ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does this logic (flow) work for a digital mixer (no external inserts)?  (Read 3025 times)

David Allred

My most common set-up requires a huge amount of gain on a podium mic because of low / shy talkers.  To not effect other mics and playback, I insert a Driverack 260 to allow channel-only AFS, PEQ, GEQ, lo-cut, hi-cut, etc adjustments as needed. 

I'm contemplating, as seen in other threads, going to an ZR18. 

Can I have the mic in channel 1 routed to Aux 1 only -> 260 -> back into channel 2?  Does this work?  Are there other ways?  Maybe easier?  Maybe better?

Thanks

Jay Marr

My most common set-up requires a huge amount of gain on a podium mic because of low / shy talkers.  To not effect other mics and playback, I insert a Driverack 260 to allow channel-only AFS, PEQ, GEQ, lo-cut, hi-cut, etc adjustments as needed. 

I'm contemplating, as seen in other threads, going to an ZR18. 

Can I have the mic in channel 1 routed to Aux 1 only -> 260 -> back into channel 2?  Does this work?  Are there other ways?  Maybe easier?  Maybe better?

Thanks

Yes, you can route that way if you'd like.  But I don't think it's necessary.
Just use the tools in the XR18 to adjust on the fly.

I did a show this past weekend for a 'music school concert'. 
My band mate who owns a music school had his annual concert of kids playing a variety of instruments....and I did sound.
I used a X32 Rack, but the XR18 has all the same features I used that day.

This (for me) is the hardest sound gig ever.....50+ kids, all different skill levels, all with their own instruments.
We're talking - mic'd drums, mic'd congas, keyboard direct, 3 guitar amps mic'd, 2 acoustic piezo stick on mics for acoustic guitars, direct acoustic guitar and 3 live mics that were used for either vocals, piano or in front of an acoustic guitar....depending on what each 'act' needed.

Those 3 live mics I had to adjust literally on every song.  The mic would be over a piano for one song.....then the next song/act would be a 10 year old girl singing (very lightly), then the next song had a male vocalist yelling....you get the point.  I needed to do very fast adjustments to input gain/fader/eq(sometimes).
I was able to have the mix in a good place within 5-15 seconds for each act.
Once you get good at the app, making adjustments can be done very fast.
Mixed only with my iPad that day, while sitting like 10 rows back in the auditorium.

I never would have made it through that gig without the X32. 
Putting another piece of gear in the chain to do the same things I could do in the app, seems like you'd be adding more complexity and extra steps to 'adjust' on the fly.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)

Yes, you can route that way if you'd like.  But I don't think it's necessary.
Just use the tools in the XR18 to adjust on the fly.

+1

I don't think you have fully grasped yet the power of the digital mixer. All those tools are available in EVERY channel on the digital mixer, no outboard required. This should be your "slap your forehead" moment. You're going to end up wondering what took you so long to switch to digital.

Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

David Allred

+1

I don't think you have fully grasped yet the power of the digital mixer. All those tools are available in EVERY channel on the digital mixer, no outboard required. This should be your "slap your forehead" moment. You're going to end up wondering what took you so long to switch to digital.

The 4-band channel EQ between the XR & the MW is a wash.  That leaves sending the mic signal (ch 1) to an FX bus (fx 1).  I can gain 4 PEQs on that channel and also insert a graphic EQ.  That replaced only 2 of the tools I listed that are available on the 260.  Yeah, I know that I am relying on the AFS, but I can get significantly more volume (potential) with it than without.  The Crown LM-300A really needs extra help when pushed really hot.  I will try without, but it is good to know that the Aux routing to the 260 is valid, if needed.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound

The 4-band channel EQ between the XR & the MW is a wash. 

Not even close to being a true statement.

If the EQ works on the XR18 like every other digital mixer it allows you to have 4 notches, all anywhere you want them in any width.  MW can't do that. Not even close. 

Plus you have a 6 band parametric on your output. I'd take that over an AFS anyday.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 01:42:21 PM by Scott Olewiler »
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

David Allred

Not even close to being a true statement.

If the EQ works on the XR18 like every other digital mixer it allows you to have 4 notches, all anywhere you want them in any width.  MW can't do that. Not even close. 

Plus you have a 6 band parametric on your output. I'd take that over an AFS anyday.

Yeah, you're right on the 4 band.   But I really want the other mics and playback to not be affected to same amount when using the output PEQ.  I suppose I can pre-add the lost tone in the other inputs.  Yuk, I am not liking that already.
Wait, can I assign to a bus and use the bus PEQ to avoid that?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber

Wait, can I assign to a bus and use the bus PEQ to avoid that?

You can on all the digital consoles I've used. That is also the way it was done on all the analog consoles I used. That is what groups are for, group processing. You want mare eq on that group. Some other uses might be group compression, or group delay, but that is way groups (fixed gain mix buses) are for.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 23 queries.