ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hog 500/1000 console  (Read 6693 times)

Gary Fitzpatrick

• Fermanagh, Ireland
Hog 500/1000 console
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 09:09:30 AM »

I have two functions for whatever I go with

1) this will be my most used setting when I'm running sound for folk concerts. I have maybe 8 conventionals for front lighting, and then maybe 8 RGB pars on a back truss, and a few RGB light bars on the floor. I normally set these just on a simple chase nothing too fancy...maybe 6-10 cues in each chase.
Occasionally I have a few movers for effect. Again nothing too special just normally have them doin effects to add to the show.

2) an odd time I do theatrical events where I have different cues programmed into a cue stack and just need to bump through them as needed. This is again just maybe 12-24 conventionals and a few led pars on the stage.

I am not opposed to a laptop based system. And I am only using MagicQ a few months so I'm not opposed in any way to learning a completely new system

I do want physical controls that is my only stipulation at the moment :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:11:43 AM by Gary Fitzpatrick »
Allen Heath GL2000, EV sx300 over Community pro Subs, EV s-200 monitors, Zeck amplification

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Hog 500/1000 console
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 06:11:31 PM »

The ETC doesn't look much more advanced than Martin's MPC, which will give you a free universe to play with and will work with almost any midi controller of your choice (running MPC Tools). Maybe it'll work for you, but it looks "meh" to me.
What's your experience with this product to justify the disposition of "meh"?

In any case, TJ is absolutely correct - both the SmartFade and ColorSource Series are far below the capabilities of MagicQ or M-PC.  However...do the advanced capabilities really matter for what Gary needs to do?  For instance, MagicQ supports 3D pixel mapping.  Since Gary's rig doesn't do that and (presumably) won't in the immediate future, that's a useless capability to him.  Does he really need 64 universes?  No.  I went through the same debate when making the jump from PC to console.  No matter what you choose there will be compromises.  It's up to Gary to figure out which compromises he's willing to make.  Gary, that's why we kept asking what your intended use is for this - some features you'll be able to do without, others you won't.

The nice thing about the ColorSource boards is that despite their small size they still contain numerous features seen on ETC's higher-level desks (albeit a very diet version in most cases).  The SmartFade Series uses a more unique syntax.  As far as I can tell by comparing, ColorSource exceeds the SmartFade in just about every parameter except for the unique ability to use a SmartFade board with a computer running SmartSoft.  It's like a wing but in reverse.  I've felt that it helps to open the board up a bit and make it feel more like a "real" console, but unless that matters to you the ColorSource would otherwise be superior.  Now, if you go with the AV variants of the ColorSource you can use a few more advanced options like networking and a separate monitor (if you're not using the HDMI output for media). 

Try to get a demo of the board if you can.  I think it'll be a good fit for what you want and there are a lot of useful features packed in there - things that you'll use right now and not "maybe in a few years if my system grows"...enough features to justify the price in my option.  The SmartFade is a bit more of a stretch bang-to-buck wise...I walked away wanting more.  Even if you can't see a demo in person, ETC keeps a very complete library of videos on Youtube describing in detail the use of their desks.  Just be sure you completely understand how ETC allocates "Channels" on their boards to ensure you get the proper sized console for your needs.  My only real gripe about the desk is the extensive use of the touchscreen.  I prefer buttons, especially for a keypad.  Even still, the number of faders and buttons you'll get with this will far exceed any budget wing for software unless you want to hack a MIDI solution together.  This was a big deal for me when buying my Congo Kid.  I wanted plentiful faders, buttons, dedicated "Go" playback, and equal busking/theatrical capabilities.  You'll get that with a ColorSource at the expense of a few other features that software might have but ColorSource won't.  Cobalt/Congo is a more "complete" desk but at a much higher price point.  To me it was worth it.  From what you're saying, even the smallest Cobalt desk (Congo Kid) would be massive overkill for what you need. 

It's all trade-offs.  If you're really serious about this, list out your "Must Have", "Nice to Have", "Irrelevant", and "Gripes" when comparing different platforms and see where you end up.  A few other hardware boards you can look at include the Strand 250ML along with a few offerings from Jands and Pathway.  I'm not a huge fan of Strand's products at this price point based mostly on my experience with the 300/301 Series desks, but you'll get that dedicated keypad here.  I can't speak to Jands or Pathway aside from that a lot of people use them and like them.  Hope all this helps!

Stelios Mac

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2017, 12:54:42 AM »

What's your experience with this product to justify the disposition of "meh"?
I haven't used it, but from what I've seen on online videos, it's a console targeted to novice users without any serious advanced features. I mean, for someone used to the capabilities of MA2 software, it's got to look "meh"  ;D
Even the promotion video consists of a lady showing you how to make the fixtures red or blue   ::)

An M-Touch wing and a touchscreen laptop should cost a bit less and give him more functionality should he require it in the future (If other LDs use his rig from time to time they'll be much happier as well).
It's a bit like audio boards. If you need 24 channels now, you're gonna need 32 sometime later.

Try to get a demo of the board if you can.
This ^
Lighting consoles are a very "personal" thing.
M-PC is easy to demo, just download the software. Try demoing the ETC as well if you're interested in it.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 03:45:59 AM by Stelios Mac »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2017, 06:01:25 AM »

I haven't used it.
My point exactly.

Stelios Mac

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2017, 06:53:17 AM »

My point exactly.
Not that I implied otherwise, I did say it "looks", not "is" after all.

Steve Kosiba

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 11:36:20 AM »

I have two functions for whatever I go with

1) this will be my most used setting when I'm running sound for folk concerts. I have maybe 8 conventionals for front lighting, and then maybe 8 RGB pars on a back truss, and a few RGB light bars on the floor. I normally set these just on a simple chase nothing too fancy...maybe 6-10 cues in each chase.
Occasionally I have a few movers for effect. Again nothing too special just normally have them doin effects to add to the show.

2) an odd time I do theatrical events where I have different cues programmed into a cue stack and just need to bump through them as needed. This is again just maybe 12-24 conventionals and a few led pars on the stage.

I am not opposed to a laptop based system. And I am only using MagicQ a few months so I'm not opposed in any way to learning a completely new system

I do want physical controls that is my only stipulation at the moment :)

In that case, if you've already invested time in to learning the Chamsys software, I'd recommend the Mini Wing or PC Wing Compact, both have DMX out onboard as well.  If you want to try out something else, I've had great success with teaching people Martin M-PC, and it's my favorite software right now after MA2.  Very easy to learn but incredibly powerful.  A Martin M-Touch and/or M-Play is very affordable and easy to use, and also has DMX out onboard.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2017, 11:36:20 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.