ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 10" "better" speakers (DXR, PRX, etc)  (Read 16788 times)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Re: 10" "better" speakers (DXR, PRX, etc)
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2017, 02:07:54 AM »

. . .Mostly I just do theater and vocal stuff, usually with prerecorded tracks.  At any rate I'm not looking for the best small speaker, but the best one in the class one step up from the DBRs/Eons. . .

If you're looking for a noticeable difference in performance, you'll need to jump away from MI level boxes and into the lower end of the pro audio region. Specific models I'd point you at would be:

Tannoy VXP 8 and VXP 8.2
RCF TT52-a
Used Meyer UPM-2P
Presonus 328AI (Fulcrum FA28 Made overseas)

These are all around $1000-$1500/box. You can contact the manufacturers and have them point you to a dealer or rental provider in your area that will have some units around to listen to. Except for the Persons, these boxes have been used extensively in theater production. It is also wise to talk to the manufacturers about support and spare parts. Meyer replacement drivers aren't cheap.

I'll second Jay's sentiments below about bouncing around MI level speakers. They are all variations on a theme and you will get no significant improvement in quality by upgrading within those parameters. Good compression drivers are expensive. I don't see any value in what would essentially amount to a cross-grade for you. I think that all the people in here arguing about SRX/PRX/EON etc. proves that point nicely.

Bouncing around in MI level models will get you a variance in sound that different tastes will claim are big differences but to are any real difference you need to step up to a pro box. . .
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 02:09:56 AM by Tim Hite »
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2017, 04:58:22 AM »

Fulcrum and Presonus are designed by the same man. But not same at all.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2017, 05:29:37 AM »

I found the qsc k.2 to be overall much better than the older units. I was only able to compare the k12 to k12.2 and the 12.2 was a solid improvement. Much more life, clarity, and punch.

I'd put the k10.2 on your list as well.

This is interesting to know. I'm wondering if QSC will produce a KW.2 range? Could be interesting to see if they step up the KW122, KW152 and KW181 at the same weight or lighter!

If you're looking for a noticeable difference in performance, you'll need to jump away from MI level boxes and into the lower end of the pro audio region. Specific models I'd point you at would be:

Tannoy VXP 8 and VXP 8.2
RCF TT52-a
Used Meyer UPM-2P

These are all around $1000-$1500/box. You can contact the manufacturers and have them point you to a dealer or rental provider in your area that will have some units around to listen to. Except for the Persons, these boxes have been used extensively in theater production. It is also wise to talk to the manufacturers about support and spare parts. Meyer replacement drivers aren't cheap.

I'll second Jay's sentiments below about bouncing around MI level speakers. They are all variations on a theme and you will get no significant improvement in quality by upgrading within those parameters. Good compression drivers are expensive. I don't see any value in what would essentially amount to a cross-grade for you. I think that all the people in here arguing about SRX/PRX/EON etc. proves that point nicely.

I've been looking at the Fulcrum FA12ac and TS212 subs recently and am pretty interested to find out more about these speakers. Fulcrum are releasing active versions of their TS212 subs which sounds promising. Interesting to read that Fulcrum have had some involvement in the Presonus 328AI.
At some point in the future I'll be looking to upgrade my Yamaha DXR15's with something with wood cabinets and the Fulcrum FA12ac, Brooklyn Audio Coax 12 are top of my list but quite beyond my budget at the moment! I may decide to add a pair of Yamaha DSR112's or hang on to see if Yamaha or QSC will be updating their DXR, DSR and KW ranges. The Presonus 328AI looks like it will be worth auditioning aswell!

Mal Brown

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2017, 11:40:41 AM »

After listening to a couple of the competitors, the original K10 still floats near the top of the list for me.  Looking forward to hearing the .2 stuff when I get the chance to AB.  I get that folks didn't like the K series price point but I'm over 5 years in with no failures on 2 K10's, 7 K12,s and 4 KW-181's.    That is not the experience I had with PRX 612's...  yes the K series stuff get's harsh near the limits ... but the limits are pretty dang high for boxes in this category.    I personally roll them off starting between 10 and 12.  Give slight surgical dips at 2 and 4K and HPF around 45, 6db per to clean up the low end.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Scott Bolt

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2017, 12:05:29 PM »

I disagree, how could you possibly compare horrible Eons to PRX7xx? I own both SRX812 and PRX712, and SRX812 sound better and can go louder. But in no way are the PRX7xx  in the same league as Eons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My thoughts exactly.  EON's are worthy of being used as a foot rest at a frat party.  PRX is a solid MI speaker.

Craig Smith

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2017, 02:33:51 PM »

Tannoy VXP 8 and VXP 8.2
RCF TT52-a
Used Meyer UPM-2P

Thanks, I agree that anything noteworthy will be in the $1k plus range.  I had an opportunity to hear a low-end Meyer once and was quite impressed, and was looking at them for a time.  I don't do much anymore though so will have to wait a while before I can justify something like that.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2017, 08:49:34 PM »

Thanks, I agree that anything noteworthy will be in the $1k plus range.  I had an opportunity to hear a low-end Meyer once and was quite impressed, and was looking at them for a time.  I don't do much anymore though so will have to wait a while before I can justify something like that.
My point wasn't that you can't do a show until you can afford far more expensive speakers. My point was to take whatever you have and learn to get the most out of it you can. Don't worry about what box it is, worry about maximizing it's performance.

When I was traveling doing bluegrass, many festival and theater shows were bracketed by "routing gigs", small shows in a variety of spaces where I saw any variety of MI sos provided. THe band paid for me to be there because they believed I could provide a consistent show, regardless of the specific box ( and i had a Sabine navigator tucked away in my travel rack to give me the control to make a difference).

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Ryan McLeod

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2017, 11:25:44 AM »

FYI - the JBL PRX 7xx series are possibly the worst speakers I've ever used. Even the EONs are better than these. Stay away from the PRX.

I wish there was a "Like Button" on here so I could press it afew hundred times.

Craig Smith

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2017, 11:49:28 AM »

My point wasn't that you can't do a show until you can afford far more expensive speakers. My point was to take whatever you have and learn to get the most out of it you can. Don't worry about what box it is, worry about maximizing it's performance.

When I was traveling doing bluegrass, many festival and theater shows were bracketed by "routing gigs", small shows in a variety of spaces where I saw any variety of MI sos provided. The band paid for me to be there because they believed I could provide a consistent show, regardless of the specific box ( and i had a Sabine navigator tucked away in my travel rack to give me the control to make a difference).

Thanks, I get it.  I'm usually in places with lousy acoustics and amateur performers and speaker quality is probably the least of my worries.  It's like performers who think an expensive instrument will make them good.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2017, 04:06:38 PM »

EV ETX-10P is another not-so-cheap 10"

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2017, 04:06:38 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.