ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommend some horn loaded long throw boxes  (Read 29466 times)

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
Re: Recommend some horn loaded long throw boxes
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2017, 05:21:50 PM »

I dont think that such box exists that is not huge and heavy. Especially if we are talking one box per side solution.
Even if that is 3 splayed boxes, you gain better coverage, not getting louder over distance.
So, basically if you want small, portable, "long throw", you need a laying array. :-)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2017, 06:55:51 PM »

I dont think that such box exists that is not huge and heavy. Especially if we are talking one box per side solution.
Even if that is 3 splayed boxes, you gain better coverage, not getting louder over distance.
So, basically if you want small, portable, "long throw", you need a laying array. :-)
It depends on what you call "small, portable"

Is that the total size/weight?  Or individual boxes?

The truck only cares about cubic volume and weight-not how many boxes there are.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2017, 07:02:04 PM »

The truck only cares about cubic volume and weight-not how many boxes there are.

The Danley Matterhorn is portable; small is one of those eye of the beholder things.  Considering the huge pile of boxes it would take to approximate its performance, I'd call it "compact". ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2017, 07:42:53 PM »

The Danley Matterhorn is portable; small is one of those eye of the beholder things.  Considering the huge pile of boxes it would take to approximate its performance, I'd call it "compact". ;)

I've stood in the Matterhorn. I want one a side..

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2017, 09:06:42 PM »

Not to topic swerve or anything (too late) but I recently took possession of a pair of SM80's and got to fire them up over the weekend for the first time. 

I'll save the impressions for another thread another time, but on the topic of single number spec's, it was immediately apparent that they can get a whole lot louder than my EV ZXA5's. EV's spec sheet lists those cabinets as "133 dB peak" whereas the SM80's are listed as "134 dB peak".  So why the difference?

Of course, if you look closer at the spec sheets, the 133dB is half space on the EV cut sheet, and calculated; and the SM80's being a full range box I would assume are rated in full-space (more realistic to the intended use) and I would assume is also a measured number (not built on the hopes and dreams of a marketing department).

One day when my neighbours aren't having a backyard party I'll take some measurements of my findings in a more scientific manner to share.  I'm quite confident there's more than 1dB spread between these two boxes. 
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2017, 06:47:01 AM »

Something two people with a van can deploy without the use of forklift :-)

Not trying to negate the benefit of big point source boxes, just from a small operator point of view several smaller boxes are easier to deploy then one huge box.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2017, 07:36:47 AM »

Not trying to negate the benefit of big point source boxes, just from a small operator point of view several smaller boxes are easier to deploy then one huge box.
But if you are doing shows that could use the output of the larger boxes, then it would take quite a few of those "smaller boxes" to do the same job.

If the job is something for a few small line arrays, then there are smaller single source boxes that will do the same job.

Not every job requires the "big boys"
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2017, 08:03:05 AM »

Of course, if you look closer at the spec sheets, the 133dB is half space on the EV cut sheet, and calculated; and the SM80's being a full range box I would assume are rated in full-space (more realistic to the intended use) and I would assume is also a measured number (not built on the hopes and dreams of a marketing department).

As Ivan himself would say, DON'T ASSUME.
If it's in full space, and measured, and they wanted you to know it, they would have said.
We all take Ivan and "the boys" to be the good guys, and they most certainly are.
But, look at the game they have to play with the rest of the audio world. A world that seems to forget to use the ears when shopping for new gear.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Peter Morris

« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2017, 09:33:08 AM »

Exactly Marjan - There are very few boxes on the market designed with this in mind and it is what promoted my DIY mid-high project I posted on soundforums. Maximum SPL and sound quality from an easily deployed rig that fits in a van. Just slightly heavier than an SM80 but with significantly more output; at 100Hz 15dB more!

An example of some boxes with a similar concept is the TW audio's  T24n  http://www.twaudio.de/en/product/t-series/t24n-the-neoclassic/   ... review https://issuu.com/europ.a./docs/tw_audio_t24n_production_partner

and d&b V point http://www.dbaudio.com/en/systems/category/series/detail/loudspeakers/v-series/v10p-loudspeaker.html
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 10:02:04 AM by Peter Morris »

Peter Morris

« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2017, 09:40:02 AM »

But if you are doing shows that could use the output of the larger boxes, then it would take quite a few of those "smaller boxes" to do the same job.

... and if your larger box needs a forklift and you don't have one, then the big box is useless. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2017, 09:40:02 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.