ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY Recone?  (Read 3697 times)

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
DIY Recone?
« on: May 29, 2017, 08:21:14 AM »

I need to recone the 12" dl12bfh woofers in my QRx 112/75 speakers. Lesson learned this weekend about limiters and someone else driving my system hard.

I have never performed this type of speaker repair myself. Is it something that is easy to do correctly?

There are all kinds of kits available. What should I be looking for?

Should I just suck it up and take it to a repair shop?

I'm fairly skilled with mechanical type repairs. This is something I would like to know how to accomplish myself, but in the end, I need speakers that perform as they should.

Thanks for any info,

David

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: DIY Recone?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 08:37:36 AM »

I need to recone the 12" dl12bfh woofers in my QRx 112/75 speakers. Lesson learned this weekend about limiters and someone else driving my system hard.

I have never performed this type of speaker repair myself. Is it something that is easy to do correctly?

There are all kinds of kits available. What should I be looking for?

Should I just suck it up and take it to a repair shop?

I'm fairly skilled with mechanical type repairs. This is something I would like to know how to accomplish myself, but in the end, I need speakers that perform as they should.

Thanks for any info,

David
I would use a factory kit-assuming it is fully assembled.

A "parts and pieces" kit is MUCH harder/slower to deal with and can give very poor results for the beginner.

You want something that will basically "drop in" and you simply glue it down.

Getting all the parts lined up is not for everybody.

I suggest a factory kit-especially if you are wanting to use it yourself.

There are various videos on the web, be sure to look at several, as you may pick up different tips from each one
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 09:10:59 AM »

I would use a factory kit-assuming it is fully assembled.

A "parts and pieces" kit is MUCH harder/slower to deal with and can give very poor results for the beginner.

You want something that will basically "drop in" and you simply glue it down.

Getting all the parts lined up is not for everybody.

I suggest a factory kit-especially if you are wanting to use it yourself.

There are various videos on the web, be sure to look at several, as you may pick up different tips from each one

Thanks Ivan

I've been watching videos. It looks like something I can handle. I haven't found a factory replacement yet. I have a couple emails out.

I did find this pre assembled kit.

http://www.soundspeakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SSR&Product_Code=Electro-Voice-DL12BFH-Kit&Category_Code=KIT

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2017, 11:33:13 AM »

Thanks Ivan

I've been watching videos. It looks like something I can handle. I haven't found a factory replacement yet. I have a couple emails out.

http://www.soundspeakerrepair.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SSR&Product_Code=Electro-Voice-DL12BFH-Kit&Category_Code=KIT

I'm not sure how EV does things now but back in the day you could order replacement cone kits directly from them.  The voice coil & spider were separate parts and you needed the correct EV height gauge but there was no Voodoo - just some finicky assembly, rigorous cleaning & prep, and patience.

You might want to order 2 cone kits in case you have problems with your maiden voyage...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 01:19:01 PM »

Its worth a call to EV. They used to recone blown speakers no questions asked. All you had to do was pay shipping. Not sure how it is with Bosch now.

Barring that, I would take it to a good recone shop. Diy recones only make sense if you have a lot of speakers to do. The glue dries up sitting on a shelf, anf the cost savings isn't that good. I know It only costs me like 40 bucks more to have it done. Well worth it to me.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 01:21:24 PM »

I used one of those pre assembled kits on a Dl15 a few years back, it went in easily and worked as advertised afterwords, the only thing I don't know about is durability as it wasn't my cab I fixed it for somebody else and I'm no linger in contact with them.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 01:24:11 PM »

I've never re-coned a speaker, but I've re-coned cats a few times...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 01:51:42 PM »

I've never re-coned a speaker, but I've re-coned cats a few times...

Re-cone of shame.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 07:01:11 AM »

Thank you gentlemen.  I'm contacting EV and a local repair shop today to see what my options are.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 03:25:07 PM »

I'm glad I took them in. The guy needed a Hammond B3 moved down a couple stairs. I took care of that for him while I was there dropping the speakers off.  He called me back about an hour later and said the glue joints at the spiders broke. He repaired them and traded me labor for moving his organ.

Sweet deal

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 03:25:07 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.