ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Downward firing speaker installs?  (Read 642 times)

Jay Brett

Downward firing speaker installs?
« on: May 22, 2017, 06:39:21 pm »

Hey all,

We have dozens of nightclubs and in most of them, the original installer/designer installed most of the speakers overhead, firing straight down. It's all great products, Turbosound mainly with some Martin sprinkled in here and there. I've never been a fan of this, but was wondering if there are any advantages of speakers firing straight down?

The one club I'm wanting to change has a dance floor around 20'x20' or so. There are 8 Turbosound TXD-151's evenly spaced overhead. I'm considering only using 4 in clusters of 2 in the corners of the downstage edge. Subs are located underneath the stage, so this would automatically clean up some phase issues.

MikeHarris

Re: Downward firing speaker installs?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 04:33:38 am »

Having done over 50 clubs in the past 45 years we have never fired the speakers at the floor.
I believe you are right to question placement. Usually when the dance floor space is well defined we "4 corner" the system...cheating placement as needed.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 06:43:09 am »

Usually when the dance floor space is well defined we "4 corner" the system...cheating placement as needed.
Why 4 corner?
Why not down blow?
What is the advantage and disadvantage of each?
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 10:35:39 am »

the original installer/designer installed most of the speakers overhead, firing straight down.

the 1970's called, they want their disco back. :)

Seriously though, all the straight-down rigs I've encountered are ancient and so are the owners.  I've always equated it with some fad from the late 70's/ early-80's

It does have the one advantage of really deadening the bleed from the dance floor in all the perimeter seating and bar areas -but only when the floor is full (-which is rare in those types of gin-mills anymore!)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Jay Brett

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 05:29:19 pm »

I've never really understood it. I've never done the 4 clusters on the 4 corners of the dance floor. How do you properly delay everything? For example, if all 4 speakers are aimed at the center of the dance floor, there will surely be some cancellation?

MikeHarris

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 07:06:03 pm »

I believe we called this "cross-fired stereo" made a bit more complex if it was a hybrid live/disco club. The advent of DSP has made this easier but we often used custom built API summing in the dark days of analog.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 07:12:50 pm »

I've never really understood it. I've never done the 4 clusters on the 4 corners of the dance floor. How do you properly delay everything? For example, if all 4 speakers are aimed at the center of the dance floor, there will surely be some cancellation?
Yes, lots of cancellation, and it was different at different positions.

But people are sometimes more interested in "the experience" than actual fidelity.

So it depends on what you are going for with a particular system design.

HENCE the reason to FIRST DEFINE what the end result should be, BEFORE you start to design, so you can design towards that goal
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

MikeHarris

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 05:10:04 am »

Yes, lots of cancellation, and it was different at different positions.

But people are sometimes more interested in "the experience" than actual fidelity.

So it depends on what you are going for with a particular system design.

HENCE the reason to FIRST DEFINE what the end result should be, BEFORE you start to design, so you can design towards that goal

Initially, sound quality was a goal but as systems progressed the experience replaced it.
I was shocked when JBL bullets were hung over the dance floor..obvious time smear displaced from main HF...eventually evolving into suspended arrays with multiple bullets or slots.

One upscale "disco system" we supplied used JBL4350 studio monitors on 2' risers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 19 queries.