ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: which Windows tablet or laptop?  (Read 6200 times)

Douglas R. Allen

Re: which Windows tablet or laptop?
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 05:22:36 AM »

I'm having too many problems trying to run Windows on my Mac and I would like to start using separate machines.

Any recommendations for a windows tablet or laptop that isn't going to cost $1000 or more?  All I plan on using it for is audio software such as Digico, Avid, Waves, etc.  I just need to be able to create/edit show files for the most part.

I've had very good luck with Lenovo Flex 4. 256 gig SSD hard drive, 8 gigs ram with i5. The solid state HD boots very fast which I find a plus.

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Flex-2-Touchscreen-80SA0004US/dp/B01FJFMKUI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495704039&sr=8-3&keywords=lenovo+flex+4+1470
Douglas R. Allen

Thomas Le

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 03:25:13 PM »

After Superfish, I don't bother with Lenovo. I currently run with a Dell Latitude E6440 fully spec'd out with i7, 16GB ram, and dual 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD that replaces the DVD drive. I previously had a HP EliteBook 8440p with i5, 8GB RAM and same dual 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD that replaces the DVD drive but it kept dropping the internal soundcard... but it was a really rugged laptop, better material than my current Dell.

TL,DR - Dell and HP business laptops are the pick.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 03:31:14 PM »

After Superfish, I don't bother with Lenovo. I currently run with a Dell Latitude E6440 fully spec'd out with i7, 16GB ram, and dual 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD that replaces the DVD drive. I previously had a HP EliteBook 8440p with i5, 8GB RAM and same dual 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD that replaces the DVD drive but it kept dropping the internal soundcard... but it was a really rugged laptop, better material than my current Dell.

TL,DR - Dell and HP business laptops are the pick.

"Superfish" was only on some Lenovo consumer products, and none of the profession/business class products - which is also true of the bloatware on Dell & HP computers - and Lenovo no longer has an association with Superfish Development.

I'd not be so fast to write off Lenovo or to claim that as a brand neither Dell or HP has or had similar adware.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Thomas Le

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 08:43:07 AM »

"Superfish" was only on some Lenovo consumer products, and none of the profession/business class products - which is also true of the bloatware on Dell & HP computers - and Lenovo no longer has an association with Superfish Development.

I'd not be so fast to write off Lenovo or to claim that as a brand neither Dell or HP has or had similar adware.

The thing is that Lenovo never learned their lesson. Below is events after Superfish, this all happened in the same year of 2015.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150812/11395231925/lenovo-busted-stealthily-installing-crapware-via-bios-fresh-windows-installs.shtml
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/now-three-pre-installed-malwares-lenovo-laptops/

I'll probably knock off HP to be in a similar boat with Lenovo when they did the keylogger on their audio drivers a few weeks ago.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 10:46:28 AM »

I'm a diehard Mac guy and like the OP, had issues running a virtual install of Windows on my MacBook Pro Retina. Performance was wonky and it had a hard time working with our Enttec DMX Pro Mk2 USB controller.

So, I found a Thinkbook R400 on craigslist for $80. Had a fresh install of Windows 7. I spent $34 on a 128GB SanDisk SSD drive and cloned the Win7 disk to the SSD. I spent another $28 on additional RAM and now have a laptop that runs our lighting programs and serves as a back-up controller for the X32R, Venu360, and Smaart (all of which run primarily on the MacBook Pro and/or iPad Pro).

If you're not in a huge hurry, you might consider scouring craigslist for a gently used, older Thinkpad (or similar). For about $60-$70, you can easily upgrade the drive and memory and should be golden. The craigslist Thinkpad with the new SSD boots nearly as fast as the MacBook and doesn't exhibit any performance issues at all.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2017, 12:19:00 AM »

I just switched my work computer from a Mac Air to a Lenovo Carbon so I can run CAD viewers that don't behave on VM.  It's not quite up to the Air, but close.  I just bought a Lenovo 100S for $180 to replace a Dell Laptop that was driving me crazy.  Slowest computer I've ever had.  Constantly seems to be doing something other than what I asked it to do.  Have had similar issues with HP although not as bad.  All this bloatware in the way.  The Lenovo seems to be fairly clean.  Keyboard isn't as good as my Carbon but better than the $400 Dell.
If I get a controlless small mixer I may use this thing as a hardwired back up.

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 12:16:31 PM »

With regards to bloatware, why does not everybody do a clean install on a new purchase ? Even simpler with Win10, reset PC option.
My RTA is always flat.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2017, 12:16:31 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.