too many carpeted stages out there. Masonite is probably the most widely used stage material surface.

Removing the carpet may affect the acoustics, so that should be considered. Commercial carpet doesn't absorb much (very poor in low frequencies), but if the area is significant it could be a problem in the high frequencies. If you already have a room that is too reverberant, you should replace the absorption provided by the carpet with something that works better on the walls or ceiling.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 03:51:17 PM by Robert Healey »

Lee Douglas

Acoustics aside, stage carpets are filthy, disgusting and hold whatever you put into them until professionally cleaned.  While you may not be having GWAR through your venue anytime soon, a medium sized brass section can deploy almost as much of mess into your carpeted stage.  Masonite mops up easily and they can bring a prayer rug, if they have to have it.
My life has a superb cast but I can't figure out the plot...

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography

Every carpeted stage I've ever seen has been utterly disgusting. Every spilled beer and every hocked-up lugie is still there. Gross.

In my opinion Marley is the best stage covering. Masonite or just painted plywood is next.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio

In my opinion Marley is the best stage covering.
Bob's the best installer of this. Give him a call.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA

I like having a hard floor, upon which we can tape down a Marley (or other brand) dance floor. It is too easy to tear up a dance floor when the stage is being used for a wide variety of acts.  Black/grey reversible dance floor provides more lighting options.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Rich Wirz

When we redid our theater stage in 2000 we topped it off with 3/4" MDF, painted it flat black, and it has worked wonderfully for us. Has seen countless bands, many theatrical productions, probably close to 100,000 screws and many lag bolts into it, an average of 4 coats of paint per year, and does not splinter when driving or removing screws.  Holes are patched up with wood filler and painted over.  I don't know if you ever have a need to screw anything in to the floor but if you do MDF works excellent - and even if not it has shown itself to stand up to a lot of use/abuse. 

Scott Hofmann

One more vote for 1/4" masonite.
Scott Hofmann

Len Zenith Jr

I  duratex'ed our plywood stage and it has held up really well for just a bit more than regular paint.

Cailen Waddell

Masonite is fine until it gets wet.  If you lay a Marley, the gaff will eventually destroy the Masonite too. 

Check out polyonyx.  We did our floor and so far are quite happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 12:22:21 PM by Cailen Waddell »

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.