ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ethical dilemma - Fakeheiser mics  (Read 6048 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Ethical dilemma - Fakeheiser mics
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 03:50:55 PM »

I use my GLS ES57 - SM57 clone from time to time - its pretty good. Not actually a fake but an obvious clone of course with a slightly different look to an SM57 but my point is, they can sound half decent and can still have a use. Maybe just do something to them to easily distinguish them from the real thing and throw them in your mic box just in case.

I'm sure the band name "Half Decent" is already taken, but if not...DIBS!

Or maybe NDCNT...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 04:13:57 PM »

since they work as they should just use them. when they stop working thow them in the scrap bim

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 04:16:41 PM »

I'm sure the band name "Half Decent" is already taken, but if not...DIBS!

Or maybe NDCNT...
That's great band name....mmm
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 04:24:51 PM »

Would trying to remove the Sennheiser branding and just selling them as unbranded work if it's possible then there can be no question that they are genuine Sennheisers.

I would try to remove the branding whether or not you are keeping them or disposing of them. That will help prevent them being mistaken for the real thing either way.

Should you decide to sell or donate them, you might get away with saying something like "Unbranded microphone, similar to Sennheiser e845. Made in China by unknown manufacturer. Minor cosmetic damage where original markings were removed."
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 07:27:46 PM »

Prop mics?  Schools and churches often use crap mics for kids to learn mic handling.  I had a pastor who wanted to do a mic drop once.  Handed him a bad mic I had around for just such an occasion.

Not sure what your line of business is, but in club land I'd drop one of these in front of singers who don't respect equipment.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 09:23:59 PM »

Yes, but still deface/remove the plagiarized logos...

+1

I had acquired some "Made in the U.S.A." 6L6GC tubes that turned out to be very poor Soviet block bootlegs.  They wound up getting sold in a spare Twin Reverb, AFTER I'd steel wooled off all the labeling.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 10:01:42 PM »

Prop mics?  Schools and churches often use crap mics for kids to learn mic handling.  I had a pastor who wanted to do a mic drop once.  Handed him a bad mic I had around for just such an occasion.

Not sure what your line of business is, but in club land I'd drop one of these in front of singers who don't respect equipment.

This is exactly what I was thinking.
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 11:30:28 PM »

I am not selling them at this time.  Just soliciting advice on what to do with them.  I prefer not to keep them as I have no use for the Fakeheisers, but, yes, donating them did cross my mind - with full disclosure, of course.

Use them as utility mics until they shit the bed. No need to lose sleep over this, but if you sell them, then sell them for what they really are.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 12:27:28 AM »

I use my GLS ES57 - SM57 clone from time to time - its pretty good. Not actually a fake but an obvious clone of course with a slightly different look to an SM57 but my point is, they can sound half decent and can still have a use. Maybe just do something to them to easily distinguish them from the real thing and throw them in your mic box just in case.
I have a few of those.  Beta clones more than SMs.  I really like them on snares and guitar amps, more so than an SM57.  The shock isolation sucks so you can't use them on a floppy stage or hand held.

As for the Fakeheisers, I'd treat them the same way I do with my GLS mics.  Maybe paint a band around them so as not to confuse them with real ones as they likely have similar poor isolation.  And then keep them as spares/extras.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 09:26:49 AM »

Thanks, everyone.  I am going to scrub the fake logo off the mics this weekend and either donate the mics or put them into the "drunk mic" kit - mics for the drunk guy at a wedding. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 09:26:49 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.