ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: XR18 scene changing  (Read 6819 times)

David Allred

XR18 scene changing
« on: May 25, 2017, 12:19:36 PM »

I am slowly talking myself into getting one.  I currently use a MizWiz3 16 ch.
My primary usage is multi-act, single performance events.  Think corporate event that includes a talent show, with attendees being the talent.  There is a closed tryout where maybe 15 acts try out for 6 - 9 spots.
I usually make settings' and inputs' notes and dial them up when there turn comes.  Inputs are typically 3 mics (for vox or acoustic guitar), 2 DIs for acoustic guitar, keyboards, music trax, and a headset mic when appropriate.  Every possible combination of inputs is normal from act to act.
Mixed in are MC banter (generally duos)  (separate mics from talent), skits which may use a narrator, short speeches and some fill music here and there.

I said all that to say this.  I have played with the app and saved a view scenes and love the quick recall that would be great for changes in monitor levels, different effects, and bringing up all the right inputs needed. 
1) Is there any interruption of output if an active channel is scened in consecutive scenes (when the scene changes)?
2) Can a channel be set up so that it is not affected by a scene change and remains un touched if in use?  (MC mics not affected by scene changes, for example.)

Thanks

David Winners

• Bryan, OH

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: XR18 scene changing
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 01:16:13 PM »

I don't know how the XR handles it but what you're looking for is usually called "recall safe" which prevents the selected channel or parameter(s) from being changed by a scene recall.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 03:29:19 PM »

I don't know how the XR handles it but what you're looking for is usually called "recall safe" which prevents the selected channel or parameter(s) from being changed by a scene recall.
Natively, the XR mixers do not incorporate channel safes in scene or snapshot storage. There are third party scene editors that allow you to do this. I have no experience with them myself.

David Allred

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 03:33:46 PM »

Natively, the XR mixers do not incorporate channel safes in scene or snapshot storage. There are third party scene editors that allow you to do this. I have no experience with them myself.

Can you confirm if there is any dead air during the scene change? 

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 04:38:17 PM »

My XR18 is in storage. I won't have it out until Saturday. I'd be happy to report back at that time if no one else has answered by then.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 09:06:08 PM »

I don't own an XR and I haven't used one.... but.... I've found no muting of external signals or physical outputs.  If you note my very specific use of words, it's because they (and every console I've used) mutes the FX signal *at the effect* if there is an FX parameter change as part of the scene recall (outboard FX do so, too).  This could mean a reverb tail or repeating echo gets cut off when you hit recall.  If you've already pulled down the FX returns (or muted the sends earlier) there is no audible change that I've noticed in normal, live use.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 09:29:46 PM »

I just tried recalling snapshots while audio was playing. I hooked it up to my TV for a source. I created a few test scenes and switched between them. There was no dropout of the audio.

I also leaned that when you save the snapshot you can pick which parameters to recall when you hit Go.  If you have your emcee mics on channels 13 & 14, you would uncheck 13 & 14 from the recall scope and then click Save. When you recall the snapshot it will leave 13 & 14 unchanged. This works for all of the parameters on the list. See the screenshot below. You can save 64 snapshots.

I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

David Allred

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 07:36:49 AM »

I just tried recalling snapshots while audio was playing. I hooked it up to my TV for a source. I created a few test scenes and switched between them. There was no dropout of the audio.

I also leaned that when you save the snapshot you can pick which parameters to recall when you hit Go.  If you have your emcee mics on channels 13 & 14, you would uncheck 13 & 14 from the recall scope and then click Save. When you recall the snapshot it will leave 13 & 14 unchanged. This works for all of the parameters on the list. See the screenshot below. You can save 64 snapshots.

That's great.  The PC-edit version I have does not have SnapShots.  Is that an add-on?  Where can I get it?

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 07:58:15 AM »

That's great.  The PC-edit version I have does not have SnapShots.  Is that an add-on?  Where can I get it?

Once you connect to the XR via Ethernet or wifi, the Snapshot controls appear on the right below the scene controls. You just set the board as you want it, click the Snapshot icon, give it a name, set the recall parameters and then save. To recall the snapshot use the left right arrow to get the snapshot you want, click Go and then click OK on the ****** confirmation dialog that pops up.

I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

David Allred

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 09:10:40 AM »

Once you connect to the XR via Ethernet or wifi, the Snapshot controls appear on the right below the scene controls. You just set the board as you want it, click the Snapshot icon, give it a name, set the recall parameters and then save. To recall the snapshot use the left right arrow to get the snapshot you want, click Go and then click OK on the ****** confirmation dialog that pops up.

That was my suspicion, since it is saved in the unit not the laptop.  Thanks for verifying.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 09:10:40 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.