ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightning effect outdoors, in daylight  (Read 6760 times)

Johannes Halvorsen

Lightning effect outdoors, in daylight
« on: May 25, 2017, 06:56:07 PM »

Can it be done...?

We're doing a family event this autumn in celebration of the 500 years aniversery of Matin Luther's publication of his 95 thesis. As part of this we'll have a few short theater scenes. One of these includes the famous thunder storm incident.

Now, this is a play for FAMILIES, so we're not thinking Michael Bay level sfx with Tesla coils or dynamite here. But does anyone have suggestions on how to simulate a thunderstorm with frightening lightning strikes outdoors in sunlight without resorting to pyrotechnics?

The sound effects is easy enough, we have enough subs. But how to make vissible lightning outdoors...?

(Also looking for pointers to other communities that might provide an answer.)

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Lightning effect outdoors, in daylight
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 07:31:23 PM »

...so we're not thinking Michael Bay level sfx with Tesla coils or dynamite here...

Aww, that's no fun!  But yes, it can be done...it's just to what level of satisfaction you're looking to achieve.  Given the unpredictability of the sunlight I wouldn't rely on bouncing light off scenery or set pieces.  Whatever you settle on I'd suggest having the lightning fixtures pointing straight at the crowd.  Any halfway decent LED Par can be seen in daylight if you're looking into the fixture.  The same goes for older xenon strobes.  I'd try to work the fixtures themselves into the set so that they're not distracting yet visible enough when needed.  Maybe some sort of scrim disguise can work?  Just don't melt it!  Or...just don't use light at all - play it up with sound and blocking!  Sometimes omitting an effect is better than doing it poorly.  Good luck, and I'll be curious to hear what other input you get!

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 01:01:49 AM »

The forum called "Control Booth" might be another resource for you for the effects.

I suppose that you could use "lighting bolt" shaped and painted props that could fly in and out to convey the visual effect desired. It is theater, after all, right?  Realism is not always required.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 11:48:04 AM »

Martin Atomics can be seen in daylight. If you point them at the viewer especially.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Johannes Halvorsen

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 01:15:49 PM »

I had a chat with my local sound/lighting company guy today, and he also suggested Atomics.

David Allred

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 01:28:45 PM »

Something fiber-optic-like that is mostly transparent until light is applied.

A scene wall with the bolt(s) routed, with a similar colored wall / curtain behind to hind the bolt.  Back-lit with strobes.

James Feenstra

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 01:17:06 PM »

what about an upstage low res video wall with some lightning animations?

couple this with a couple of atomics on stage hung in the wings to make the stage flash and you'd probably get the effect you're looking for
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Steve Kosiba

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 11:44:26 AM »

I'd recommend using both a few Atomic 3000s (old style, 208v, not the LED ones) and a high power mover or two with a lighting-bolt shaped gobo.  That way you can generate a flash shoots at the audience in sync with the strobe hit, and create a really cool look.  If you use two movers and a few strobes you could have a really nice effect.

David Buckley

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 10:59:36 PM »

Whereas you can see Atomics in daylight, when the sun is out then there isn't going to be an effect.

The most powerful tool I know in this class is the Lightning Strikes, the big boy of which has the power of 80 Atomics, but even so, unless you can get some shade or get out of the sun, it'll still be invisible.  The sun really is a serious impediment to electric light.

Lightning Strikes! by Lumisys.

Try the film rental shops for this kit.  And I'd have the shop give you a demo in the yard before committing to hire, you still may be disappointed...

Johannes Halvorsen

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 07:58:39 AM »

While the thought of a 250KW strobe is intriguieng, I don't think it's realistic to rent this for a payable price in Norway...

On a related note: It would be fun to see the technical spec sheet for a small thermonuclear device used as stage pyrotechnics... ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 07:58:39 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.