ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Behringer story, or will I rot in hell for what I have done.  (Read 15036 times)

Brian J Holder

• Classic LAB
Re: Another Behringer story, or will I rot in hell for what I have done.
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 02:11:50 PM »

Not all Behringer gear is bad.

There are a few "gems" out there.

They also had (don't know if it is still made) a 8 channel mic pre that went to ADAT that was a good bit quieter than some "expensive well respected" brands that cost about 8 times as much.

That would be the ADA 8200, a nice pice of kit.

Brian Charbobs

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2017, 08:03:18 PM »

I don't think many people have ever heard me say much good about Uli's product. Don't like it, won't use it, cheap crapola.

And then......

My biz partner and side man of 55+ years decided we needed to record some demo tracks. OK say's I let's do it with the spare 5 minutes I have every day. So last Sunday we got together in the basement demo/recording/practice man cave and fired up the recording system I had moved over 6 months ago. And guess what? Nothing worked. The Soundcraft Performer was passing sound to the Cubase system, but no sound from the monitor distribution system, my old Mackie wackie Onyx 1640. Works great for distribution to my 8 channel headphone amp, JBL monitors, backline through the Soundcraft, stereo system or anything else I attach. So 2 frustrating hours later it's all patched back to everything and working.
I am

Next comes the DAW which is Cubase 8.5 running on a nice Dell workstation with a pair of 24" HP monitors, and then attached via USB to the Soundcraft Performer using the USB/MADI card feeding 32 channels to Cubase. I bring it all up, everything seems to be working fine, the channels are all active, displays work, 2.5ms delay total while monitoring, and off we go.

After a period of another 6 hours, the frustration sets in and we call it a day and the discussion takes place on my front porch over beer, burgers, and sausage from the north end. The sound is just fine, and the recordings are OK, but the constant mouse clicks and keyboard commands have driven us both bat shit. Pile on the open back AKG 240's and something has to change.

The discussion ends with the conclusion the headphones needed to be upgraded (see other post) sooner not later, and something has to be done to eliminate at least 90% of the mouse and keyboard use. That brings us to the conclusion that a work surface, or some type of universal controller. The search begins.

About an hour later the search was narrowed to Slate Media, Avid, Yamaha, and dare I say it, Behringer.

Another hour passes and light dawns on marble mountain. How much was I willing to spend, and what features matter the most. So I set a limit of $1000 for the control surface, and $800 for four sets of cans. In the end I bought a Behringer X Touch, and four (4) pair of AKG 271 mkII closed back headphones, all for $1000.

The headphones are every bit as good as you might expect from AKG, surpassing the sound quality of the 240's, but maybe a little lean on the bass due to the closed back. The isolation is superb, they are very comfortable, self adjusting, come with two (2) pair of cushions made of leather and felt, come with a coiled cable and a straight cable and the bonus feature is they turn off when removed from your head, so no bleed.

My big surprise was the Behringer X Touch. The unit mated with Cubase right out of the box and after a quick upgrade to the latest firmware all of the displays worked as advertised. Nice scribble strips, responsive, quiet faders, decent rotary controls, and very nice lighted rubber buttons, 96 to be exact. Not much of a manual, but learning is half the fun.

To be fair I'll say the build quality is much like the rest of the X series hardware, decent, but nowhere close to the majority of the boards I've used in my lifetime, but more than adequate for the occasional recording duties I wanted it for. What is very nice is the faders and rotary knobs that mate to the Cubase system. EQ adjustments are now done with rotary encoders, volume levels and bus assignment are now done with motorized faders, there are dedicated buttons for the transport functions and three (3) layers supporting up to 24 channels. Another nice feature is the ability top assign more faders by cascading another X touch or X touch compact. It's a universal surface so not everything or every button has a specific function, but the functions that are supported out of the box fill the bill nicely. We'll see just how well this works out over time, but for now I'll say something you may never hear from me again. It's made by Behringer and I like it. I'll rot in hell for this.

See it here.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XTouch
I AM GOING TO LABEL THIS FAKE NEWS.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 03:31:51 PM by Brian Charbobs »
Friends don't let friends use Behringer

duane massey

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 09:18:25 PM »

We tracked an entire CD in 2008 using a pair of AD8000's into a MOTU 2408. Didn't use the mic pre's much, but we were able to record 32 tracks live that way. Worked quite well.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 12:54:39 PM »

I AM GOING TO LABEL THIS FAKE NEWS.

LOL.

Seriously, the X/M32 platforms have proven themselves to be stable and reliable and sonically neutral. I was drawn in kicking and screaming because of earlier prejudices, but I was wrong...

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 01:19:25 PM »

So is the rumor true, Bob is selling all his guitar amps and replacing them with........ nah, I can't even say it.  ::)

JR

I am so ashamed. My neighbors are avoiding me, my dog won't eat, and my wife and daughters have been crying since the package arrived. I told them it's just some faders and buttons for the Cubase system, no preamps, not a mixer at all, but they won't listen.

This morning I went outside and found a giant ear spray painted in black on the side of the house. The police said it's a hate crime, and the insurance won't pay saying I brought this on myself.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

James Paul

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2017, 02:28:26 PM »

I am so ashamed...... I brought this on myself.

LMAO !  ;D

Jay Marr

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2017, 09:19:55 PM »

We tracked an entire CD in 2008 using a pair of AD8000's into a MOTU 2408. Didn't use the mic pre's much, but we were able to record 32 tracks live that way. Worked quite well.

Funny, I did the exact same thing.  ADA800's into a MOTU 2408 MKII.
Took those tracks and gave them to a guy who was advertising on a local message board that he was starting a small studio and would mix your first track for free.  His first mix sounded excellent, so we had him mix the entire disc (for peanuts).
He ran our tracks out of his DAW and into a Midas Venice board....the CD sounds amazing.
He did do some drum replacement on Kick and Snare.....which is no surprise because this gentleman was (a very young) Steven Slate.
Steven not only gets killer drum sounds, he is a great engineer.

Bob, appreciate your review on the X-touch....I toy with getting one of these for fun....this helps give me more confidence.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2017, 05:40:49 AM »

Bob, appreciate your review on the X-touch....I toy with getting one of these for fun....this helps give me more confidence.

I have an XR16 and an X-Touch  I think they are both great.

The Behringer of today is not the same as that of the past.

I also recently bought a Behringer Xenyx X2222 mixer for times when I just wanted something small for a few inputs.  I am impressed.  Internal effects, two separate monitor sends and a simple compressor on all eight mic channels.

Steve.

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2017, 12:49:32 PM »

It's made by Behringer and I like it. I'll rot in hell for this.
The next step in your soundcraft therapy is using the X or XR series consoles ??

Mike Diack

• Auckland, New Zealand.
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 08:25:51 PM »

I'll say something you may never hear from me again. It's made by Behringer and I like it. I'll rot in hell for this.
Unbeleivable - next thing you'll be saying something unflattering about JBL and the transition will be complete.
M

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2017, 08:25:51 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.