ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ethical dilemma - Fakeheiser mics  (Read 5997 times)

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
Ethical dilemma - Fakeheiser mics
« on: May 25, 2017, 10:48:33 AM »

Back story: several years ago, before I knew better, I bought three Sennheiser e845s mics from Fleabay.

Current dilemma:  After learning about fake mics on Fleabay and running across a few here and there, I figured it would be wise to check the 845s and see if they are genuine or Fakeheisers.  Short version - the Fleabay 845s are fake.  Thankfully, all my mic purchases since then have been from authorized retailers and all my other Sennheisers are genuine.

So, what do I do with these things?  I cannot in good conscious sell them as real mics.  The downside is that they actually work and sound fine.

Suggestions?

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Ethical dilemma - Fakeheiser mics
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 10:53:37 AM »

Back story: several years ago, before I knew better, I bought three Sennheiser e845s mics from Fleabay.

Current dilemma:  After learning about fake mics on Fleabay and running across a few here and there, I figured it would be wise to check the 845s and see if they are genuine or Fakeheisers.  Short version - the Fleabay 845s are fake.  Thankfully, all my mic purchases since then have been from authorized retailers and all my other Sennheisers are genuine.

So, what do I do with these things?  I cannot in good conscience sell them as real mics.  The downside is that they actually work and sound fine.

Suggestions?
No dilemma. List them *exactly* what they are:
"I purchased these here on eBay a few years ago. After my purchase, and beyond the window that I could have returned them, I learned that they are not genuine Sennheiser microphones. However, in use, they sound good and are functional microphones. I have since replaced these with all genuine Sennheiser microphones, and would like to sell these on to someone who might be looking for a good used microphone, and understands that these are not genuine Sennheiser microphones."

Maybe list them "For Parts or Not Working" even though they are working, just to cover your bases. But overall, be very clear that these are NOT genuine Sennheiser microphones, and the price reflects that.

The only problem is that Sennheiser likes to shut down counterfeit mic auctions (I think they still have a list of black listed/known knock-off retailers on their website) so even though you're being absolutely forthright with the situation and condition, they may still want you to pull the listing. So, a local sale through Craigslist might be better.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 11:39:16 AM »

Dumpster...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 12:01:55 PM »

I've sld a couple of faux shures this way. I think I got 5 bucks a piece for them.

I've even sold non-working rat-shack mics on craigslist. Its amazing what some people will buy.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Tim Halligan

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 12:13:27 PM »

I'm confused.

If they work well, and sound good, why are you selling them instead of continuing to use them?

If you do want to be rid of them, perhaps you could donate them to your local school...with full disclosure about their questionable pedigree.

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 01:12:48 PM »

Would trying to remove the Sennheiser branding and just selling them as unbranded work if it's possible then there can be no question that they are genuine Sennheisers.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 02:50:43 PM »

I'm confused.

If they work well, and sound good, why are you selling them instead of continuing to use them?

If you do want to be rid of them, perhaps you could donate them to your local school...with full disclosure about their questionable pedigree.

Cheers,
Tim

I am not selling them at this time.  Just soliciting advice on what to do with them.  I prefer not to keep them as I have no use for the Fakeheisers, but, yes, donating them did cross my mind - with full disclosure, of course.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 03:03:40 PM »

I am not selling them at this time.  Just soliciting advice on what to do with them.  I prefer not to keep them as I have no use for the Fakeheisers, but, yes, donating them did cross my mind - with full disclosure, of course.
Yes, but still deface/remove the plagiarized logos...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 03:11:07 PM »

Would trying to remove the Sennheiser branding and just selling them as unbranded work if it's possible then there can be no question that they are genuine Sennheisers.
The shape would still be a giveaway as to what brand they purport to be. I think it would be better to be absolutely open with the disclosure as to what they are (or aren't).

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 03:38:03 PM »

I use my GLS ES57 - SM57 clone from time to time - its pretty good. Not actually a fake but an obvious clone of course with a slightly different look to an SM57 but my point is, they can sound half decent and can still have a use. Maybe just do something to them to easily distinguish them from the real thing and throw them in your mic box just in case.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 03:38:03 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.