ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer - yes - Behringer. XR mixer  (Read 24857 times)

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
Re: Behringer - yes - Behringer. XR mixer
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 05:34:14 PM »

The xr18 is a great product but consider the internal wifi for basic usage and use a proper wifi router for critical work.

I want to make sure you noticed this post. IMO it's the more important factor when considering the XR mixers. The internal wi-fi WILL fail so you must consider this. I have an XR12 that I only use in non-critical applications because of this factor. I'm an X32 fanboy but even I am not enthusiastic about the XR mixers.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 06:09:59 PM »

I want to make sure you noticed this post. IMO it's the more important factor when considering the XR mixers. The internal wi-fi WILL fail so you must consider this. I have an XR12 that I only use in non-critical applications because of this factor. I'm an X32 fanboy but even I am not enthusiastic about the XR mixers.

Yes I noted already being aware of this issue in the last sentence of my original post. I have no intention of using the internal router at shows - maybe just rehearsal. ... But thank you for endorsing this...it seems everyone agrees it would be a bad idea to trust the 2.4ghz WAP provided.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 06:38:51 PM »

I'd say that any 2.4ghz mixer with internal wifi or usb wifi dongle will have issues.

One reason is the antenna placement where it usually ends up in a bad spot covered with cables and other rack gear and often close to the floor so that most of the rf shoots down in the basement and peoples feet while much of the rf gets absorbed by all that metal.

Another reason is that a real wifi router uses diversity using multiple antennas and employs mimo technology to enhance the wifi experience.

As with everything else in the mixer world you'll either like or dislike a certain workflow. Myself and many others like the workflow of the xair and x32 line of mixers. I am a hands-on person and prefers a tactile surface and only like to use tablets and computers for convinience but if I get the chance my fingers are on the console. I even got the x-touch so that I can have a tactile surface to work on when using the xr18. In the end multiple choices are a great option...

Speaking of choices. You can actually use an officially supported raspberry pi credit card computer with the full controlling application.

Yes I noted already being aware of this issue in the last sentence of my original post. I have no intention of using the internal router at shows - maybe just rehearsal. ... But thank you for endorsing this...it seems everyone agrees it would be a bad idea to trust the 2.4ghz WAP provided.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 06:40:57 PM by Robert Lofgren »

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 12:30:19 AM »

I'd say that any 2.4ghz mixer with internal wifi or usb wifi dongle will have issues.

One reason is the antenna placement where it usually ends up in a bad spot covered with cables and other rack gear and often close to the floor so that most of the rf shoots down in the basement and peoples feet while much of the rf gets absorbed by all that metal.

Another reason is that a real wifi router uses diversity using multiple antennas and employs mimo technology to enhance the wifi experience.

As with everything else in the mixer world you'll either like or dislike a certain workflow. Myself and many others like the workflow of the xair and x32 line of mixers. I am a hands-on person and prefers a tactile surface and only like to use tablets and computers for convinience but if I get the chance my fingers are on the console. I even got the x-touch so that I can have a tactile surface to work on when using the xr18. In the end multiple choices are a great option...

Speaking of choices. You can actually use an officially supported raspberry pi credit card computer with the full controlling application.

I use the X series regularly (X32, X32C, and X32 Core), used the X18 a couple times, and played with the Mackie DL16 that my buddy owns.

X32 workflow is different on the iPad, but so much more functionality.  XAir's app feels cheaper, things are different from X32-Mix, but not terrible.  Shares a likeness to the Mackie Master Fader app, which IMHO is probably the worst of the three.  The app feels so cheap, the board never seems to have enough headroom, and I've never been able to get a good mix from it.  After being spoiled by digitally controlled pre's in the X32-Mix app, having the preamp control on the board itself is a major PITA.  I've talked with the band that uses it though and once we get some downtime I plan to try one more time from scratch and build a mix that way if I can't make it to a show, they have it... but we have pretty much used my X32 Core exclusively since Is tarted working with them, and the guys LOVE the X-Mix app especially now that I've gotten them on IEM's in recent weeks.

As others have said, I'll mirror as well, the built in 2.4GHz network on the XAir stuff is horrendous.  Two iPads bogged it down and I couldn't mix from 30 feet away from the board.  Checked wifi channels and switched to a less cluttered channel, and still the same result.  If you do go that route, get an external AP/Router for sure (I recommend the Linksys WRT1900AC, you can pick a refurb unit up for under $100 on eBay, mine's the ACS v2, and I love it, zero issues so far.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2017, 07:12:20 AM »

I have an XR16.  I was going to get an XR18 but I was offered the XR16 by a friend for only £200 so I couldn't refuse.

