ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 10" "better" speakers (DXR, PRX, etc)  (Read 16966 times)

Craig Smith

10" "better" speakers (DXR, PRX, etc)
« on: May 19, 2017, 10:59:48 AM »

With so much good discussion on the DBR10, I wanted to ask about the next level up in 10" speakers.  I was initially going to get a 12" pair, but weight is an issue for me, and with the switch back to ferrite magnets there isn't anything as light as my old PRX612s.  And for what I do most often a 10" will be fine.  There aren't many choices:

FBT XPRO10A
JBL PRX710 (out of production but a few still left)
QSC K10
Yamaha DXR10
Turbosound   iQ10

I was initially leaning towards the iQ, since I plan to get an X32, but they are quite heavy (relatively speaking) which defeats the purpose.  I always thought the K10 was the speaker to shoot for, but after researching it sounds like the PRX and DXR are better choices, with the nod maybe going slightly to the PRX.  So I'm wondering if I should jump on some before they are gone.

Of course, the K10.2 might be good, but it's more money and unknown at this point, but maybe worth waiting for.

Edit: added FBT
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 03:57:24 PM by Craig Smith »

Richard Penrose

Re: 10" "better" speakers (DXR, PRX, etc)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 11:45:47 AM »

I would also stick these on your list to audition :-

FBT Ventis 110a

http://www.fbt.it/-/ventis-110a

FBT Promaxx 110a

http://www.fbt.it/en/products/promaxx/promaxx-110a

RCF 4Pro 1031a

http://www.rcf.it/en_US/products/pro-speaker-systems/4pro-series/4pro-1031-a

RCF Art 710a mkII

http://www.rcf.it/en_US/products/pro-speaker-systems/art-7-series/art-710-a-mk-ii

RCF HD10a mkIV

http://www.rcf.it/professional-speaker-systems/d-line/hd-10-a-mk4

I've actually been really pleased with the Alto TS210a's and find them to be a complete bargain. The Yamaha DXR10's also sound great.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 11:49:07 AM »

With so much good discussion on the DBR10, I wanted to ask about the next level up in 10" speakers.  I was initially going to get a 12" pair, but weight is an issue for me, and with the switch back to ferrite magnets there isn't anything as light as my old PRX612s.  And for what I do most often a 10" will be fine.  There aren't many choices:

JBL PRX710 (out of production but a few still left)
QSC K10
Yamaha DXR10
Turbosound   iQ10

I was initially leaning towards the iQ, since I plan to get an X32, but they are quite heavy (relatively speaking) which defeats the purpose.  I always thought the K10 was the speaker to shoot for, but after researching it sounds like the PRX and DXR are better choices, with the nod maybe going slightly to the PRX.  So I'm wondering if I should jump on some before they are gone.

Of course, the K10.2 might be good, but it's more money and unknown at this point, but maybe worth waiting for.

Having owned (and/or still own) PRX700, DXR and K Series, my recommendation would be for the DXR. IMHO it is superior in sound quality and 'staying power ' than all of these - disclaimer - I haven't heard the iq10.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Richard Penrose

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 12:18:44 PM »

I also prefer the DXR's to the QSC's but haven't tried the JBL's or Turbosound.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 12:29:25 PM »

FYI - the JBL PRX 7xx series are possibly the worst speakers I've ever used. Even the EONs are better than these. Stay away from the PRX.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Thomas Le

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 12:37:40 PM »

FYI - the JBL PRX 7xx series are possibly the worst speakers I've ever used. Even the EONs are better than these. Stay away from the PRX.

I disagree, the PRX710's I have are miles better than the EON of yore though I haven't tried the new EON600. My PRX710's are my primary utility speaker and have come through after all these weekend functions. Too bad the PRX710's don't have a monitor angle, now that would make it really versatile, though I overcome this by using a DI.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 12:54:17 PM »

Horrendous sounding, terrible boxes. Coverage is awful, they have a non-defeatable soft off which powers off the speaker unless you have a significant signal going through them, they require a ton of eq to make them even partially usable. Lobing from these things is ridiculous. Worst powered box ever. An embarrassment to the (once great) JBL name. The one box I will never use again.
Might work for playback music but for a live band or anything with a mic, forget it.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 01:30:14 PM »

Bouncing around in MI level models will get you a variance in sound that different tastes will claim are big differences but to are any real difference you need to step up to a pro box.

Something like the fulcrum fa28 would be my benchmark.

I believe with any box quality of the source, skill of the operator, and the actual physical space it is used in makes a far greater difference than specific model within a price range.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Steve Garris

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 01:50:46 PM »

Horrendous sounding, terrible boxes. Coverage is awful, they have a non-defeatable soft off which powers off the speaker unless you have a significant signal going through them, they require a ton of eq to make them even partially usable. Lobing from these things is ridiculous. Worst powered box ever. An embarrassment to the (once great) JBL name. The one box I will never use again.
Might work for playback music but for a live band or anything with a mic, forget it.

I use a PRX600 system on a regular bases in a Seattle, mixing live rock bands both in clubs and outside. They are fantastic sounding boxes, and I have an SRX800 system to compare with. The system works so perfectly, easy to get good balance, and my EQ is typically flat, or very close to flat. In fact I have an outside gig in the park today with our local Beatles band, that I use this system with for every show. YMMV

Craig Smith

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 03:56:01 PM »

I would also stick these on your list to audition :-

FBT Ventis 110a
FBT Promaxx 110a
RCF 4Pro 1031a
RCF Art 710a mkII
RCF HD10a mkIV

I've actually been really pleased with the Alto TS210a's and find them to be a complete bargain. The Yamaha DXR10's also sound great.

Thanks.  Last time I shopped I had FBT and RCF on my list but sort of forgot about them.  The Ventis, Promaxx, and 4Pro are out of my range at this point, but the ART series was high on my list before.  The FBT X-PRO also looks interesting.  The US and Italian FBT websites have different products so it's a little confusing.

One of the FBT or RCF speakers and multiple monitor angles which was nice.

Yes, I have heard good things about the Altos for the price, and especially the Black series.  Unfortunately the Blacks are very heavy for their size.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 03:56:01 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.