ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice for using what I have for big event...............  (Read 11027 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: Advice for using what I have for big event...............
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2017, 03:18:56 PM »

The big problem I see here is that you just established that will do this type of gig for free! Next year they will come back to you with a bigger grand plan and or a list of complaints from this year that they expect you to take care of for free! You need to let them know what real production would cost for that kind of show.

As for the monitors board being fed from direct outs from the FOH board, there will no fun in that at all!!!!!

At the very least any change to the channel trim on the FOH board will change what's happening in that channels monitor mixes. Depending where the direct out is picked off from you may be getting FOH channel EQ and if any channel insert processing back to the monitors. The direct out pick off point may be selectable on your board.
All of the active patching between boards could lead to big grounding problems.

Tim types fast than I do and beat me to some of the same points while I was typing!!!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 03:22:02 PM by Mike Caldwell »

Tim Rose

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2017, 03:38:28 PM »

I caught myself as soon as I typed direct outs....yes they are post fader - id be sending out the 12 matrix outs that the foh has - the foh is actually a monitor board -- dda forum monitor -- i'll check in to renting a snake - good idea

The local power company is donating a cat generator - i have asked for info on the spider(s)....  working on my power dist within racks now - (20a strips)

yes, farmers get it done one way or the other... I promise to use no baling wire ---   

I appreciate the input and taking it all to heart.   I do deserve to be beat up a bit here...but im a softy...its a cancer benefit for a friend (bandmates) child...............

Sub placement;  I have been studying this for a while now....plan to set up the night before and try a few different things.

Tim Rose

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2017, 03:41:27 PM »

Lights:  I was also the light guy until 3 weeks ago.......lights are now provided/ran by others.  I was told they are all LED so no big draw here.  I dont care if they have flashlights at this point. 

Tim Rose

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2017, 03:43:25 PM »

All of the active patching between boards could lead to big grounding problems.

Agreed.

Tim Rose

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2017, 04:02:49 PM »

Where are you located again?

Welcome to the forums.

Near Kansas City

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2017, 04:22:00 PM »

Be careful of the generator.  As is well discussed around here, power is not necessarily good power.  Bad power can damage tour sensitive electronics.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2017, 04:37:52 PM »

OK, I've gotta ask.

Why is the monitor board at FOH and the FOH board at monitors?

lol. I mean, I might do the same for certain reasons, but you've got me curious!
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Rose

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2017, 05:01:58 PM »

OK, I've gotta ask.

Why is the monitor board at FOH and the FOH board at monitors?

lol. I mean, I might do the same for certain reasons, but you've got me curious!

Well in short its what i got....  (you guys are making me show my arse ha)...The "foh" board that is being used as the mb is really my powered alen heath portable gig mixer, the real mb was purchased for my recording studio, the "real" mb sounded so good, i started using it as foh at my barn venue, i dont like to run mon from from foh so the foh got mb duty --  evolution....or just plain corn'fusing....

Just got a text that we now have a real monitor engineer.  Maybe he can provide a proper mb as well.   

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2017, 05:09:37 PM »

Well in short its what i got....  (you guys are making me show my arse ha)...The "foh" board that is being used as the mb is really my powered alen heath portable gig mixer, the real mb was purchased for my recording studio, the "real" mb sounded so good, i started using it as foh at my barn venue, i dont like to run mon from from foh so the foh got mb duty --  evolution....or just plain corn'fusing....

Just got a text that we now have a real monitor engineer.  Maybe he can provide a proper mb as well.

That board is probably going to be a point the artist asserts themselves.  There is a member here on the board very close to Kansas City I know has an X32 you could hire.  That will get you a lot closer.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2017, 06:29:13 PM »

I know how it is. I've done plenty of things backwards because of system "evolution".  No worries, although a word of advice, multiband shows are won or lost on stage with the monitor guy. I'd rather have a top shelf monitor engineer and a half-baked foh guy on any festival show. The monitor guy will keep the stage straight, get bands on and off quickly, fix problems before you can even ask, and make the band super comfortable so they can give an excellent performance. On the flipside, there is nothing worse than having a slow, grumpy, or just incompetent monitor engineer. It will ruin the show and everyone will be looking at YOU since you are the "face" of the PA.

I feel like the FOH rig is fine. Do everything you can to improve the monitor side of things. 4 to 6 mixes with EQ, decent board, split snake, all monitors working properly, and a proper cue wedge for the guy running it. None of this should cost a lot of money to the event. Not compared to renting in an entire PA anyway.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2017, 06:29:13 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 19 queries.