It has been great.  The first time I used it was a ten hour, eight act event and I had no problems at all.  I would always use it with an external router and a hard wired option.

When I first used it, I considered the laptop to be a back up, but I actually didd 99% of the mixing on it.  I thought I would hate mixing using a laptop (and separate mouse) but I didn't.

I have recently bought the X-Touch controller with motorised faders.  This seems good and just about everything can be controlled with it, but I haven't had a chance to use it live yet.

EDIT: Just to add:  The internal router can only handle four devices at a time.  This means that if you lose connection in a room full of people with phones trying to automatically connect, something else will take your place, even though it doesn't have your password and can't actually connect and you will not get back on unless you reset it.

Steve.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 07:16:06 AM by Steve M Smith »

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 09:30:19 AM »

The XRs are great - as are most of the other budget digital mixers available - and no abnormal noise in my experience.  Your choice more depends on usability and workflow than "quality".

As another non-Apple person, I get on very well with Mixing Station Pro.  I found the whole thing made immediate sense from first use, - extremely simple to use.  And, like others have said, having a laptop available as well is just luxury.

My only thought for you as a QU person is that ithere's surely sense in having your backup mixer in the same line as your main mixer.  Easily sharable EQ settings and FX patches.  Ideally, you'd have scene files that would load on both, for really quick turnarounds if required.

All that said, its hard to deny that the XR units pack a punch, are tiny, and a bargain.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 10:29:38 AM »

I have an XR16.  I was going to get an XR18 but I was offered the XR16 by a friend for only £200 so I couldn't refuse.

It has been great.  The first time I used it was a ten hour, eight act event and I had no problems at all.  I would always use it with an external router and a hard wired option.

When I first used it, I considered the laptop to be a back up, but I actually didd 99% of the mixing on it.  I thought I would hate mixing using a laptop (and separate mouse) but I didn't.

I have recently bought the X-Touch controller with motorised faders.  This seems good and just about everything can be controlled with it, but I haven't had a chance to use it live yet.

EDIT: Just to add:  The internal router can only handle four devices at a time.  This means that if you lose connection in a room full of people with phones trying to automatically connect, something else will take your place, even though it doesn't have your password and can't actually connect and you will not get back on unless you reset it.

Steve.

I use the XR18 as well as the X32-series at work with the X-Touch controller and a laptop and it's a pretty remarkable combination.  I know adding the controller doesn't answer Debbie's initial idea of just using this as a very lightweight backup mix solution, but anyone else that is looking in this direction might want to consider it.  You can do basically all the tactile things you need to do on the controller with scribble strip feedback and it's all over Ethernet so you can be a good long ways away from the mixer....

Except of course you can't plug the headphones in for cueing at that point. That's always the rub isn't it...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Jay Marr

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 12:19:21 PM »

I don't think you'll be disappointed Debbie.  I had a XR18 for a while and it's got an amazing feature set for it's size and price.
I ended up trading it (with $) to one of my band mates for his X32 rack.  So now I have a X32 as a back up.
My band mate had a X32 Rack and a XR18.  I had the same.  We traded because I like the X32 app better, and he likes the XR18 app better.

Now he has 2 XR18 and I have 2 X32 racks.

FYI....lots of people have issues with the Airport Express with all of the Behringer mixers.  I use an Airport Extreme and it's excellent.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 01:50:01 PM »

I don't think you'll be disappointed Debbie.  I had a XR18 for a while and it's got an amazing feature set for it's size and price.
I ended up trading it (with $) to one of my band mates for his X32 rack.  So now I have a X32 as a back up.
My band mate had a X32 Rack and a XR18.  I had the same.  We traded because I like the X32 app better, and he likes the XR18 app better.

Now he has 2 XR18 and I have 2 X32 racks.

FYI....lots of people have issues with the Airport Express with all of the Behringer mixers.  I use an Airport Extreme and it's excellent.

I hope I don't have issues with my Airport Express otherwise getting a different router (WAP) increases the money I am putting into this  set up and I was trying to keep the money down..... My AE has been fantastic for all my other set ups- 2  x QU's and my art net lighting.... :-\
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 02:01:42 PM »

FYI, lots of people have issues with Behringer period...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2017, 02:01:42 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.